First Full Face Helmet

Home Forum Bike Forum First Full Face Helmet

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • First Full Face Helmet
  • Milkie

Time to get myself a Full Face Helmet.. Do I really need to go and try them on? I have 3 LBS’s, none of them do FF Helmets.

Looking at Urge Down-O-Matic, Archi-Enduro, 661 Comp 2 Shifted, <£100 if possible…

Any pointers? Recommendations?

tworide

Urge helmets are a really weird fit compared to most others. The problem with cheap FF helmets is the limited size range, unlike more motorcycle like helmets like a D3 where you have a better range of sizes. Worth a day out to a mx/mtb dealer like Racespec where they have the helmets to try. An Urge and a D3 are different in pretty much every way. You also have goggle fit to bare in mind.

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

No you could order them one at a time and send the ones back that don’t fit…

Fit is specific and shaped generally. One that doesn’t fit will be next to useless.

makeitorange

I had the same problem, I also happen to have a really large head ended up buying 3 different ones from CRC and sending them back again until I got one that fitted (XL Giro Remedy if anyone else with a >63cm head is reading this).

xiphon

661 get my vote.

I have the 661 Evo lid – paid £60 from CRC – bargain!

andypandy85

As a full face user with a weird shaped head, you definitely need to try them on!! The Urge is a good fit for me in a Small, but I had to wear a Medium THE helmet. It’s worth the drive to somewhere with a decent range of lids and good advice to get the right one rather than trying to save money by guessing and regretting it later on.

Andy

mikey74

Some info on the Archi-Enduro: Crash Report

I don’t think that one is a proper full-face.

Do not get a helmet meant for motorbikes: They are designed very differently and not suited to MTBing.

Also, have a look at the Giro Remedy.

To be honest, I didn’t try on my first full-face (a Giro Remedy) but looked at the size fit guide from Giro, measured my head, and went for the most suitable one. Maybe I got lucky, but it fitted perfectly. Similarly, with my new Kali Avatar: The shop I went to only had a medium, which was a little too big, so I ordered a small and it fits great.

Edit: You could always order a few online and send back the ones that don’t fit.

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

As above xiphon only if it fits.

missnotax

Urge helmets are definitely a funny shape – however fortunately I appear to have a funny shaped head so my down-o-matic fits me perfectly 😆

If you’re one of the few that they fit, I find it really comfy and can happily wear it all day without any problems. Obviously it can get a bit hot, but not nearly as bad as my old FF (661). They also come with various pads so you can mix and match until you have a perfect fit.

A bit of a girlie thing to say, but I also really like the look of them 😳

Premier Icon kayak23
    Subscriber

Helmet fit is so personal. You really do need to try them on but as stated, just send back what doesn’t fit. CRC make this very easy now.
    I tried on several Urge helmets but couldn’t get one feeling comfortable so went with a fox. Did all of this via postage.

rocketman

661 Evo is a good entry-level FF assuming it fits. The aperture is wide, the lining is minimal and it is quite light. It feels like a natural progression from an open-face trail lid it doesn’t have the snug enclosed motorcycle-like feel of what you might call a proppa full-face.

In terms of fit you are looking for something that can’t be lifted up over your head from behind and it should be snug enough to make your face move when you turn it. Different manufacturers advise you try this with or sometimes without the chinstrap fastened it can make a difference.

If you want to try some for size have a word with your lbs and see if they have an account with Fox. Fox Europe are based in Gateshead and apparently are not adverse to sending out a couple of helmets on a sale-or-return basis. My lbs got a couple of Rampages in for me to try against a Remedy

snakebite

Got a large Remedy for sale, only used 3-4 times un marked, un crashed, still boxed.£50

Milkie

Thanks for the tips. I could take a trip into Bristle to try some full facers, but not sure if any stock them?

If Bristle hasn’t got many I’ll go down the CRC route. 😉

I’m guessing goggles are based on which helmet you have, as to whether they will fit?

BTW Small head here, 54cm.

missnotax

Yep, buy the goggles to fit the helmet. My old goggles didn’t fit with the Urge as the helmet must come down a bit lower – it took me about 2 uplift days wondering why my nose felt squashed before I worked it out! New (more shallow) goggles and it all fits like a dream 🙂

peterich

fox rampage – nice fit (for me) well padded and good price ina sale

grantway

I use The One composite for downhill
    and the Specalized Deviant for rough trail riding

Premier Icon p7rich
    Subscriber

I was in the same position as you a month ago. I went for this from CRC (Bell Drop):

…after using the manufacturers size guide as help and reading a few reviews. Maybe I was lucky but it fitted like a glove and rode my first Uplift in it last weekend. All good.

zerocool

Regarding Bristol, Evans and Snow & Rock didn’t have any Full Face helmets in last week. Not been to Zero G or Mud Dock in a while.

I recently switched back to a 661 Comp Shifted from several years of using Specialized and TLD and it was light, and seems to fit well. Not the coolest, but then it is for DH.

The Archie-Enduros aren’t proper full face lids. They were designed to basically let you ride enduro races in an (nearly) open face lid where the rules require a full face one. If you want one with good air flow and be able to ride a little in it without boiling then check out the Specialized Deviant. Had one for about 4 years and loved it, but they changed the padding and now they don’t fit my big bonce. Only got rid of it because I had a massive crash which broke the forks as well.

Tom KP

Milkie

All these bike shops in Bristol and they don’t have FF Helmets. 😥

Tried a friends Urge Down-o-matic (small or medium) and it feels nice, but the cheek pads do not touch my cheeks and there is a little side to side movement (1″ left to right).

I’m guessing this isn’t the right size?

bland

Have a look at O’Neals helmets with the fid lock system.

For the price they are bar far the best on the market and the fid lock is quite simply the best thing to happen to full face fastening systems ever!!!

They come from the same factory as a lot of the more expensive options out there and the weight of them is way below the competition.

Have a look at the Fury for a cheap comfy lid or the Air Tech which is one of the lightest, bast looking lids around with teh fid lock and a smidge over £100

Premier Icon p7rich
    Subscriber

Re fit for a proper FF (not about the Urge-type ones)….a bit of internet research suggests what might seem a bit too tight (at first) is probably about right. There shouldn’t be any space to move. After a ride or two the padding will mould a bit and it won’t feel so tight.

I haven’t read all this but it might be helpful…?

http://reviews.mtbr.com/full-face-helmet-shootout-and-guide-intro

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘First Full Face Helmet’ is closed to new replies.