Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • First 29'er suss
  • Brake-neck
    Free Member

Been riding 29 hardtails for near enough 4 years now but my knees are frickin ruined, hence the latest addition to the un-necessary toys collection.
    Transition Covert29
    Full XT 1 X 10 with XTR shifter
    Pikes at 140mm
    SLX brakes
    Havoc Carbon bars
    Pro2 Evo hubs with arch EX rims

crashed it 3 times out of 5 rides so far and love it to **** bits 🙂

mrski1

Im currently looking for a long travel 29er but find that unless i go for the gate sized option, most TT lengths are pretty short, how do you find the 29 Covert?

Brake-neck
    Free Member

What height are you?

mrski1

6’2 I currently ride a large Cotic Solaris with a 70mm stem.

Brake-neck
    Free Member

Coincidence or what! Still have my Medium Solaris with 70mm :). TBH the Medium was too small for me but it was going cheap second hand. I’m 5″11 and got the Large Covert and running a 70mm stem which feels like it needs shortened to 50mm for me to make it spot on for me.
    I was expecting it to be a total dog on the climbs but it just isn’t, really capable and that’s using the cheaper monarch option too. As for the down, every time I’ve crashed it’s been because I was too busy grinning from ear to ear 🙂

Brake-neck
    Free Member

Incidentally, freeborn have the frames in white for £899!

mrski1

Next you will say you have had an On One hard tail as well! I’ve had my Solaris since Sept, and I love it! Just looking for something with a bit more travel and a bit slacker, I love the look of the Canyon Spectral 9.9EX but I haven’t been able to find any review on it.

For me I think i’d have to go for the XL Covert 29!

Brake-neck
    Free Member

Had a 456 carbon before moving to 29, still miss it, mad wee bugger that it was 🙂
    XL would give you room to experiment, initially I felt a bit “central” position wise but after a couple of rides realised that it was an intentional part of the design, good weight distribution front and back so v good at technical climbs as yer arse is always over the back tyre for grip but you have a very “in” feeling when descending.
    If you are ever up Innerleithen way before you buy give me a shout, you are welcome to try it out.

mrski1

Haha! I had a 20″ 456 in bright pink! The only reason I changed to the Solaris was because the seatpost seized in the frame after a winter of commuting, although it was around 4 years old by then. I’m down that way from Aberdeen quite a lot, know people that live over near the Gordon Arms.

Brake-neck
    Free Member

Well like I say, probs won’t fit you right but if you need to get a general feel for the thing……….

AlexSimon

Looks very tidy – the black and white suits it very well.
    Enjoy!

daveh
    Free Member

crashed it 3 times out of 5 rides so far and love it to **** bits

😆 That’s kinda how I feel about my Bandit (26), great fun to ride but you need to be on top of your game otherwise it throws you at the scenery! Good to here the bigger +2 (+1 as its a Covert, +another 1 as its a 29er) is just the same. Funnily enough I’ve just n-1 this weekend, Covert 29 sized hole? 😈

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘First 29'er suss’ is closed to new replies.