Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 80 total)
  • First ever STW London Bikey! Pics and tales of daring-do…
  • RudeBoy
    Free Member

Well, what a great bit of fun that was! I was lucky to just catch the Massiv as they rode off from the Eye. A nice, gentle pootle, through the heart of London, stopping for bagels in Brick Lane (while I went and swore at my shitty Surly Singleator (don’t buy one; they are **** useless crap) in Brick Lane bikes- top friendly helpful fellers), then up through some little back alleys (oo-er!) in the City, having a look at some really interesting stuff (Tip: Postman’s Park, nr. the Museum of London; read the memorial plaques), then past the big church thing built by Sir Christopher Wren, and down to the River. Along the north side, then across Tower Bridge, and on to the pub by the Golden Hinde replica thing. A good couple of hours riding, at a very relaxed and gentle pace, in some great company.

One puncture, one ‘unforced error’ (how did he manage that??), and a couple of irate motorists, but no Babylonian involvement, thankfully! Weather was ok, not too cold, although silly Flatboy didn’t dress appropriately for February (poor lad’s spent all his money on bikes, and cant afford clothes).

I think we may have actually spent more time in the pub, than actually on the ride itself! Did see a strange attempted suicide/man overboard incident whilst at the pub; river police were on the scene, and seemed to fish someone out. Dunno what the Fire Brigade were doing on the bridge, mind!

T’was really nice meeting everyone, and I’m sure this is just the first of many!

Spesh mention to LondonLady- aptly named; classy, refined, elegant…

Some crappy pics from compact dijical cam; sadly, no SFB with us.

A fine example of some for That London’s fabulous architecture:

Hucking; Rad, and indeed, Gnarly, Dude!

Naughty boy!

We obeyed all signs, as we are all law-abiding citizens…

Give to me booze!

‘I want something shaped like a shed, and filled with meat, please!’

Top stuff. I’m looking forward to many future London Pootles!

nickc

Nice hat

rOcKeTdOg

square pie, how apt for dirty londoners 😉

psychle
    Free Member

bugger… what time did you guys leave the rendezvous point? I reckon we got there around 10:20 (running a tad late unfortunately 🙁 )

Ah well, there’s always next time 😀

MrNutt
    Free Member

so could we have a run down of the bikes? don’t forget the all important “McHiggins Niche Rating”

grizzlygus
    Free Member

RudeBoy – Member
    Spesh mention to LondonLady- aptly named; classy, refined, elegant…

Classy, refined, and elegant ? ……………… well meeting you must of been a disappointment then.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Psychle- you silly sausage! You must have been only a couple of minutes too late! I must have got there about 10.15.

Deffo a next time. Praps a little more cohesion to the ride; a more defined route might be an idea. Little bit of a random wander, today. You really can’t go wrong, though.

Did that lass ever get to Brighton?

Lakes? Moors? Wales? Scotland?

Pah! Booooring!

London is where it’s at. End of story!!

I managed to clear my fave steps on the way home (the ones near St Katherines, with the San Francisco bit at the side). Never cleared even the bottom flight, before. Had to go and have another go! Found a few more fun bits on the way home, but then got a bit tired.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

well meeting you must of been a disappointment then.

Must have, GG. Please. We have standards.

She did say, ‘who’s that bloke who lives in the East End, does not in any way do hmself any favours?’

Can’t think of anyone like that, on here…. 🙄

Actually, GG, where were you?

Goodgey
    Free Member

OK will post the route here as well

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/7675340

MrSmith
    Free Member

overbiked. should have got yourself an ‘urban-fixie’ while in brick lane bikes.
    🙂

grumm
    Free Member

Yeah I can see what you mean now about the south east having some of the best riding in the uk. I don’t know why I have been wasting my time in the Lakes tbh. 😛

fingers
    Free Member

Nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!! great pics… looks like fun was had by all!

The Fire Brigade are used as spotters and placed on strategic bridges along the river to look out for floating bodies/people and then radio through to the police and fire boats for retreival.

May have to give the route a try after coming off duty one day……..or even join you all in the future, thanks for the heads up!

grizzlygus
    Free Member

Actually, GG, where were you?

On the North Downs(ish) (Warlingham-Farley-Keston way) with Marco and Addiscombe CC. Bit of a distance of me to get to your ride for 10am, might go on the next one though, if you do it again. Don’t quite understand what your ride involved (didn’t really follow the orginal thread) is a road bike no good then ? Apart for steps obviously.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Shame to have missed it! Let me know when the next one is, I’ll see what I can do to the diary!

Besides, my 6″ bike is now even more set for a bit of urban-street-core type riding, with an adjustable post!

Oh, and Gus, it’s “must have” not “must of“. I expect better from you, my dear old thing.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

I’d say a mountain bike with suspension fork is probbly the ideal sort of thing to have, although we did have aP and LL on CX bikes. S’more an urban pootle, innit. In and out, down steps, up kerbs, that sort of thing. Not at all technically demanding (unless you really want to launch yourself off stuff!).

S’not meant to be a thrill-a-minute adrenaline rush; more of a bit of an exploration of this great city. Look at things, check out the history of stuff, etc. aP; he’s an architect, and knows his buildings stuff. Has actually designed stuff we rode past!

People might knock the idea, but I reckon it’s as much fun as loads of other types of riding. S’all about getting out, stetching yer legs, having a laugh, in good company.

Today fulfilled all of that. Was a proper success, I think. I really enjoyed myself.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Oh, and Gus, it’s “must have” not “must of”. I expect better from you, my dear old thing.

I’ve told him Flashy, I’ve told him.

Mind, he’s from sarf London; what d’you expect? 🙄

More than welcome on the next one, Flashy. You’re a man who appreciates this amazing metropolis, I know.

duntmatter
    Free Member

Thanks for posting the route, Jon. What did you use to get it?

I thoroughly enjoyed myself today, and look forward to the next one. Who wants to pick a date and see if it sticks?

grizzlygus
    Free Member

Gus, it’s “must have” not “must of”.

Well I never knew that. But I’m glad I know now. ‘Cause I like to be posh and talk proper on here. As I knows that I is in poo-lite company.

Yeah RB, I was thinking of the pompino, as it’s a lot easier lugging in and out of trains than a mtb.

Hairychested
    Free Member

28th of March could be good. Hopefully I could make it.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Pompino should be fine. As long as it’s not fixed.

ctually, next time, we could sit outside somewhere, and point and laugh in a crual and unkind manner, at any fixie riders going past. Maybe even thow poo at them, although we might reserve the poo-throwing for when we can stand on one of the bridges, with one of those glass-topped tourist boats passing underneath…

Speaking about boats, how about that rubbish one today? Like a floating Portakabin! Proper rubbish! What a crap boat.

grizzlygus
    Free Member

As long as it’s not fixed.

I don’t remember saying that I was a ****.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

😆

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

S’all about getting out, stetching yer legs, having a laugh, in good company.

Absolutly

Goodgey
    Free Member

As discussed I have set up a Facebook group as well for future urban events

http://www.facebook.com/groups/create.php?customize&gid=52753398193#/group.php?gid=52753398193

sodafarls
    Free Member

Hmmm, and we hear criticisms of stormtroopers who wear pads at a trail centres? A bit “overdressed” for a pootle around town and a pint perhaps? 😯

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Sodafarls; what on Earth are you wibbling on about now??

Why not come on the next one? Go on, it’ll be fun!

sodafarls
    Free Member

it’ll be fun!

Each to their own? eh? 😯

Just an observation from the pics, no need to take it personally.

rOcKeTdOg

over dressed? eh is it coz they’re not wearing tweed?

any ride is a good ride imho, some people have an over inflated view of their own importance, if the ride isn’t over Everest and is at least a 1000km it isn’t worth it 🙄

sodafarls
    Free Member

is it coz they’re not wearing tweed?

And some people have a humour bypass and are a little precious.

MrNutt
    Free Member

I’m with soda on this, camelbaks?? you’re never 200m from somewhere to get a drink in laarndarn!

and why were none of you wearing pinstripe? pah, you’re letting the side down!

aleigh
    Free Member

rudeboy, looks great fun! i’ll have to get me over to your necks of the woods one day 😆

rOcKeTdOg

And some people have a humour bypass and are a little precious.

glad the penny has dropped 😉

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Erm, the two people in the pic rode up from Richmond, and I don’t really get the ‘overdressed’ bit. I’d say they were perfectly dressed, for 3-4 hours on a bike!

Sorry, we’ll promise not to have any ‘fun’ next time.. 🙁 And promise to ask your permission for whatever clothing we plan to wear.

MrNutt; that’s my Camelback, but it din’t have a bladder in it. Just used for bits and bobs.

Aleigh; t’was a right laugh. You’duv enjoyed it! Don’t worry, we’ll be having more, that’s for sure!

(Worries about what clothing will pass Sodafarls’ sartorial scrutiny, on the next Pootle…)

sodafarls
    Free Member

glad the penny has dropped [;)]

Bend over and pick it up son 😀

sodafarls
    Free Member

Jesus f mohammad, you are some insecure bellends at times. Do they not have pisstaking in the “Greatest City on Earth”?

aleigh
    Free Member

now now boys 😉

get lots of practise in for our next meet cos the climb you’ve possibly got coming is a right old b1tch!

RudeBoy
    Free Member

I think somebody’s got sand in their knickers over something!

Aleigh; a climb, you say?

Ha! I laugh at climbs! Bring it on!

Hmm, better make sure I’ve got the right gear on…

…32/15t, or would a 16t be a better bet?

Decisions, decisions…

grizzlygus
    Free Member

Well I’m disappointed that it appears you won’t be coming on the next one sodafarls.

I was looking forward to seeing what you’d wearing 🙁

rOcKeTdOg

or if he drops more money 🙂

aleigh
    Free Member

Well GG, you can look forward to seeing my in my gear instead 😉

RB – you may laugh but I WILL have the last laugh hahaha 😆

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 80 total)

The topic ‘First ever STW London Bikey! Pics and tales of daring-do…’ is closed to new replies.