Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • First pedal bike for my son
  • dmorts

I’m wondering when to move my son onto a pedal bike and what to move him to.

He’s currently on an Islabike balance bike with 12″ wheels. He’s 3.5 and slightly less than 1m tall. I’ve just moved the saddle up to the highest point.

He flies along on the balance bike, coasting for ages. He loves to take it into the woods and ride down small drops etc. We could stick with the balance bike and get the longer seat post if needed. But he’s going to move to a pedal bike at some point.

The Islabike he matches now is the 14″ Cnoc Large. I reckon this would last him for slightly longer than year from now, based on the height percentile he’s on and growing 10cm in height. I’ve got a feeling that it might be a bike a year for a while!

Islabikes are quality but I’m not tied to them. I’d most likely be looking at second hand

Any advice on any of this?

abingham

If @weeksy’s small boys bike mega thread is anything to go by the only answer here is an S-Works Enduro.

igm

Islabikes effectively go in half sizes, so typically you buy every second size and there will be two starting points after the Rothan.

Don’t know if that helps.

chestrockwell

My 4 year old daughter learned to ride during the summer holidays and is quite happy bombing around the local pump track on her Halfords Apollo, complete with Unicorns, spokey-dokies and handle bar streamers. I’ll get her a better quality bike when it’s time for gears etc, but I wouldn’t over think it at his age.

drinfinity
    Free Member

We went through the full range of Islabikes as our two grew up. Very impressed with them. Facebook group preownedislabikesforsale is a good place to see what’s available.
    The Creig mountain bike range is very capable, although getting hold of one second hand or new is a challenge.

weeksy

If @weeksy’s small boys bike mega thread is anything to go by the only answer here is an S-Works Enduro

Not necessarily, his riding buddy has a Pivot Mach6 carbon, that’s nice too

rockfield
    Free Member

Both my 2 learnt on an Easy Rider Belter. Brilliant little bike that has now been passed onto a mates kids. Having belt drive rather than a chain is so good for putting it in the back of the car, not getting oil on trousers hands etc etc. Bit pricy but well worth it in my experience.

stox
    Free Member

Frog 43?

My lad got off his Pukey and pretty much rode straight off on it. Been a great bike – just moved him up at almost 6 yr old to a Frog 52

stevious

We got an early rider for our 3yo. Like Isla and frog the second hand value is good so they’re not as expensive as they seem.

dmorts

The Early Rider Seeker looks awesome!

Frog are good too. He used a Frog balance bike my parents had borrowed. Solidly built from good components. I’ve looked at them before and comparing specs they seemed on the heavier side, but still a similar price to Islabike.

zbonty

I went for one of these and pretty happy with it though gone up since I bought last year. It can change in size a bit as they grow. Can also be used as a balance bike at first!

https://blackmountain.bike/products/skog

susepic

Mine went from Balance bike (Likabike) to a Cnoc14 at age 3 (no recollection if it was the large or small). Light and easy small levers. Took the pedals off for the first couple of days to acclimatize and then he just started with the pedals no probs. Lasted for 2 years before being outgrown.

We still have the Cnoc14 that’s looking for new adventures….. The Beinn20 and lovely Creig26 sold over the summer.

richardkennerley

My daughter had a vitus 14. It was great, she’s moved up to the 16 now and when it’s time I’ll move her onto the 20, flogging each one on eBay as necessary.

There’s one in eBay now (nothing to do with me!) Good colour scheme

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vitus-Fourteen-Kids-Bike-/194365866514?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

pedlad

Yep mine was riding his Cnoc at 3.5 – loved it. I’d be snapping that one mentioned above up.

danposs86

We use Frog Bikes, currently got a Frog 40 and Frog 43.

The 40 replaced the 43, it will suit a shorter rider better, has slightly shorter cranks and is a tad lighter than the 43.

What is your sons inside leg?

snownrock

Carrera Cosmos 14″ here. A lot cheaper than the equivalent islabikes and frog (though we have those as well). Still light and good components. Don’t spend too much on something that will get dropped/crashed fairly regularly. Ours has survived two kids so far.

dmorts

What is your sons inside leg?

He’s 40cm (without shoes, probably should check with), seems he’s between a 14″ and 16″ bike, based on various size guides.

@susepic
    I sent a PM about the Cnoc.

susepic

@dmorts – thanks, have sent a PM back

dynamiccoins
    Free Member

My lads had Islabikes and I’d buy them again.

The reason, they are a trusted “name”. You get say 70-80% of the retail price when you sell. But the great thing is if you have the bike for a while (mine were used by both my sons so I had them a while) the retail price has gone up so you end up getting back thereabouts what was paid.

The only slight caveat is the bike needs to be well looked after for resale.

acidchunks

Picked up a Cuda Trace 14 for our youngest’s Christmas present as she isn’t big enough for the frog 48 hand me down from her sister. Didn’t want to spend a wedge on a bike that she’ll grow out of in a year.

On paper it’s lighter than a frog 40 but I’ve not weighed it yet…

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘First pedal bike for my son’ is closed to new replies.