Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • First commute into work today… enjoyed that !!!
  • weeksy

First time ever i’ve commuted in on the bike.

starts off epically hard with a ridiculous hill to get me out of the village, but after that it’s not too bad.

Had a couple of ‘races’ on the way in, which was quite a suprise considering it was 6.20am

The most fun/remarkable of which was some fella on a small wheeled Brompton type thing… Caught him as he was putting on some gloves, but he was about 100m ahead… i then closed that down over the next 2 miles and eventually passed him, however he stuck with me for the next 4 miles before we went our seperate ways… God knows how. Considering i have some leg/speed sapping hills and 4 miles in town, i managed to average just under 16mph for the 22mile trip… How the heck was he keeping up at that speed !!!! LOL. I was suprised as he seemed to be pedalling a slower rpm than i was…. I was in TOP on a 36T front !!!

Wish i’d planned my kit a bit better last week as i had to bring in a full pile of kit, plus lunch, plus laptop. The backpack was pretty heavy… made it suprisingly harder on the climbs and gives me food for thought that the only way for me to climb quicker is to drop about 50% of my bodyweight !!!

officialtob
    Free Member

Welcome to the commuting club 🙂

Best thing I ever started doing – and I do love a cheeky race first thing too.

Simon

Pedalling to work is a fantastic way to start the day.

scaredypants

weeksy’s nemesis, earlier

aazlad
    Free Member

Brompton’s are pretty rapid. Small skinny tyres are easy to spin in top gear with low cadence – not sure why. I often keep up with roadie commuters and fixie types on it.

I’ve recently dropped the Brommie/train combo and started commuting 25km each way on a crosser. Best thing I ever did. Already feeling the benefits on weekend MTB rides with extra power and stamina.

weeksy

I saw no cyclists on the way home. Which in all honesty i’m glad about. It was into the wind all the way back west and was a tough ride. Not sure if it was worth the £5 i saved in fuel 🙂

tutgareth
    Free Member

I Commuted today for the first time but wish i’d changed my Maxxis super tacky’s for something with slightly less rolling resistance 😯

matt1986
    Free Member

Wouldn’t like to commute on some super tacky’s. I commute on my bike everyday for work not being able to drive forces that. It does become a bit tiresome in the wind and rain of the winter though.

tutgareth
    Free Member

Wouldn’t like to commute on some super tacky’s

lesson learned this morning i’ll be fitting my swalbe crazy bob’s this evening!

weeksy

I fitted some CX type tyres for the commuting wheels. I didn’t like the full on slicks route just in case of adverse conditions. I’m sure they’re a rubbish tyre, after all, they were £14 a pair !!!! but they seem OK for now and haven’t punctured… Ideally though i need to pick up a few road tubes as it’s a it of a faff getting big old Schwalbe tubes in these very small tyres.

weeksy

Did a 2 commute day this week, Mon and Wed.

Today i took in some nice Ridgeway and the hills before hitting the road section. Managed the commute in a good time of just about 1hr 15 which gave me a 15.91mph average… Nice….

justatheory
    Free Member

Can’t beat the commute for getting you ready for the day. It’s a great buffer after work too.

My bikes have recently been stolen, so I’m temporarily using my Mrs pink shopper. It’s suprisingly quick and comfortable, I even overtook a roadie in full lycra (he was a bit portly).

drofluf
    Free Member

Today i took in some nice Ridgeway and the hills before hitting the road section. Managed the commute in a good time of just about 1hr 15 which gave me a 15.91mph average… Nice….

Which bit of the Ridgeway are you on? When I’m working from home my pre-work ‘virtual commute’ sometimes takes me up there – Wantage area

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

welcome on board! commuting on bike is ace. Bravo.

I go through a royal park in the morning and wave to the deer, then in the evening I lengthen the route and last night found myself exploring a national trust canal towpath which was a lovely diversion and adds a good offroad five miles to my loop home.

The odd race is fun but if the bugger sits on, then flick yer elbow and see if he’ll help. I usually lose races cos I’m laden with gear and riding with CX tyres – lets me go offroad and is better puncture resitance.

weeksy

Which bit of the Ridgeway are you on? When I’m working from home my pre-work ‘virtual commute’ sometimes takes me up there – Wantage area

Blewbury is closest.

Lifer
    Free Member

Commute on and off when I’m not being lazy. Not too far but hassle (no showers or lockers at work and roadworks on the dual carriageway means every bugger’s going the nice ‘quiet’ way I go at the moment and the road is crumbling to nothing) but I leave plenty of clothes and food at work to make it easier. Some mornings I feel like a needed a warm-up on the rollers for 20mins before I start, some mornings it’s easy.

weeksy

Due to the climbs it’s never ‘easy’ but of course it depends how hard you push. I got into the office today sweating after ‘racing’ a few people. I thought i was on for a cracking race into Reading, but bloke seemed to do 1 mile in fully lycra and then do a left into Tilehurst station…. which seemed weird… his pace was good too, was a fairly flat section and we were averaging 21mph, i dropped about 10 lengths on him then caught it back on a hill… i was ready for the pass and then he bailed ! gutted. ! I was blaming the Aspens for him pulling away as he was on teeny tyres.

tomlevell

I’ll just pimp this challenge here http://www.endomondo.com/challenges/10571677

Riding in this morning legs and head said drive home and do it again Thursday night.
    Sat down and ate breakfast and head says ride home again. I’ll regret it in the morning.

weeksy

Can’t Tom… my Endomondo wants me to confirm mail… but the mail doesn’t seem to arrive at my email…

I did have Endomondo turned on today too.

tomlevell

Spam or wrong email address?

Other people have got in via that link.

weeksy

i think it’s my Endo’s fault, not yours matey.

Lifer
    Free Member

weeksy – Member
    Due to the climbs it’s never ‘easy’ but of course it depends how hard you push.

Oh for sure, it’s all relative. I’ve got a short sharp climb in the first 1km which pretty much kills me.

tomlevell – Member
    Riding in this morning legs and head said drive home and do it again Thursday night.
    Sat down and ate breakfast and head says ride home again. I’ll regret it in the morning.

😆 That’s everytime for me!

weeksy

i’ll be taking this one on on way home.

Average grade: 8.8 %
    Length: 1.25 km
    Height start: 57 m
    Height top: 167 m
    Elevation: 110 m
    Maximum: 17 %

ski
    Free Member

Numbers of bike commuters seem to have doubled this week for some reason, wonder if that bright yellow thing in the sky has anything to do with it.

Also:

1st RULE: You do not talk about commuter racing.

2nd RULE: You DO NOT talk about commuter racing.

3rd RULE: If someone says “stop” or goes limp, taps out the race is over.

4th RULE: Only two guys to a race.

5th RULE: One race at a time.

6th RULE: No shirts, no shoes.

7th RULE: Races will go on as long as they have to.

8th RULE: If this is your first night at commuter racing, you HAVE to race.

😉

weeksy

wonder if that bright yellow thing in the sky has anything to do with it.

It’s a hell of a lot of the reason for me… i’ve got a car for the rain.

yorkshire89
    Free Member

Glad you enjoyed it 🙂

I’ve been doing alot more recently. 9 miles in and back again.
    Did a 25 mile off road ride at the weekend and this is my 3rd day this week, i still feel pretty fresh so fitness is definately improving.

Im taking this afternoon and tomorrow off, going to extend the ride back home to roughly 15 miles and quite fancy getting out in the moors somewhere tomorrow.

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

The weather has been so good so far this week that I’ve not only made the bold move of ditching the MW81s in favour of my sieve-like Northwave Lizzards, but I also extend my return 7.2 mile route with a bimble around the local marina and common.

Not ready to put the long sleeve jersey away just yet though.

Happy days 8)

sas78

Brilliant stuff – I’ve noticed loads of “new” commuters on my route into Edinburgh this week – the weather has them all out on their shiny bikes and they’ll never be seen again when the rain’s out! But hey – it’s good to see them really, maybe the odd one or two will stick with it. Got me thinking about how there’s not a “good or bad” day for commuting by bike (or walking even!) just the wrong mentality and/or clothing!

Stick with it OP – I actually find the miserable days more fun – they are quieter and make me feel better when I arrive all alert at work having forgone a miserable stand at the bus stop and then a 40minute sweaty smelly bus ride as opposed to a 15 minute blast on the bike along the Water of Leith with the ducks!

Commuting by bike is food for the brain and the ride home always makes me smile! Love it.

weeksy

yeah but my commute would be 1hr 20 mins of the rain/wet/cold or 22 mins in the car on quiet M4. LOL…. i’m afraid i’m never going to be an all weather commuter.

Commute home is from Caversham in Reading along the river to Pnagbourne, then the Thames path to Goring… then Streatley hill, then a couple of sections of Ridgeway to home…. Mmmmmmmm

1 hr 13 mins till time to leave.

adjustablewench
    Free Member

Numbers of bike commuters seem to have doubled this week for some reason, wonder if that bright yellow thing in the sky has anything to do with it.

My 8 year old was complaining yesterday about the sudden increase in cyclists on our morning commute, I had to point out that other cyclists may not have Mum’s that make them do it all year round . . . i’m not sure if he wanted to complain to the fair weather brigade or phone childline 🙂

warton
    Free Member

I Put my CX tyres back on my CX commuter this week. been exploring the bridleways around me on the way in and out of work.

did 20 miles last night, what a blast, bike is covered in DUST, not mud, or salt, or rain. DUST 😀

MoreCashThanDash

Commuted home the longer way last night as it was the only day I could ride in this week. 19 miles of towpath and river bank. After 10 miles I was wishing I’d remembered a drink though

njee20
    Free Member

Funny isn’t it, I gave up carrying a drink on my usual (c23 mile) commute, as I never touched it. However without one there I often found myself wanting a sip! I now usually take a bottle about 1/4 full, just in case!

weeksy

I’m forcing myself to drink as it’s a weak point of mine, Mon night i drank about 500ml. Today on the way in it was about 200ml.

tonight i’ve got 800ml as it’s warm and more off-road than on tonight.

pebblebeach
    Free Member

Yep it’s a fantastic way to start the day. You can always tell who’s new to the bike commuting game as they always want to race everyone.

weeksy

pebblebeach – Member
    Yep it’s a fantastic way to start the day. You can always tell who’s new to the bike commuting game as they always want to race everyone

We only race you because you’ve been working hard for years and it’s more fun to trounce you on the hills in the baggies than anything in the world 😉

ready…. set….. GO !!!

pebblebeach
    Free Member

We only race you because you’ve been working hard for years and it’s more fun to trounce you on the hills in the baggies than anything in the world

In your dreams, 20 mile each way commute keeps my pace pretty quick. Haven’t been passed this year. Guy tried the other day after I passed him, sat on my wheel, launched an ‘attack’, went backwards as soon as he came out of my slipstream. Adios loser 🙂

crankbreaker

Remember, it’s not a race!

mindmap3
    Free Member

I can’t wait to start commuting part way by bike. I just need my secondment to a clients office to end. I’ll then drive part way to Nottingham and ride the last 12/15 miles into the office two or three days a week. I just need to get organised and take some shirts into work at the beginnu if the week and it’ll be happy days.

I’m working from home tomorrow so will go out on the road bike for a couple of hours before I start.

TiRed

First commute today – of a kind. Stripped down the fixed wheel road bike;
    swapped to carbon forks
    removed guards and rack
    removed bars
    removed BRAKES!!!
    replaced with brake-free bars.
    replaced with summer track wheels and tubs

Rode to work the 10 miles through lanes and traffic practising my stopping and thinking 100m in advance. No brakes 😯

The reason for this madness? I’m signed up for Saturday nights IG Nocturn track bike crit and need to up my brake-less riding confidence. Madness, madness I tell you!

If you are going, I’ll be last wearing my Twickenham kit on a stripped down Kona Paddy Wagon.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘First commute into work today… enjoyed that !!!’ is closed to new replies.