• This topic has 18 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by br.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • First bike-packing trip. Suggest Aviemore routes?
  • jamiep
    Free Member

Heading up at the weekend for 2-3 days. Just for a pootle as a shakedown ride to try my kit. I’ll be camping so would welcome suggestions for where to pitch up. Any steady routes?
    Off to use the search function on here in the meantime.
    Cheers

druidh
    Free Member

The track into Loch Einich is all rideable and won’t take long. Go all the way to the loch and you’ll be in some stunning scenery.

Loop round from Aviemore to Boat of Garten/Nethybridge on the Speyside Way (or via Sluggans) and then to Forest Lodge. The track carries on past Ryvoan Bothy and Glenmore Lodge. Anywhere on the quieter section between Forest lodge and Ryvoan would be good.

Or go for a high level option. Either just ride up the access track to Cairngorm Plateau or up the Burma Road.

These are all single/part day rides. If you want to look at something longer, there’s the Tour of the Cairngorms.

theblackmount
    Free Member

Einich could be a bleak old hooch in the current weather.

Inshriach / Feshie would be a good trial option – camp aside Ruigh Aiteachain and take advantage of the outdoor fire 😉

vorlich
    Free Member

Aye, Einich was a bit bleak when I was there, despite relative warmth outside then glen. Quite enclosed, so the sun drops over the surrounding peaks quite early. Seemed to funnel the wind down onto the tent. I did is as an extension of the Nethy Bridge/Glenmore/Sluggan circuit, Druidh mentions.

I didn’t write it up on my blog, but the previous trip I did without the Einich detour is readable here:
    http://mcalisterium.wordpress.com/2012/05/07/abernethy-glenmore-sluggan-pass-circuit

It’s possibly a bit short of riding time, depending on how long you like to mill around camp. Remember there is also the bothy at Inshriach, if you fancy that.

Glen Feshie is another possibility.

druidh
    Free Member

TJ and I camped in Glen Feshie earlier this year – about as far up as you can go on the East side of the glen and between a couple of the landslips. It also suffers from the steep-sided glen/early sunset problem. Nice ride though.

vorlich
    Free Member

I’ve camped in that same spot a couple of winters back. Was on foot though. In deepest winter, it makes little difference when the sun drops over the ridge TBH. Woke up to a lovely heavy frost.

tobysdad
    Free Member
    jamiep
    Free Member

Thanks for taking the time to reply. 😀

vorlich
    Free Member

Ta 😀

bajsyckel

How windy? (On the Munros) Westerly, post dawn up to 70mph gusts near 100mph. Gradual decrease to by early evening 45, gusts 65mph. Effect of wind on you? Considerable buffeting from low level upwards. Mobility tortuous where exposed on higher areas. Severe wind chill.

Luckily that’s the forecast for Friday – should be easing to 55mph gusts higher up on Saturday. I’d maybe not plan on anything too exposed if it’s your first night out. Oh, and there’s been a spot of snow at times on the highest tops earlier this week.

A combination of tracks in and around the forests anywhere between Feshie and Nethy Bridge would be my recommendation (a la vorlich (nice work btw)), just following your nose until you feel like stopping. I wouldn’t recommend an extended tour around or over the plateau without easy bail out options for your first time given the potential for the wind to be a pain this weekend. But if the conditions are good for venturing far out of the trees then go for it.

backcountrybiking
    Free Member

Mountain forecast for the next few days are suggest 100mph winds.
    So take it easy, I second/third Glen Feshie good trails, good campsites and if it all goes tits up the suie in Kincraig does beer and chips.

Andy

vorlich
    Free Member

OK, whilst we’re on the subject. Glen Feshie.
    Beyond riding down to the head of the glen, or doing the high level loop to the east, what other ridable options are there in and around Feshie?

dh
    Free Member

Great blog vorlich.

I’m kind of interested in this bike packing lark – do you carry a rollmat as well?

druidh
    Free Member

On the West side of the glen, take the track going up the hill at Carnachuin, then straight into the forest to Corarnstilmore. left to Baileguish and then you have access to the tracks in Inshriach, including the Badan Dubh

vorlich
    Free Member

dh. I use a POE air mat, as it packs small, they’ve changed their name now though [but I don’t recall what to]. That’s been fine over the warmer months, but I reckon we’re coming into the time of year where a closed cell mat may also be needed.

I use Therm-a-rest z-lite when hiking, but it’s too bulky for the bike. I reckon a roll mat would be easy enough to mount on the bars. I occasionally use a foil sheet under all other mats helps retain heat, packs to nothing, weighs even less.

Cheers Druidh, I’ll check those out. I do have the Bothy Bikes maps, I should really get planning something. I’ve tended to stay low to this point, but fancy a higher camp before nights start drawing in too much.

P20

We were up there earlier in the year and here’s some ideas

dh
    Free Member

thanks for that vorlich. maybe something for the xmas list!

flatfish
    Free Member

Just tagging this for reference.

br
    Free Member

Has been dark just after 6pm a couple of days this week, so it’ll be a long night. Weather’s not looking too bad though, but we’ve had so much rain this week…

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘First bike-packing trip. Suggest Aviemore routes?’ is closed to new replies.