• This topic has 19 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by aP.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • First ride with road club….
  • gingerflash

….tomorrow morning. Will I die?

They’re going off at 7.30, which doesn’t bode well. The time trial times posted on their website are pretty frightening. I’ve got to admit, I’m quite scared.

I suppose at worst, I blow up after two hours, crawl home on my own and fill myself with Easter eggs all afternoon while watching Paris-Roubaix on telly.

Someone (Armstrong?) once said “no-one ever died of tired legs”. Is that definitely true? 😕

rOcKeTdOg

take easter eggs with you so if all goes pear shaped you can have a cheer you up snack

gingerflash

Creme Eggs in jersey pocket? Nice idea.

lowey

Good Luck Rich.

I have to say that kind of riding, for me, holds all the appeal of exploring someone else’s nostril with my index finger.

firestarter
    Free Member

what club are you going with

gingerflash

Well, hopefully, I’ll spend the day being slightly challenged for pace, come home knackered, having made some new local riding mates.

fliptophead
    Free Member

Hmm, the Mrs has just suggested that perhaps Tom Simpson’s last words might have been “Ooh, me legs are a bit tired…”

Have a great day!

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

Think Mr Armstrong also said “Pain is weakness leaving the body.” Which categorically isn’t true so I’d take everything he says with a pinch of EPO.

Depends what ‘level’ the guys you are going out with tomorrow are at*. If it’s the guys who are well into their racing season at the mo, they will be working HARD and chances are you will suffer. If it’s the Old Boys or those who aren’t quite as a serious about their racing, chances are you’ll be fine and have a café break at about the half-way point.

The time to go out for club-runs with ‘proper’ roadies is generally Oct-to-end-of-Dec when their racing season is over and they’re just getting gentle miles in before the ‘proper’ training starts again in early Jan.

Let us know how you get on.

(* shocking grammar – apologies)

firestarter
    Free Member

pain is a sensation and sensations are there to be enjoyed. Or so my old army pti used to say 🙂

keavo
    Free Member

will you die? depends on their ability and mentality. be prepared for somebody to put the hammer down just to check out the newcomer. if they are a competetive bunch that could be it and you might not see them again, if they are friendly it will slow down and regroup.

oldgit
    Free Member

You’ll be tickety boo if it’s a big group, just sit in and get sucked along. You might even find it easy, I’ve been out with clubs that were darn slow and I’m a back of the bunch finisher.

oldgit
    Free Member

If just two guys turn up in race kit looking tanned and mean, just ride on by.

cynic-al
    Free Member

“club runs” are usually at a reasonable sociable pace

If it’s called a chain gang then it may be faster

aP
    Free Member

I think that the biggest problem will be a mountain biker riding in a group of road riders hands on the brakes causing carnage behind him. 😉

RudeBoy
    Free Member

They’re going off at 7.30

WTF is wrong with people? 7.30 on a Bank Holiday Monday? Why not just wait a couple of hours, and ride at a more reasonable time?

trail_rat
    Free Member

7.30 so you can get back and spend time with the family perhaps ? not everyone is a pro rider and can ride all day ! We often ride early doors , not uncommon if we doing a century + to start at 6am

Did Gf die ? he hasnt said owt about his experiance 😉

gingerflash

“If just two guys turn up in race kit looking tanned and mean, just ride on by. “

When I saw the machines*, I was tempted to just keep on going, but all was fine. First climb of the day was Norwood Edge, a brutal, long steep thing but I was first over the top by quite some margin so there was no “testing” of me after that. Anyway, there were only four of us, probably because of the early start, but they were perfectly nice guys and we had a great day out, though they did seem to know the most hideous climbs in north yorkshire.

The weather was perfect, I’m fairly knackered and I was home in time to watch the P-R on telly

🙂

roach

After joining a club a couple of months ago, some of these posts are really funny! 😀

Much prefer a big group that a small one as there’s more likely be people of the same or similar ability.

gingerflash

I’d agree with that. I was a bit worried with there being so few riders. A big group will get more spread out, bound to be someone the same speed as you.

aP
    Free Member

err… no. A big group just means you don’t go on the front as much.
    Through and off or 5 minute changes?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘First ride with road club….’ is closed to new replies.