Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Firepit or big ass chimera in the garden….
  • gravitysucks
    Free Member

Going to build a wooden gazebo in the garden approx 12 x 8 foot. It will have a solid back wall, the side will be solid to half way and then half height at the front, the front will be completly open.
    The roof will be covered (paneled and tiled / shingled). The roof will slop 9’or 10′ high at the front to 7′ or 8′ at the back.

Now I fancy putting either a small fire pit (18-24″ across)in the middle towards the front of the gazeo put obviously is would be a lot warmer / cosier centred towards the back of the gazebo.

My two main concerns are heat and smoke. The gazebo will be a full wooden structure.

I thought putting vented areas at the apex front and rear would help to get rid of the smoke that is trapped in the roof space.
    I also though i could maybe put some form of hood above it if it was at the rear with a chimney going out the top of the roof (Not sure how plausiable that would be)

So whats best fire pit front, fire pit back or just get a chimera…

Or will I just have a big bonfire after putting loads of work in?

gravitysucks
    Free Member

something like this but smaller…

soobalias
    Free Member

?? fire pit sounds safer, but less likely to protect your bikes from tea-leaves.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

If you roof it I think you’ll just end up with a smoke house, even with some holes /slats in the roof it’ll only improve things a little. The trick seems to be to get the draw of the fire and its not easy with an open top. Chimneys help to funnel the draft up and out, no chimney means no channel. Either build a chimney over it, get a chimea thing or put the firepit out front of the build in the total open air.

nealglover
    Free Member

Chimera 😀

Not the safest option as pointed out 🙂

theotherjonv

slight hijack….

I’d like a firepit / firebowl thing for early and late summer evenings, but we have decking at the back. Anyone use done on a deck, will it go up in flames? What bount if I had a sandtray to stand it in?

Most of what I’ve read is concerned with flying embers, which would be an issue to the shed, foliage, etc. anyway. Nothing about heat radiated down onto the surface it stands on, or transmitted through legs.

MrSparkle

Chiminea.

Chiminea.

Chiminea, figaro.
    Beelzebub had a devil put aside for meeeee

Smudger666

jonv

I have the same issue and solved it with a water tray, rather than a sand tray – so long as there is water in the tray, the temp cannot exceed 100degC and the decking, including the section I replaced after realising too late that I needed a tray, is unmarked!

The firebowl I have stands approx 400mm above the decking and there is room to slide in the base of an old hot water tank, filled with water. This is then stored upside down on the firepit when not being used and stops the firepit getting manky in the rain.

molgrips
    Free Member

We’re looking at getting someting to warm our patio since it gets no sun in the evening.

We’re thinking a fire basket as they are cheap, and the fire is much more visible so the kids can see it and beware of it much better I reckon. Plus better for toasting marshmallows, and I reckon you could cook on it once it’s gone down to coals too. We don’t have a roof though.

phil.w
    Free Member

Chiminea.

Chiminea.

Chiminea, figaro let me go.
    Beelzebub had a devil put aside for meeeee Surely?

But back to the OP…
    If you’ve got a roof wouldn’t either an open fire with chimney or open door woodburner with flue be the best option?

gravitysucks
    Free Member

lmao chimera.
    oh yeh!!

nothing built as yet Phil but without weather a shelter from the rain would be a bonus!!

Wood burner might be a good option!
    I was thinking of putting benches along the back and sides with storage underneath for logs so this would be a good option…

phil.w
    Free Member

Roof definitely is a good idea. Sounds perfect for a gas bottle woodburner. Maybe even using a tall 47kg one and leaving the door off so it’s like a cross between chimnea and wood burner (like a chimnea with a flue) And if it was central in the room you could even cut an opening through two sides for better effect.

Milkie
    Free Member

Chiminea and turn it into a rocket!

JEngledow
    Free Member

+1 what phil.w said, about the wood burning stove and not the accuracy of MrSparkle’s song lyrics 🙄

monkey_boy
    Free Member

chiminea = manly

firepit = girly

had many a drunken night sat round the chiminea, dont get a clay one though.

i was banned by the wife once at the end of the night i rolled up a magazine and dropped it down the funnel and got bored and went to bed.

next morning the wife shouting “get in here you idiot and look at this”

during the night the magazine caught a good un and all the bits of magazine got blwon up over the fence and fell on 6 parked cars in the carpark at the side of the house!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Firepit or big ass chimera in the garden….’ is closed to new replies.