Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • First time abroad with young family
  • swoosh
    Free Member

Thinking of taking the family abroad for the first time and not sure where to go. Kids are 6 and 4.

Do we go to a Eurocamp place in France or do we put them on a plane and go to Spain or similar for a resort type place with kids clubs and crazy swimming pools?

If you’ve done either I’d appreciate ideas for specific places to go and why you’d recommend them. Also, places to avoid might be useful too.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Don’t overthink it, as long as there’s a good pool, slides etc, kids are happy. I’d avoid anywhere too hot like Cyprus or Greece in peak season though.

Kryton57

That ^^

We turned our noses up at the “Brits in Spain” idea until a n issue arose that meant a last minute deal was exactly that as a week in Ibiza.

Lying around by the pool doing sod all whilst keeping one eye on your kids splashing about and occasional visits to the beach was awesome. It’s enhanced even more by getting an all inclusive option, so you can just feed them, and drink all you want without having to engage much thought or organisation.

Hence, we are doing an upmarket version of that to Menorca this year.

woody2000

To be honest, they’ll enjoy whatever you do 🙂

We did a Eurocamp style place in France last year for 2 weeks, kids (7,5 & 2) loved it. Doing the same again this year, albeit a little further south. We’ve also taken them to Spain which they also enjoyed. For me though – plane + kids = nightmare, car + kids = less of a nightmare.

One thing to note if you do go to Western France, the Atlantic is much colder than the Med. Real shock for my boys last year when the sea wasn’t warm enough to just swim in for as long as they wanted. Wetsuits this year 🙂

We went to this place last year & it was great:

https://www.lagrandemetairie.com/en/

Here this year:

http://www.campinglecurtys.com/

wwaswas

Go wherever you’ll feel relaxed and the kids will be occupied.

ransos
    Free Member

One thing to note if you do go to Western France, the Atlantic is much colder than the Med.

We were in it every day last August – the kids (then 5&2) loved it.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

With young kids you work hard enough as it is so why go somewhere where you need to do your own washing up etc?

From age 3 we have gone all inclusive Greece thing, sitting by a pool etc. (Not our thing but being able to sit down, not cook etc is bliss)

Age 6 upwards we have gone hotel complex again but hired a car so we can get out.

When ours are a bit older I think it will be villa / eurocamp but only when they can help out more

Ours coped with up to about 35 deg heat no probs, but that’s by a pool and air con. Not sure I would want to be in a really hot tent with young ones

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘First time abroad with young family’ is closed to new replies.