Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • First ride on tubeless and I'm still alive!!
  • steve_b77
    Free Member

Well thoday as I had some time to kill – the wife wanted to spend time together – I suggested a nice morning/afternoon at home 😆

I decided to go about setting up my new wheels (Hope hoops avec Stans 355's) as tubeless, running normal Nobby Nic up front and a Racing Ralph out back.

So off to youtube for these Gorilla[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-H1ib5HdA5M]Tubeless[/url] guide videos, one roll of Duck Tape, two old presta valves, 250ml of Joes no-flats sealant and a track pump.

Started on the front with the HH, followed the taping up of the rims, put the valve in, taped that up, fitted tyre, poured in recommended amount of sealant, seat bead with hands and pump away – I nearly died, 10 minutes of furious pumping 😆 and the tyre went up, and stayed up.

So I moved onto the rear wheel with the RR, now this tyre was bastard-tight on the rim, would it seat/seal would it 'eckers like, this time I had to have a break after 10 minutes of extra furious pumping 😳 and the **** thing wouldn't stay up!

So I took the wheel off the stand, and did that thing like you do with a bucket when you're a kid, swing it round yer head so the water stays in – and you know what it worked, the tyre seated and stayed up :mrgreen:

Left them alone for a few minutes and clocked some leaks, wiggled the tyres about a bit and pumped them back up.

Left them for another 2 hours and put more air in, after another hour checked them for pressure and they were holding nicely – off ofr a ride me thinks.

A quick 75mins round the local woods and not a leak or deflate in sight, proper fun, helped by sooper fast dusty dry trails too – I am a convert 8)

On another note the RR has an amazing amount of grip on roots and general trail type features, especially when climbing and is very fast indeed, I'm finding myself barreling into corners and having to kick the back end out to get the line right, winner 😆

Burls72
    Free Member

Welcome to the club 😀 probably the best upgrade i've done, not for the weight but as you mentioned the grip and improved ride by dropping the pressures.

A tip for you, if you use washing up liquid on the rim and tyre you won't have to pump so hard/much. Also found that when you start inflating if you have the valve at the top and press on the tyre where the valve is so that you seat it and make it seal a bit better the tyre inflates a lot easier. Sometimes you have to wiggle the tyre a bit but you can feel when its seated as the prssure from the pump pushes against the tyre.

MSP

Why gorilla tubeless with stans rims?

Onzadog
    Free Member

MSP has a point.

molgrips
    Free Member

NN is for mud, RR for dry. Run them both front and rear, no need to mix.

But yes, I love tubeless largely for the rolling resistance.

steve_b77
    Free Member

MSP/Onza – you have to use a rim strip of some sort with the stans rims and as I had some gorilla/duck tape I thought why not.

Saved me the price of a roll of stans yellow tape, I know it's only £9 but I had the other stuff.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Sorry, I didn't look at the link. I assumed you'd been cutting up old tubes to make a rim strip.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Nah it's gorilla not ghetto 😉

br
    Free Member

and don't forget to take a pair of pliers (or equivilent) to be able to undo the valve if for some reason you need to put a tube in…

steve_b77
    Free Member

Always carry a little multi-tool thingy with pliers on it 😀

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘First ride on tubeless and I'm still alive!!’ is closed to new replies.