• This topic has 16 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by will.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • First road bike, £500 ish
  • mcnultycop

I’m at a point where I fancy a road bike mainly to shift some more weight, a road bike means I can ride from the front door in winter and not have to spend as much time cleaning if I only have a short ride. I don’t want to spend a lot as I’ve not got any room for more bikes in the house and this will have to live in the shed, so about £500ish is my limit.

I definitely want a bike with a compact crankset. The plan is to do one night ride of maybe 90 minutes one evening a week in and around Saddleworth and then maybe similar on a Saturday morning. I’d like something that would be OK for the odd excursion up to Hebden Bridge when I get a bit fitter so I can have a crack at Cragg Vale.

I was looking at this Defy 2 from Paul’s but am not sure if the 24 spoke front wheel is a bit lightweight for me (I’m 118kg currently) Specification on this seems good and I understand Tiagra is decent value kit.

The Defy was more than I wanted to spend and this Felt at Wiggle came up in my searches. I understand Sora is one down the range from Tiagra but still OK kit. This is 9 speed to the Defy’s 10 speed but for an MTBer the 32 tooth big sprocket might be a nice option for me – would the jumps in gearing be too big though on a road bike? I prefer the subtle black looks of the Felt, less attractive to any thief that saw me putting it in the shed, plus it has slightly larger tyres which I guess for someone used to 150mm of suspension either end on 2.35″ tyres might help with any comfort issues.

In terms of sizing I am just under 5’10” but with only a 29″ inside leg (trouser sizing, not “officially measured”) so was thinking the 54cm would be the correct option.

I really think the Felt would be a decent option to see how I get on with road biking (and leave me some cash to try clipless shoes/pedals for the first time) and was going to order one this afternoon, but thought I’d see if the collective knowledge on here could advise. I had looked at the Triban (3 and 5) at Decathlon and am willing to look at any other suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Simon-E

That Felt looks good value and there’s nothing wrong with a square taper BB and 9 speed gearing – the Sora shifters are rebadged version of the previous generation Tiagra, which are great. The gaps will be fine, having the low gears is more important. You can replace it with a closer cassette e.g. 12-27 later.

The difference in tyres is neither here nor there, you can fit 25mm or 28mm tyres on most road bikes.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

I’d be looking on ebay.

put in Battaglin racing bike – suits you sir.

andypaul99
    Free Member

Ebay defo

Theres quite a few bikes on there for that kind of money, and you can always sell it on if you dont like them (road bikes that is)

mcnultycop

Cheers for the replies. I wanted new really, whilst I’m ok with the Allen keys on my MTB if like to have a fresh start on a new type of bike with everything working.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

I brought a 1994 road bike and everything works fine, not had to even touch it yet and that’s 5 months down the line.

pictonroad

Check out the Decathlon B’twin range, happy with mine.

headpotdog
    Free Member

You’ll not go wrong with the Defy. Great frame & 10 speed compact. Sound as a pound 🙂

colin9

I have a Felt Z100 roadie, works ok for me for general fitness and summer commuting. £600 ish new I think, but I picked up an end of season one off Wiggle for about £300, about two years back now.

dsb181
    Free Member

Agree with headpotdog, if I were in your shoes I’d stretch to the Defy 100%.

TiRed

I bought a used alloy Giant TCR with Ultegra for £400. I knew what I wanted in a road bike (it wasn’t my first). For a new road rider and a new road bike, I’d buy that Defy in an instant. Wheels will get a hard time, but they’ll hold up.

PS: You’ll want a Medium and the stock 100mm stem will be a good starting fit. That’s about a 54 and you’ll want a 54 in most other brands (cannondale, Btwin). The CAAD8 Sora is another fine bike you might consider. Both that and the Defy can be adjusted for a high staring bar height/reach.

zigzag69
    Free Member
    mcnultycop

Missed that previous thread as I’ve been abroad. The Forme in there from Rutland looks good value.

mcnultycop

P.s. thanks all though. I’ll see if I can push the boat out for the Defy but the wheels do worry me a little.

Frankers
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2010 Defy, the main reason I went for it was due to the higher head tube and that you can get special Sedu mudguards to fit it

My only problem in the past years has been breaking a few spokes on the rear and the front shifter failing, though this was replaced by the LBS/Madison last week

It’s a good bike though in sure others are ok too

mcnultycop

I’ve just ordered the Felt, I couldn’t justify the extra for the Defy and was a bit worried about the wheels to be honest, plus it meant I could get some shoes and pedals as I’ve never had SPDs before.

will
    Free Member

Good bike the Felt, think you’ll enjoy it.

Plus you can obviously convert it to a winter bike in a year when you want a new bike 🙂

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘First road bike, £500 ish’ is closed to new replies.