• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • first intimate brushings with the ‘niche’ (29ers)
  • Mat

Right, I’m trying to build up a bike for my dad, he rides not too harsh stuff, fire roads railway lines etc and some slightly rougher stuff but not pushing the boundaries of freeride :p, the sort of stuff I’d happily do on my crosser but I appreciate he’s older and doesn’t want the battering.

Anyway, he’s liking the sound of 29ers (being taller) and mary bars, he doesn’t want an aggressive position, quite upright. so I’m thinking an on-one 29er fits the bill pretty damn well.

It would be used with a suspension seatpost so I’m not too sure whether to go scandium or steel; on one hand the light-weight scandium might make up for the hideous weight of a susp. seat post and it wouldn’t matter about the loss of frame flex in not using steel as you’ve got the seatpost. On the other hand it would be using a susp. seat post in a scandium frame, which I guess could be seen as a crime. Also will the steel be more durable?

Another query is hub gears, does anybody run an Alfine? My dad likes the idea of the simplicity and I thought something like this would be ok for lighter use.

I’m a bit scared I’m romping through a hornet’s nest with a few of the comments above, I usually avoid the niche but seeing as I’m building for a bigger older rider I thought this would be the place to come :P!

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

The topic ‘first intimate brushings with the ‘niche’ (29ers)’ is closed to new replies.