Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • First full-sus bike.. any thoughts on these bikes?
  • ElShalimo

I’m looking to get my first full sus bike. Main usage will be long days out on Dales bridleways and some trail centres like Dalby,C oed-y-Brenin.
    I’ve been looking at 2010 models of Giant Trance X4/3, Giant Anthem X4 and Cannondale RZ one20 as can be had for less than £1200 (Size Large).
    Any thoughts on these?
    Any suggestions of other bikes in that price range?

I know £1200 isn’t much budget but at least there is some peace of mind with a new bike. If I was buying 2nd hand I wouldn’t spend as much cos its bit more risk.
    cheers

backhander
    Free Member

http://www.leisurewheels.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b3s1p8539
    This would get my money although a bit more robust than your choices.
    The Trances are nice though.

wors

Cannondale would get my vote.

cullen-bay
    Free Member

anthem for me, every time… although i own a trance x :/

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

The RZ 120 for sure.

ElShalimo

backhander – I’d looked at that. It’s a thing of beauty in that brown colour!
    My mate reckons its a bit too much bike for what I need and that the extra weight would be a bugger on climbs but much more fun on the descents.
    Having said that i’m 14.5st so a more robust bike might be helpful.

Can’t find any reviews of the lower spec RZ One20…..

wors

There is a review of the rz120 2 in singletrack issue 59 i think.

TheChunk
    Free Member

If you can get over the Halfords stigma there’s some discount on 2010 Boardmans at the moment. Excellent spec for the price.

Kato

I bought a Zesty in the sales for that sort of money. Well pleased with it too

racefaceec90

i have a 10 anthem x2.great bike. :Dshould have added that the x4 will ride just as well (cannot think of a better cross country type full sus for the money)

wors

Evans are advertising the 2010 x control for 1100 i think. Sounds perfect for what you describe.

nuke
    ElShalimo

wors – I haven’t got issue 59, what was the conclusion?

xanboy
    Free Member

Lapierre X-Control is a good bet for what you want there is a good deal here.

http://www.addiktioncycles.com/products.php?plid=m1b56s1p4221

wors

It was benji that reviewed it. He said if he could on have one bike, that would be it.

ahwiles
    Free Member

ElShalimo – Member

I’m looking to get my first full sus bike. Main usage will be long days out on Dales bridleways and some trail centres like Dalby,C oed-y-Brenin.

are you sure you want ‘full-sus’?…

you can get some lovely hardtails for your budget (genesis altitude).

if it’s got to be bouncy at both ends, you could do worse than a specialized camber…

Northwind

As a slight leftfield option Halfords are knocking out their GT Idrive 6 Elite for £999 just now.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_512539_langId_-1_categoryId_165499

The head angle’s inexplicably steep, it’s a bit of an odd bike really as GTs often are but it’s a good frame covered in quality parts, not a sniff of halfords own brand about it. You can do pretty much anything on one of these though, I think they don’t cope too well with more extreme steep stuff. It’s more like the hardest hitting XC bike in the world, which is a good and bad thing.

mendip
    Free Member

Get the Giant Anthem, one sexy beast and here the link of it below:

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b4s1p2852

Giant Trance:

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b4s1p2833

Both 2010 models, under £1200 in large sizes

bigbloke
    Free Member

That GT looks a very good deal.

I have a Spesh Pitch Pro which i’m happy with, overbiked locally i suppose but will be nice at the Trail centres, sturdy and built for the job. (i’m 14.5 to 15 stone).

Like the look of the Giant Trance X’s though , seem to fit right in the middle ground.

backhander
    Free Member

Anthems are nice racey bikes but a bit steep for my liking (love the look of them though).
    This has to be worth a look;
    http://www.canyon.com/_en/mountainbikes/bike.html?b=2083
    also available in black. Revs, XT/SLX, elixirs, easton kit. Under 30lbs too.
    £1265.

mafiafish
    Free Member

My mate’s just bought a trance x3 and that felt awesome. Good spec for the money and very worth of upgrades over time. Anthems are also great to ride but I reckon you’d be better served by the trance.

jools182
    Free Member

Love the pitch pro in brown

godzilla
    Free Member

Shop around and get a pitch pro, i use mine for everything they are super fun, i ride Dalby Whinlatter Dalbeattie and the pitch eats them and makes me look good. leisurewheels dont have any brown ones at that price and havent for ages..

ElShalimo

Thanks
    Pitch Pro looks great but seems its nearly 2kg more than the anthem.
    I’ve looked around locally (Leeds) and the RZ one20 is not that easy to see in the flesh. Ideally I’d want a test bike to play on before buying

Rosss
    Free Member

Ive got a specialized pitch as my first full sus and it’s excellent but if i havent bought it a week earlier i would have gone for this

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/lapierre/zesty-214-2010-mountain-bike-ec020990?query=lapierre

They get fantastic reviews and look the bee’s oh and my 2008 pitch looks great too.

TheFopster
    Free Member

+1 for Zesty if there are any 2010 left. They were going for 1,300 (paid 1,400 for mine) and a fantastic bike at that price. Tried an Anthem but found it a bit dull in comparison, but just my opinion – you may prefer it and no doubt cross country it’d be quicker…

Cubed
    Free Member

+1 for the zesty.
    Good spec, highly upgradable. Still a few mediums around.

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

If i didn’t hammer bikes so much something like a RZ120 would be very appealing to me.

steve_b77
    Free Member

That GT almost looks like an awesome donor bike, the fork & brakes are worth around £580 even with the deals on t’interweb

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

In issues 62, pick of the year style thingy, Benjy says “best all round mountain bike every made, i still stand by this statement” then finishes with “you really don’t need anything else for 99% of the time”.

Personally I also think the x-control hits the right kind of spot.

Amazing what you can get for the money!

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Some of the other bikes look to have too much suspension for long days out on the bridleways, such as the GT. Look around the forums for the number of people who are reverting to HTs as their FS bikes don’t give enough fun.

I would go for the Anthem, it has a good level of kit on for the money (Fox F100 forks) and the maestro system works well so you shouldn’t need the propedal setting on the more expensive rp23.

Northwind

TurnerGuy – Member

“Some of the other bikes look to have too much suspension for long days out on the bridleways, such as the GT.”

Nah, it won’t work out like that… It’s heavy, but Idrives pedal really well and the Revelation’s a good controlled fork. An Anthem’ll be better for a long ride though…

neninja
    Free Member

Until recently I owned an Anthem X and loved it – light, fast, capable but would actually recommend a 120mm travel bike like the Trance.

The Anthem X was a flying machine – it simply blasted up climbs and was amazingly fast on fire roads and tarmac. It was also capable at trail centres.

However I then bought a Helius CC and the Anthem sat in the garage as the Helius always got picked. I soon realised that the extra travel made it more fun at trail centres and rough XC – yes it was slower on the climbs and fire roads but as soon it the going got tough it was in a different league. The same would be true of the Trance – it would simply be more fun at trail centres but would be perfectly good on bridleways – you might be a tiny bit slower but would have more fun.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘First full-sus bike.. any thoughts on these bikes?’ is closed to new replies.