• This topic has 258 replies, 105 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by gonzy.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 259 total)
  • Firing staff
  • BobaFatt
    Free Member

you can’t fire him based on speculation, pretty sure he’ll have you for that.

And stop buying poncy overpriced Mellow Birds, you’re not fooling anyone

Merak

SRS

I’m a manager too. 😉 😈

slowoldman

Blimey, I drank half a bottle of my dad’s whiskey once when I was at school. He didn’t sack me, he kept me on but gave me a bollocking and I had to buy another bottle of whiskey.

Is there anything else we should know about apart from the chocolates, acid and your inexperience at managing people?

PJM1974
    Free Member

Sad fact is that you can be fired for pretty much anything if you’ve accrued less than two years’ continuous employment.

That doesn’t mean that I agree with the OP’s actions though. The problem could be solved with a very informal chat and an agreement for the employee to return the coffee, chocolate and the £19 float by the end of the day and provided that there’s no repeat of the scallying then nothing else need be said.

If the employee is rubbish at their job, or insubordinate then there’s justifiable grounds for sacking.

BobaFatt
    Free Member

Actually, re-read page 2, didn’t notice this:

that would be because I have never had to manage anybody before. last job there were 2 of us and we worked together and had mutual respect. I did the planning , he did the execution (s) of the plan, for 16 years.
    new job is 4 months old and I have no experience in managing a group of lower grade manual workers.

and

idiot#2

You perhaps need to look at what you’re doing wrong, you’re not coming across well, in fact, it almost sounds like you’re just desperate to fire someone because you can. You’ve mentioned here that you haven’t trained him properly so this could all turn back round on you very quickly

thestabiliser
    Free Member

4 months in

Are you under scrutiny for the acid incident and lashing out?

Not judging at all, sounds like you’ve moved into a situation your not 100% comfortable with. Maybe talk to your manager honestly, they’re presumably a human being too.( though it must be said, some aren’t)

singletrackmind

so it would appear its ok for me to come to your office or prison ( irony alert ) steal your house keys from your desk drawer. Drive round to your house , use your keys to enter your house. The drink your coffee , make a sandwich from your fridge, drive back to your office, replace key and its all hunky dory.
    I dont want to fire the lad . He can do good work. There are trust issues and Im sorry but going into my locker simply isnt on.
    we dont have a Hr dept , and i dont have really have a manager either.

stabiliseer, Nope not at all I was on holiday when it happened .

dpfr

You have bigger management problems than sweets disappearing. You clearly don’t have control of the chemicals you use because either you have a system in place but haven’t ensured it is followed, or you don’t have a system in place at all. In my world, either would be a serious management failing. If you don’t know how to set this up and operate it, then your boss is culpable too.

The advice to involve HR is good, and you need to ask for support and traning yourself.

Drac

so it would appear its ok for me to come to your office or prison ( irony alert ) steal your house keys from your desk drawer. Drive round to your house , use your keys to enter your house. The drink your coffee , make a sandwich from your fridge, drive back to your office, replace key and its all hunky dory.

That’s not what happened at all now is it. You think, as there’s no proof, he had some chocs and someone helped themselves to petty cash. You have no proof.

Merak

^ Genuinely, look at PJM1974’s post. It’s spot on and you’d do well to try that tact first.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Either a troll, or you are indeed David Brent.

Garry_Lager

You’re sort of bouncing between extremes of poor management, stmind.

Miles too soft, as you’re letting this wee beaut raid your personal chocolate cache with impugnity – should have thrown a right bollocking into him there as a minimum (would be an off-the-clock straightener in other lines of work, ie Ton’s). Then having this fester you’re going way OTT and looking to insta-fire him on dubious grounds, when it’s not even clear there’s a performance issue.

Need to take a step back and steer a steadier course – make your mind up about the guy absent the chocolate nonsense (get some advice from your boss if that’s feasible). Don’t be too hard on yourself, either (despite the pish-taking here) – managing folk is hard and getting good at it means a lot of mistakes along the way.

Merak

Also don’t leave the key for your drawer where anybody can get it. What do you expect will happen?

konabunny
    Free Member

I think the OP is getting an unfairly harsh time. It’s political correctness gone mad.

Don’t list to Jambalaya there’s more reasons than discrimination. Whistling Blowing for one which is kind of what this is.

I don’t get it. What aspect of this is Whistling Blowing?

singletrackmind

whats the difference then, once you decide to take a set of keys and open up a locker that does not belong to you , where do you think that course of action is going?

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

you can’t fire him based on speculation, pretty sure he’ll have you for that.

And stop buying poncy overpriced Mellow Birds, you’re not fooling anyone

Do food manufacturers follow GMP/GDP regs?

Doesn’t matter if it wouldn’t have really affected the product, it should still be a non-conformance that gets people asking questions about why it happened, because it could have affected the batch. Small deviations beg questions in regards to other procedures as well – we’d have the MHRA/FDA right up our arses for that, if it wasn’t properly dealt with.

What grade was the acid?

Also “food safe” doesn’t mean that much. I’m guessing it means that it’s been manufactured to a spec fit for human consumption, what grade was it? By entering the wrong area, was there any way it could have been added in the incorrect quantities? Are there checks and balances to make sure people are going to notice this, before they decide to pour half a litre of whatever into a brewing vat?

Our facilities place is run by a bunch of ex squaddies, who’d have a **** fit if something like this ever happened. But it wouldn’t happen in the first place because of that attitude, they’re used to dealing with all sorts of nasty stuff in a responsible manner.

Drac

I don’t get it. What aspect of this is Whistling Blowing?

Yeah I read one of his posts wrong. 😳

whats the difference then, once you decide to take a set of keys and open up a locker that does not belong to you , where do you think that course of action is going?

“It was a personal locker? I wasn’t informed I thought it’s just where we kept the staff chocolates”

Stealing is bad but you need to prove it v

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

…you’ve come on her asking for advice of which there has been some excellent stuff said, but you’re moaning about trust issues etc, you’ve not listened to a word that’s been said or even acknowledged any of the excellent advice given – even from someone who underwrites employment law !

Take some critism like a professional would – thats management !

Talk to the guy that’s good management and talk to the owners or whoever is senior to you and ask for training

…or just be a typical **** manager that everyone thinks is a c nut

Good luck

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Is this a new take on victim blaming 😉

jambalaya
    Free Member

Yeah I read one of his posts wrong.

Buggar, I had prepared a massive rant !

A good friend of mine created, grew, ran then sold a business for £50m. He gave me the following advice

“Hire slowly, fire quickly”

Getting the right people is tough. The wrong people cost a business grreatly and absorb management time both of which hold a company back.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Management isn’t easy. In fact it’s bloody hard. There are plenty of mediocre bosses around, but very few great ones. I’ve been lucky enough to have plenty of experience to know the difference.

Thirteen years ago, I had to manage a spoiled sixteen year old girl, who’s builder daddy played golf with my senior boss. She had me by the balls and she knew it, right up until she threw a hissy fit at me in the middle of an open-plan office and called me a c*** when I asked her to return a client’s phone call. I could have and should have marched her out of the door there and then, instead I didn’t and the problem got worse. It eventually resolved itself (and I kid you not) when she passed her driving test and drove shitfaced through someone’s living room. Aside from superficial injury, she was physically fine, but the PTSD ensured she was too badly shaken to work and her resignation was accepted as by this time she’d brought the firm into disrepute.

Case two involved a young lad who was working for a newly promoted twenty-something with plenty of banter, but no empathy, guile or people skills. His subordinate was a reasonably bright lad, destined for better things, but the boss in question simply did not inspire any respect or invest any confidence whatsoever. Of course, the young lad quickly became “a problem”, was regularly set up to fail so he bid his time and eventually walked, having compiled enough evidence to ensure his soon to be ex-boss was dropped in the shit and subject to a disciplinary. Oh, that lad was me.

Sometimes a quiet word works wonders, if the employee is genuinely on the fiddle and taking the mick, then set clear boundaries and ensure that they know exactly where the line is.

daniel_owen_uk
    Free Member

Stolen the coffee that was bought especially for me, and put it in his own little pot and replaced with nasty stale Nescafe decaf, as if i wouldnt notice Azzuro Intenso had changed size , colour and flavour.

Sack that lad already and buy some decent coffee!

Joking aside get a grip and sit the lad down, tell him to stop being an arse as petty shit like this might get him fired.

If that conversation had already taken place and this continued I guarantee you anyone here with any management experience would think very differently about your original post.

jamj1974

First off OP, fair play for coming on here and posting – it shows that you are aware of your lack of experience and that is a good start. In addition, you are open about this lack of experience and that is also a positive.

There are several experienced managers giving you advice based on their likely successes [u]and[/i][/u] likely mistakes too. Ignore this at you peril. As a manager of some experience, I would suggest that one of my best bits of advice is listen to voices of experience, you will learn so much from them. In summary, they are telling you this: –
    1. Legalities aside of your ability to sack him – he doesn’t seem to have been managed, so this may be unfair
    2. Despite your conviction, the evidence is circumstantial regarding theft
    3. Theft is wrong – no one disagrees, but you have let this go to far before proposing drastic action
    4. Address this inaction now with an informal warning and monitor his behaviour going forward and take more formal action – including proper investigation if needed

Drac, PJM1974 and Broess have said it well. Take the time to read it slowly and deliberately tomorrow. Imagine they are telling someone else not you and you will likely see it is good advice.

All the best in managing this .

J

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

2. Despite your conviction, the evidence is circumstantial regarding theft

plus 1 and all the rest telling you

no evidence all circumstantial

Saccades
    Free Member

Tom_W1987 – Food manufacturing do follow GMP/GDP, but it’s a few rungs down from pharma/biotech.

Then you get to cosmetics….

samunkim
    Free Member

You do realise that kind of petty theft is “dominance issues”. He may as well be shitting in your slippers !!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Well hope you did read the advice, moving straight to sacking is a big leap. Especially with no real evidence. If you don’t have the balls to ask him whats been going on then you should probably be the one thinking of your future as a manager.

new job is 4 months old and I have no experience in managing a group of lower grade manual workers.

Is this is a troll then you are playing it very straight, if not you are seriously out of touch, those lower grade urchins are actually people. You need to treat them like that.

cheers_drive

Is the OPs story a metaphor for something else, like the allotment thread?

dannybgoode

A friend of mine did actually get sacked for allegedly strealing a bag of crisps. Evidence was sketchy to say the least and ultimately they were using it as an excuse to get rid of him.

I helped him through the tribunal process – it cost the company a few grand to settle before it went too far.

curto80
    Free Member

How many threads are you going to start about someone “stealing” your miniature Snickers?

hora
    Free Member

To me it’s like its some sort of joke to him, getting one over and he doesn’t respect you OP. He clearly thinks it’s humour however do you have ANY concrete proof?

Would you have a 100% case if he felt aggrevied and took you to tribunal?

Sit him down, formal warning then any transgressions move the process swiftly on. People who muckup tend to have a habit.

However without firm proof your leaving yourself open.

Sacking someone because you thought they ate your sweets isn’t enough.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

hora +1

perchypanther
    Free Member

miniature Snickers?

Sometimes, I like to eat fun size Mars bars and pretend i’m a giant.
    I also like to eat king size Mars bars and pretend i’m a dwarf.

When I eat the tiny ones out of a box of Celebrations I pretend to be dinosaur.

Will I get sacked?

FuzzyWuzzy

Assuming this isn’t a premature and unfunny April Fools… yes the lad’s behaviour isn’t acceptable and yes he should know that without being told but as a manager and an adult you should have taken the time to explain this to him and warn him about it if necessary.

It sounds like you don’t actually want any management responsibility (although if you’re new in the role wasn’t that part of what you’d agree to take on?) but that’s still no reason to potentially **** up someone’s life over what are pretty trivial acts.

avdave2

Once upon of time you could just have had him hanged for it.Or at least transported to Australia. I miss those days.

hora
    Free Member

Take on the Lad, take on the challenge and manage him.

Anyone can fire. It’s much harder to change, manage and develop someone.

Bloody sweets. Sod the coffee, that is slightly funny.

In my first job at Woolworths head office I thought my boss was drinking too much coffee, she looked wrecked. So I started making her decaff without her knowing, she didn’t spot it and I think she looked better for it. I told her when my feet were firmly under the table 😀

Monday morning present him with a tub of Celebration s explain they are for him and explain how the future works. Explain about trust and what you expect, does he like his job?

martinhutch

No-one is expecting you to just rolover and take it, but perhaps a Kinder approach to your staff would work better.

perchypanther
    Free Member

No-one is expecting you to just rolover and take it, but perhaps a Kinder approach to your staff would work better.

Aye, it’s bound tae. 🙂

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Sacking someone because you thought they ate your sweets isn’t enough a bit sad.

😥

wwaswas

Take on the Lad, take on the challenge and manage him.

Anyone can fire. It’s much harder to change, manage and develop someone.

[through gritted teeth]

Hora’s talking a lot of sense there.

[/through gritted teeth]

I’m with the rest, firing someone out the blue for a couple of quid’s worth of chocolate sounds like you don’t actually want to deal with a problem, just make it go away.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 259 total)

The topic ‘Firing staff’ is closed to new replies.