Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • Firework Month has Started FFS
  • peteimpreza

First “display” of the season tonight.

It’s only 26th October!!!

Goblin knows when this years season will end. Went on for almost a month last year.

Best wishes to all your terrified cats , dogs and other pets.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

There’s a load just gone off here as well! Your’e not in Boroughbridge are you?

Drac

Not one has gone off here. My dog loves to watch them.

doordonot
    Free Member

Someone has gotten way too excited with the fireworks over our way. The fireworks (more like a frenzied thunderflash extravaganza) has been going on for about twenty minutes…

mtbfix

Just had a little display a couple of doors down. Celebrating their new fence, perhaps? Pets unfazed.

CountZero

Heard some briefly a week or so ago, but nothing since, surprisingly; that one was probably just a party or something.
    Waiting for things to kick off over Halloween…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It was a shock how quiet my first November in Oz was, kind of nice having lived in the WW1 replays in Liverpool…

kimbers

My birthday is November 5th so I just view it as everyone getting excited
    about my special day

Also its diwali
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/diwali-2014-what-is-the-festival-of-lights-and-how-is-it-celebrated-9810212.html

Tho its later this year

VanHalen

I see the fun police are out early this year…

I love a bonfire and blowing things up. Kids love a good firework too. Cat doesn’t.

bearnecessities

Cat doesn’t

Does it JUMP!?

bruneep

nothing I like better than explosive devices thrown, aimed at us or placed in bins on fire, what a hoot! 🙄

If it was up to me I’d ban the sale to general public

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Just be glad you don’t live in East Sussex. We really love our fireworks.

I like dogs, a lot. But I don’t get the annual whinges of those who decide to enslave one in a rather unnatural town environment and then feel the dogs should be protected from noise. Or the cat owners whose pets kill tons of small birds and rodents yet need protection from loud bangs… Really? I mean Really are you serious?

angeldust
    Free Member

I like fireworks. Don’t bother my dog at all. Do feel a bit sorry for the ones that are affected though.

zomg

Where I grew up fireworks were banned on account of terrorists using the gunpowder to make bombs. Thinking about it now, I’m surprised some enterprising British jihadis haven’t earned them the same fate here.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Van Halen – Member
    I see the fun police are out early this year..

LOL, you want them every night for a month? Badly organised, overlapping etc.
    Also think sale should at least be restricted.

sbob
    Free Member

peteimpreza – Member

First “display” of the season tonight.

It’s only 26th October!!!

Fireworks are legal to use all year round.

Best wishes to all your terrified cats , dogs and other pets.

As the forum’s self-professed fireworks expert, every year I have offered to help people with pets, though no-one has ever taken me up on this.
    I guess that whilst we’re all concerned with animal welfare, whinging sometimes takes priority.

Play safe kids, and if anyone has any genuine questions related to firework safety or legislation (I can quote large parts of the 1875 explosives act verbatim) then do ask. 🙂

sbob
    Free Member

Also think sale should at least be restricted.

Sales already are restricted. 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

More restricted…. Like anything good or nice too much of it dulls things out and makes them not as special.

sbob
    Free Member

bruneep – Member

nothing I like better than explosive devices thrown, aimed at us or placed in bins on fire, what a hoot!

If it was up to me I’d ban the sale to general public

You drive a car, responsible for a couple of thousand deaths a year.
    Compare that to fireworks, which are responsible for how many deaths a year on average?
    None?
    Get a sense of perspective.

More people are injured by toilet brushes.

sbob
    Free Member

mikewsmith – Member

More restricted

Restricted to what?
    Are there any particular religions you would like to impose restrictions on for instance?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Smaller, less powerful, smaller quantities, specific purchase windows for private use for a start. Restricted use in built up areas for a start. Fact is most home displays are shit and a waste of cash. Taking it logically banning sales to members of the public without training, accreditation and a permit for use would be nice.
    Not sure where you got religion from, not sure how relevant that is.

ericemel
    Free Member

I moved to the UK as a kid and this is what I learnt:

Get your kids to make a ‘guy’
    Teach them to beg for money to buy explosives
    Make a huge fire
    Blow shit up
    Make a (dummy) human sacrifice
    Eat a burnt sausage

And now parents don’t let their kids out because of the crazies….strange that!

batfink
    Free Member

My birthday is November 5th so I just view it as everyone getting excited
    about my special day

Wooooooooo! Me and Kimbers are birthday buddies!

I bloody love fireworks.

I think the safety argument doesn’t really hold water, particularly when compared to mountain biking 🙂 however, i do have some sympathy for the “nuance use by scallys” argument …. but suspect the police already have sufficient legislative powers to deal with that.

bearnecessities

sbob – self professed fireworks expert

You drive a car

He drives a fire engine.

Get a sense of perspective.

See above.

Onzadog
    Free Member

5th of November is one single day. A day that most people don’t associate that much significance to.

I know there are other celebrations associated with fireworks but given the concentration around this time of year, Guy Fawkes night is the one we’re talking abound.

So, given its an event on a single date, why drag it out over 4 to 6 weeks?

Limiting it to organised events on that date or the nearest weekend would get my vote.

bruneep

He drives a fire engine

Nah I sit in the front. Pushing the nee naw buttons.

sbob I’ve seen and had to deal with adults and small children injured from fireworks aimed at them or went off in their pockets or hands.

All can be avoided by banning the sale to general public.

mattbee

I’m properly torn because I love big bangs and explosions and am delighted that as a me,her of the public I can still buy ‘explosives’. However my dog is a massive mincer. Whilst absolutely fine with shotgun style ‘bangs’ he goes mental at the ‘screechy/squealy’ type ones that the local limp waisted middle class muppets seem to prefer.

One of the few benefits of the daily pain medication he is in for his knackered back and hips though is that he’s become much more settled in the evening, probably in a doggy heroin coma or something. Maybe I will be able to blow craters in the lawn this year..

swanny853

Nah I sit in the front. Pushing the nee naw buttons

The nee and the naw have separate buttons? That must be exhausting

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Meanwhile, in the Netherlands…..

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GR8Jg3wvvd4[/video]

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZpBvVAf0Hg[/video]

This goes on for days, and sounds like war.

bruneep

The nee and the naw have separate buttons? That must be exhausting

It is! Some have been known to get RSI.

Onzadog
    Free Member

RSI? Repeated siren injury?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Stoatsbrother – Member

I like dogs, a lot. But I don’t get the annual whinges of those who decide to enslave one in a rather unnatural town environment and then feel the dogs should be protected from noise. Or the cat owners whose pets kill tons of small birds and rodents yet need protection from loud bangs… Really? I mean Really are you serious?

‘Mon the stoats!

Drac

I’ve never treat or attended a firework related incident in over 26 years.

They’re controlled just enough why ban them for a few idiots who can’t behave.

Just how many calls do you get Bruneep in this period to firework incidents?

Cougar

It’s been quite quiet this year. Normally we start being carpet-bombed in the middle of September, by this point it’s usually like living in the Middle East. Only heard a couple this time round, oddly.

mt
    Free Member

There’s some right miseries on here, are they in the first stages of becoming Daily Mail readers? Ban this, ban that, ban fun, ban scaring the sh1t out of yourself with bangers (what happen to them).

jimjam
    Free Member

mt
    There’s some right miseries on here, are they in the first stages of becoming Daily Mail readers? Ban this, ban that, ban fun, ban scaring the sh1t out of yourself with bangers (what happen to them).

I tell you what, spend the month of October in any working class area of Belfast and see how you like it (or pretty much anywhere since you’re never far from a scumbag here).

When you have gangs of teenagers roaming around throwing fireworks at house windows, at cars, at children, through letterboxes and generally trying to injure and terrorise people with them I defy you to see them as “fun”.

And for context I’m not talking about sparklers and little bangers. One of the popular tricks here is to put them in a bin on a busy street. When they go off I’ve seen them blow the door of the bin open, shower the street with rubbish and set the bin on fire in addition of course to terrifying/defeaning people.

jam-bo

about the only thing I miss about living in the east sussex.

still amazed I have all my fingers.

Is Lewes still as mental as it used to be or have they had to tone it down?

scotroutes

So, given its an event on a single date, why drag it out over 4 to 6 weeks?

See; Christmas

twiglet_monster
    Free Member

Sussex Bonfire – still utterly fabulous

“We wunt be druv”

Drac

Look at them bloody yobos scaring poor mittens.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Firework Month has Started FFS’ is closed to new replies.