• This topic has 73 replies, 47 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by cloggy.
Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)
  • Firewood. How much are you paying?
  • cloudnine
    Free Member

West Wales plenty of FB ads for £60 / ton bag of seasoned ash / mixed wood.

Next week ive got 8 good sized ash trees to take down (all have fairly advanced die back). Ive got to find somewhere to put about 12m3 of ash so should be sorted for wood for the next 3 years…

ransos
    Free Member

Whilst I can see it’s an issue in highly populated areas; when you live rural (there are 20 odd houses in the 3-4 square miles in my vicinity) I’m still to be convinced it’s not better than fossil fuels in the round.

Sure, but overwhelmingly most people live in cities, towns and villages. I’m sanguine about the very small % of the population in the situation you describe.

convert

Sure, but overwhelmingly most people live in cities, towns and villages. I’m sanguine about the very small % of the population in the situation you describe.

I’m with you. So, if all the affluent townies wanting firewood for aesthetic appeal could kerb their habit the price might drop a bit!

trail_rat
    Free Member

Amen.

timber

Nice to know I’m still cheap after putting prices up this winter 🙄😄

So much load and locality variation makes comparisons hard. I could probably double my price easily if I was to deliver down to Cardiff, certainly know of one firm around here doing it.

bikesandboots

So, if all the affluent townies wanting firewood for aesthetic appeal could kerb their habit the price might drop a bit!

Indeed, and stop causing others to go back to burning coal:

Firewood in recent years seems to have become seen as a luxury product for burning in the parlour stove, and priced as so. A few people I know with fire/stove as the only means to heat their homes have resumed getting coal deliveries.

singletrackmind

£1 a split log in a green mesh bag at the local petrol station.9 odd in total.
    Kindling £5 for a bag 1/4 of the size of the green mesh bag.
    Customer questions it but carried on with his purchase.
    Got approx 1T of wood at mine. Love the chainsaw, split and stack methodology of it

Waderider
    Free Member

Firewood costs money? Other shocks in this thread include the disclosure you can buy wood sheds…….

kilo

350 euros for a trailer load of turf, will probably last us a couple of years. Wood I cut down myself – fir trees are like weeds for us.

Looks like a deceptively small pile in the photo, filled the shed behind it and a job hand balling it all in.

Turf

Houns

What’s that attachment on your Stihl?

kilo

It’s a brush cutter, unfortunately it’s not a stihl but a “if we make it in orange it’ll look better than it is” cutter, which has now been replaced with a Stihl!
    Gardening in our yard is quite heavy duty, we’re on our third brush cutter in ten years. Hopefully spunking the best part of seven hundred euros on a stihl will buy some longevity.

Houns

Thought the fuel tank was on wrong side, ah must be the angle making the guard look odd. You’ll love the new brushcutter

benz
    Free Member

The most recent load we got was £225 for 2 x m2 of locally kiln dried Elm. The folks we use fuel their kilns using locally harvested wood.

It was slightly more expensive than folks on FB Classifieds, but excellent quality.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Benz that sounds the lads just after the midmar bend at the duck pond.

Good lads them . My mate used to live the other side of the track. Just their delivery truck can’t get in either side of my house and delivery to the road isn’t an option 🙁

andylc
    Free Member

If the rhyme is anything to go by I wouldn’t be paying for elm!

Beechwood fires are bright and clear
    If the logs are kept a year,
    Chestnut’s only good they say,
    If for logs ’tis laid away.
    Make a fire of Elder tree,
    Death within your house will be;
    But ash new or ash old,
    Is fit for a queen with crown of gold

Birch and fir logs burn too fast
    Blaze up bright and do not last,
    it is by the Irish said
    Hawthorn bakes the sweetest bread.
    Elm wood burns like churchyard mould,
    E’en the very flames are cold
    But ash green or ash brown
    Is fit for a queen with golden crown

Poplar gives a bitter smoke,
    Fills your eyes and makes you choke,
    Apple wood will scent your room
    Pear wood smells like flowers in bloom
    Oaken logs, if dry and old
    keep away the winter’s cold
    But ash wet or ash dry
    a king shall warm his slippers by

benz
    Free Member

TR,

Delivery was from the folks up past Monymusk towards Chapel Of Garioch. Delivered by a tipper Landie.

Must admit to liking some nicely seasoned Beech for the log burner – we used to get from some folks who harvested wind-blown round their farm but not doing it now.

Also like burning old Whisky barrels – love the blue flames and the aroma during storage – magic!

Guessing the Elm was pretty good burning – chimney sweep had no more than a mug of soot this year.

andylc
    Free Member

Going back a bit – kilo isn’t burning turf supposed to be the home heating equivalent to murdering kittens these days..??

kilo

Probably, the sale of it in commercial premises is just being banned, last month. Realistically that pile will last us years, it’s a second home and there’s oil, so we used to only use a few sacks a year, this summer I had the opportunity to get a full trailer so decided to do so. It’s handy to have solid fuel for the times without power / boiler issues. Our population density is probably four or five houses within a couple of square miles so we’re not in any urban environment, in fact we are immediately surrounded by forest on all sides at present.

pistonbroke
    Free Member

Firewood is sold by the kg around here, last year it was €0.12 per kg for 150 year old logs and roots, this year I’ve paid €100 for 21/2 tonnes so half price which should easily last the 3 months or so we light the fire, it’s our only source of heating. Being olive wood it is quite slow burning, sometimes living in the middle of an olive growing area of southern Cataluña has it’s compensations.

bedmaker

20221120-182339

Some elm this evening, burning like mould….
    I reckon the old wives tale about it not burning is simply because it takes ao long to dry.
    ‘Season’ it for a year, and it’ll probably still be over 50% moisture. Give it three years and you’ll have some of the finest firewood available.

welshfarmer

I had a load of trees blow down in the storms last year which I cut up to sell as firewood. However, HMRC have just let it be known that they will take 50% of anything I make from the sales. Apparently it is the windfall tax

i’ll get my coat…

retrorick

I bought a ton of the compressed wood briquettes last year for £225. This year price is up to around £270 + delivery. Fox timber merchants. I have half a ton left to get me through this winter + I’ll do a bit of scavenging in the local woods for other bits.
    The compressed stuff seems to burn ok and is easy to stack.

myti
    Free Member

£165 for 1.4 cubic metre barn dried, local wood from forestry management and certified ‘ready to burn’ delivered to Brighton.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Now, if anyone wants to drop a forestry trailer of hardwood length in the FoD my dad wants some.He likes 10 or 20 tons at a time.
    I would be intrigued to see concrete facts re the harm that woodburners do. If they outweigh, significantly, modern pollutants such as viatually all air transport, the manufacturing and charging of consumer electricals, recreational driving etc I might be convinced but as a far more long standing process I would see it as the default to be cut after all of the above modern pollutants.
    Snag is there probably isn’t definitive evidence and anyway, all the objectors live in glass houses which they get to by car or plane talking on their phone while they do it.

intheborders
    Free Member

We’ve burned kiln-dried Ash since trying a few different woods early on when we got our stove, we’ve no CH, just a burner at one end and an AGA at the other, so we need wood that creates heat, not just light.

We’ve used the same supplier for 7/8 years and a couple of years ago (pre Brexit controls) we were paying £270 a delivery. Earlier this year it’d upped to £350 and now the same volume is at £590… We commonly get through 2 loads per year.

Needless to say I’ve ordered a ‘trial’ cubic metre from a different local supplier, still kiln dried.

dogbone

If anyone has a good supplier near Bristol please let me know. I can collect.

highlandman
    Free Member

I’ve been lucky enough to have the same tree-surgery family supplying our logs for over thirty years now; I get whatever rough split hardwood they have been felling lately. So I split these big lumps down to our size and stack into a dry store each winter for the following year.
    A two tonne load in a tipper lorry has now risen to £180 delivered from their yard about ten miles away.
    Just as well it’s that reasonable as I’m WFH and the stove is sometimes on in the morning now it’s regularly frosty.
    They’re not accepting any new customers.

cx_monkey

Still using the Ash we had taken down due to dieback 2 summers ago, but the same chap who took ours down sells an ash/oak mix for £80 for a 2 cube trailer full. We now have another 2 big ash that need to come down this spring, so don’t think i’ll need to actually buy any for a long while.

Saw the comment about kiln dried ash above – do they really do that? seems overkill for something that’s only 35% misture content live. Probably takes only 6 months to season down below 20%.

I do use the compressed sawdust stuff called Hotmax – use a broken up ‘log’ when lighting to help it get up to temp quicker – never tried to run a fire on this alone though. Can imagine it would get pretty spendy.

We also run the little stove on smokeless ovals – they’ve proper shot up in price – nearly £20 for a 25kg bag now. Need to have a look around and see if there’s anyone doing cheaper if i get a pallet of them or something.

We’re off mains gas, and don’t have oil – so solid fuels is all we have. But we’re thinking of looking at new generation electric wall heaters too, to add into the mix. Lighting a fire when you’re late from work is ‘testing’ some times LOL

Blackflag
    Free Member

live near loads of woods and in a rural area where trees are always blowing down on farmland or across roads. I head out with my trailer and a chainsaw every now and then. Its been a few years since i last bought wood.

doris5000

350 euros for a trailer load of turf, will probably last us a couple of years. Wood I cut down myself – fir trees are like weeds for us.

Looks like a deceptively small pile in the photo, filled the shed behind it and a job hand balling it all in.

Ha! As a kid I used to get bollocked for playing in the turf pile in my grandad’s workshop. We’d run up and down it. He didn’t mind, but my mum got angry that we all got dirty.

Thinking back… it was probably about that size!

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I started selling logs last winter here in Fife. I have a growing list of customers mostly who have been ripped off with overpriced unseasoned wood.

I’ve been stockpiling for years and made the realisation that I could never burn all the stock I have in my remaining lifetime. I get my wood from a tree surgeon friend who I now work a couple of days a week with.

I’m selling my hardwood bulk bags for £90 plus a delivery charge. No doubt I could charge more but I have a regular loyal customer base with low overheads.

You can find me on Instagram as mcmoonter

andrewh
    Free Member

Mine is free, I have a van and a saw.
    It’s even easier just now, there is still so much damage from Storm Arwen still to be cleared up that people are pleased that others are taking it away!
    My only problem is storing the stuff, I only have a very small garden, and therefore very small woodstore, I fill it late March, early April and then start burning it usually November, it’s about dry by then but it would be nice to be able to hold two year’s worth and dry it another year.

timber

I’ve seen at @mcmoonter Instagram and he’s got more stored than me currently!

cloggy

I cut 7 pig trailer loads of branch wood Beech, £10 a load. Add garage rent insurance and fuel for the Series One and chainsaw. My recent monthly electricity bill was £35……

Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.