First numpty Pro II question

Home Forum Bike Forum First numpty Pro II question

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • First numpty Pro II question
  • Premier Icon ononeorange
    Subscriber

I am starting my first strip down of a Pro II rear hub. It’s about 5 years old and hasn’t been apart before (ahem).

How the ‘eck do you get the freehub off?! The Hope video shows a nice clean one and he says “twist it and it just pulls apart”. Yeah. Right.

I am twisting in the freewheel direction and pulling away but it’s not having it.

Sacrifice 6 virgins round a bonfire while chanting a Led Zep song backwards or is there a simpler technique here that I’m missing?

Premier Icon Driller
    Subscriber

The axle is probably seized onto the free hub bearings. Pull the spacer off the non-driveside end and tap the end of the axle with a soft-faced mallet. The free-hub will come off on the axle and you can dis-assemble from there.

Premier Icon ononeorange
    Subscriber

Thanks driller. Have been hoofing away with the hammer for about 10 minutes with no luck yet (end of hammer is a mess now!) but after a short break to take Mrs O to the station I will continue to whack it.

Couldn’t find the 6 virgins anyway.

Premier Icon Driller
    Subscriber

I assume you’ve pulled the spacer off the drive-side end of the axle?

Premier Icon ononeorange
    Subscriber

Oh yes – did that first – good question though! It was very rusty indeed.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

If the wheel has a tyre on…

If the end cap is still on, spray some silicon lube onto it (helps to unstick the o-ring)
    If it’s already off, apply a little penetrating oil to the axle/bearing meeting point

Attach a bit of cassette to the freehub (not the whole thing, just a big cog/cogs- to get a grip on)
    Put wheel on blocks of wood, supported by the tyre
    Stand on tyre over blocks of wood.
    Crouch down and grip the bit of cassette (might want to wear gloves)
    Lift while gently rocking back and forth
    (don’t overdo it, a really strong squatter could probably destroy the wheel with the sideloading!)

If it doesn’t come off this way, you’re going to need dynamite

Highland28

A couple if 2p’s between the axle/freehub and your cassette lockring. Gradually tighten the lockring against the 2p and the freewheel will gradually be pulled off. Remember to put a chainring on the free hub so that you can remove the lockring again. It may take a few 2p’s.

sbd16v

i used this trick

worked perfect for me

robhughes

+1 for the 2 pence method.I had one that was absolutely solid on a wheelset i bought.I actually bent the coins it was that tight.Steel washers did the trick.. 😉

rudedog

Be careful with the 2p method – if is really badly seized you could strip the thread on the lockring/freehub before it shifts (I did).

Premier Icon ononeorange
    Subscriber

Thanks all. Halfway there – a stack of coins eventually blew the freehub off but it has then jammed further along the axle and I can’t get the (very tight) lockring off as the whole lot is flopping around. But I have something to work on now.

The Hope video puts me in mind of the Haynes manals for cars – they always use brand new pristine models and make it look so easy, eh?!

Great 2p trick. 2 euro coins also work.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

rudedog – Member

Be careful with the 2p method – if is really badly seized you could strip the thread on the lockring/freehub before it shifts (I did).

+1 for that, they’re not really designed for that sort of punishment, especially if you’re only engaging a small amount of thread.

Premier Icon ononeorange
    Subscriber

Thanks again everyone. Rebuilt the hub now with nice new bearings, will do the freehub tomorrow.

I stripped it as the cassette was wobbling expecting to find a broken axle, but in fact the single freehub bearing had broken up and was just a horrible rusty mess.

Once I got the freehub off, it’s really not been that difficult. A great way to spend an afternoon!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘First numpty Pro II question’ is closed to new replies.