Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 175 total)
  • First car for a 31 year old IT nerd – something interesting a very bad idea??
  • RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Afternoon

As one who put off learning to drive until relatively late (and as one who’s not yet um quite passed his test), my question is:

Is it definitely a very bad idea to buy a quick ish / interesting first car?

Obviously I’m aware of why it could be a Bad Thing but the vaguely logical part of my brain argues that I know I’m not going to be trying to show off to my mates in the back seat or drag racing down dual carriageways. I also am of the mindset that small cars can still do 90mph as well as a faster car, hence surely it’s down to the driver not to be a stupid pr!ck?

As such I’d rather not have a corsa or similar and could afford the insurance to get something ‘interesting’ ish (not much difference between quotes, I guess due to my age).

Balanced opinions welcomed and please refrain from dishing out the pasting I’m half expecting! 😀

ta

hels
    Free Member

I would buy something cheap, reliable and easy to drive until you have the hang of it properly.

You might not mean to drive badly, but you might for a while.

AlexSimon

Budget?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    momo

I guess it depends on your deffinition of something interesting. Full on performance cars I would say would be a bad idea, but that doesn’t mean you need to drive the obligatory 17yr old just passed their test corsa/punto/fiesta/etc.

bazzer
    Free Member

V10 M5 perfect 🙂

TheFlyingOx

MR2 Mk2. Non-turbo if you feel you need to maintain at least the impression of trying to be sensible, turbo if you want to drive a balls-out fast car.

Cheap as chips, not too expensive to run, easy as pie to fix if anything goes wrong (which isn’t very often), and will scare you on a regular enough basis to make you think twice before doing something really silly in it. The boot’s big enough for a fair amount of luggage/shopping, and you can get a bike in the passenger side and/or two on a rack on the back.

bazzer
    Free Member

MR2 Mk2. Non-turbo if you feel you need to maintain at least the impression of trying to be sensible, turbo if you want to drive a balls-out fast car.

Cheap as chips, not too expensive to run, easy as pie to fix if anything goes wrong (which isn’t very often), and will scare you on a regular enough basis to make you think twice before doing something really silly in it. The boot’s big enough for a fair amount of luggage/shopping, and you can get a bike in the passenger side and/or two on a rack on the back.

And have never been known to exit a wet roundabout backwards 🙂

TheFlyingOx

Hehe. That’s pretty much what mine did 😆

Hence the “scaring you on a regular basis” comment.

nomakoman
    Free Member

Re mr2, yeh if you like spending all day changinv a clutch plate….

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Cars are only as fast as your right foot…

Personally I’d say just get what you want. I dont see the logic in buying some thing sensible and slow if at some point your still going to get some thing sporty and fast. The learning curve will still be the same for the fast car.

morgs
    Free Member

I’d avoid RWD cars to start with. Gain experience in a FWD car first then move onto AWD or RWD.
    As for something ‘interesting’, it depends on budget. Late model Celica (not the 190bhp VVT-L engine though). ST170 Focus? Lots out there to pick from. Also, what do you want from your car? Coupe? 5dr? 3dr?
    Need more info, OP!

billysugger
    Free Member

Audi’s are stylish

bazzer
    Free Member

Anything modern will be dead easy to drive to be honest.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I’d avoid RWD cars to start with

+1

I am an experienced driver – I’ve been driving for 20 years – but I was surprised at how different (and to be honest unforgiving) a RWD car can be. The dry stone wall was surprised too! 😆

ski
    Free Member

MR2 Mk2. Non-turbo

as a first car?

Your having a laugh right?

Please, please think what your mates would think, I made a very bad mistake 20 years ago, car buying wise & my mates still take the piss 😉

rogg
    Free Member

MX-5.
    Cheap, plentiful, reliable, fun.

willard

If you are considering an MR2, then why stop there? Plenty of second hand Porsches about…

Go for a nice Golf TDi. Powerful, comfortable, innocuous, economical. What more do you need?

molgrips
    Free Member

I would say spend your money on a more modern ‘cheaper’ car than an older but fancier one. Modern cars (even small ones) are much more sorted in terms of handling, have better tyres and brakes and ESP and whatnot, and also more airbags and protection if you crash 🙂

But the usual considerations come in to play. I mean a modestly interesting car like a Leon Cupra or something will be easily quick enough to give you a thrill but you’re still well within the boundaries of normal car handling and ease of use, I reckon.

And in any case, your first car is always interesting and great, no matter what it is 🙂 there’s a lot more to our relationship with our cars than how fast they go.

For instance that feeling you get when you see a battered old slow crap handling Passat estate in a layby as you are freezing cold, soaked and utterly knackered at the end of a long wilderness ride can’t be beaten 🙂

warton
    Free Member

Old shape civic type R?
    Boxters can be had for good money these days
    old Audi S3?
    Gold R32?

the choices are endless

hp_source

+1 for the mx-5, or car of that ilk…. unless you need a bike carrier, in which case I’d look at warm hatches… golf gt tdi?

or for a complete left-field punt… Defender? not fast, not plush, but definatley interesting. TD5 version or good nick 300tdi. Loads of fun, great owners community, mainly cheap to keep going.

joao3v16
    Free Member

MX-5.
    Cheap, plentiful, reliable, fun

The OP’s an IT Nerd, not a hairdresser

😈

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

“I’d avoid RWD cars to start with.”

Again if you want a fun car go RWD you have to learn at some point anyhow, and then you will realise just how dull FWD is!

AWD is ok, but the sorted ones have so much grip that you could never have fun with them legally on UK roads…. apart from in the winter 🙂

TheFlyingOx

MX-5.
    Cheap, plentiful, reliable, fun.

Possibly a safer choice than the MR2. Possibly.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Oh yes, not a huge budget btw – maybe £4k tops.

I was thinking mx-5 but then you know…. as I won’t be doing many miles…..

…Rx-8’s are sooooo cheap and have 4 seats so far easier to jusstify to the wife who will want mini-RRR’s at some point.

As I’ll be doing naff all milege I might be able to cope with the 20mpg ….

(and yes RWD but has traction control, might help?).

molgrips
    Free Member

Don’t get an RX-8. Is it true that if you stall it whilst cold it floods and has to be towed to a garage?

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Boxsters can be had for good money these days

If you’re even half thinking that you may end up driving in snow, bear in mind cars like this will be a handful and/or very expensive for winter tyres. Stock tyres on a Boxster are RUBBISH in the snow and the RWD doesn’t help much either.

Good call on the R32…they make a lovely noise. Or maybe a 4WD TT??

In answer to your original question, yes I do think it is a bad idea as a not-yet-passed driver to go for car that could get you into a lot of mischief. A modern FWD turbo will give you all the thrills you need I’m sure, but remind me to steer clear of you on the roads 🙂

cb

As I read your post you are asking about the principal of owning a fast car rather than a recommendation of which car. IMO, you’ve answered your own question in that you intend to drive sensibly.

If you can afford it (you can) and you want it (you do), then buy it. Drive as you say you will and you won’t have any problems

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Even at 31 you might find the insurance companies make this decision for you, certainly for the fist 6 months.

306 D-Turbo – quite fun, quite good in the winter, great boot for a small car.

z1ppy

could afford the insurance to get something ‘interesting’ ish (not much difference between quotes, I guess due to my age).

Have you actually got an insurance quote for any cars yet? Going by my brother quote to get our younger brother (35) covered on a old Toyota Avensis (grandad’s old car), I check before buying or really expecting to buy anything ‘fun’…. £2.5 grand!
    Take 5 minutes with an imaginary car and the compare the market website.

I would buy something cheap, reliable and easy to drive until you have the hang of it properly.

Is what I’ve told by 17 year old nephew but then his insurance will preclude anything anyway, but it simply is good advice.

passtherizla
    Free Member

Old Civic Type R (the newer one is shit anyway)
    Celica
    Golf VR6
    Golf GTI
    Mazda 3 MPS
    Clio Cup

Hot Hatches are great fun.

molgrips
    Free Member

Having a fast car is temptation to enjoy it though, which might not be a good idea.

Owning a comfortable cruiser though is also nice, and discourages dangerous urges….

TheFlyingOx

Don’t get an RX-8. Is it true that if you stall it whilst cold it floods and has to be towed to a garage?

Nope. What is true is that the rotary engine is one of the most rewarding ever to go into a production car, but they get a bad reputation because people don’t know how to treat them. RX8 is a cracking idea but there are undeniable downsides, i.e. the running costs. If I were buying one, I’d be getting it from someone in the Mazda Rotary Owner’s Club rather than “one careful lady owner”.

speed12
    Free Member

Yeah, if you really want something with a bit of go that you aren’t going to crash instantly then a hot hatch (as above) would be your best bet. Quick enough to feel fun but not stupidly rapid and most (all?) will be FWD which means you have safer understeer rather than bit more tricky to control oversteer if you overcook a corner. The Golf I would say would be the least hardcore one and so wouldnt bite back as hard as say a Clio Cup.

Even something like a Fiesta Zetec would be good fun – not really quick but handles brilliantly and would be a good drive for a first timer.

molgrips
    Free Member

I knew a guy first hand who sat in the work car park with the engine idling cos he was too scared he’d stall it. He sold the car on pretty quickly.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Drive as you say you will and you won’t have any problems

I’ve got to say I don’t agree. Even driving “sensibly”, some cars are more forgiving of driver error or unexpected road conditions than others. As a beginner you need forgiving. Think of it as the difference between trying to pick your way down a rocky mountain-side on a nice bouncy full susser or a steep and twitchy XC bike.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

With regards to insurance, because I won’t be driving to work for example and probably doing less than 2K miles a year I’ve had some ‘reasonable’ quotes.

For example, fully comp a Corsa was £1100 , an Octavia £1300 and believe or not an RX-8 £1450!

For the sake of £300 a year you can perhaps see why I’m tempted to get something ‘nice’…

As for requirements, currently I don’t ‘need’ four seats but if I did get something sporty ish it’d be nice not to have to flog it in a year when the Mrs wants sprogs (hence the rx-8 thought).

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Think of it as the difference between trying to pick your way down a rocky mountain-side on a nice bouncy full susser or a steep and twitchy XC bike.

But I enjoy both of those! 😀

I should point out that it won’t be my very first car as I hope to be on the road in January but the funds for anything other than a banger won’t be available until March/April – so I might get a few months of mincing about in something nasty.

TheFlyingOx

I knew a guy first hand who sat in the work car park with the engine idling cos he was too scared he’d stall it. He sold the car on pretty quickly.

He was an idiot then. To de-flood (is that a word?) the engine you push the accelerator to the floor and crank the starter for a good 20-30 seconds. The wide-open throttle at start-up switches the injectors off and so the rotors just push the fuel out without any more being added. Then just start as normal. Says as much in the owner’s manual.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Stick with the MX5, you will get a nice Mk2 for £4k (better than Mk3 IMO) The RX8 is a much bigger heavier car, and doesnt handle as well as the MX5. Not the fastest cars in the world in a straightline but more fun round corners than most other cars on the road.

If you dont have kids now, dont worry about the extra seats, only worry about the extra seats when you need to. Thats why I now drive a Mondeo 😯

When kids come along you wont have time to go for a drive for drives sake, and you will regret having a car that is awkard to get a baby in and out of.

These are fantastic little cars too! Limited to 85mph but get there very quickly, and nice skinny tyres mean you can really exploit the fantastic handling.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I bought a fun first car.

MG Midget

Lots of noise
    Cheep insurance
    Fun in the rain
    Doesn’t go fast enough to crash at any real speed
    Would probably blow up if you actualy thrashed it

Unfortunately given your IT background, turning it off an and on wont fix it as there f*** all electric apart form the lights!

I bought what was supposed to be a nice handling sensible car as my second car (Ford Focus). It’s been a depressing, dull, gray, reliable hell for the last 12,000 miles in comparison. It doesn’t even match the midgets MPG figures, 50 years of development and it still does 35-42mpg, admitedly with 4 seats, but come one, the midget was designed in the 40’s using old technology!

Can you tell which car will end up being sold?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 175 total)

The topic ‘First car for a 31 year old IT nerd – something interesting a very bad idea??’ is closed to new replies.