• This topic has 15 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by chvck.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Firefox Daylight
  • thepurist

I’ve been ‘upgraded’ to the new version of Firefox on Android and so far am not enjoying the experience – performance wise it seems fine, but it just feels really clunky to use with extra steps in simple tasks compared to the previous version.

I’ve always kept a few browsers as some sites seem to work better on one than others, but this is pushing me away from Firefox as a default.

doris5000

yeah I got that yesterday. I used to have it so that my bookmarks were displayed when you opened a new tab; that doesn’t seem to be an option any more?

Alex

I used to love FF. I gave up a few versions ago when it went full-bloat. Hard to see how it can carry on really with so much domination by chrome/edge/safari/etc

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    twrch
    Free Member

I am a huge Firefox fan, largely because we need some competition for Google. (For some background – Google have enormous resources, and will happily run away with web standards and make it very hard for anyone to ever create a new browser. It’s already difficult unless you have a big development team at your disposal). Anyway – the shine is definitely off for me. Their UI changes are just annoying. FF on Android now has the browser bar at the bottom – maybe it is slightly better for one-handed operation, but basically all websites are laid out with the expectation of the bar being at the top, and it frequently gets in the way of website buttons and the like.

ffej
    Free Member

FF on Android now has the browser bar at the bottom

This can be changed easily.. but I agree it is annoying when developers move these things as a default.

Click the 3 dots – settings / customise / toolbar

Jeff

twrch
    Free Member

Click the 3 dots – settings / customise / toolbar

Ahh thank you! Sanity restored.

RAGGATIP
    Free Member

Firefox in its default settings is crap. However, it is still the best browser that exists in my opinion. The reason is that it has a lot of flexibility under the hood.

Type in about:config into the address bar and that is where all the settings can be changed. The amount of telemetry your browser sends to remote servers is astonishing. Type in ‘telemetry’ into the search within the about:config page. Outgoing telemetry can easily be illustrated by using an application such as Net Activity Viewer (linux only) or Netguard (Android). You can disable much of this.

You can customise the browser to be very secure using a file called user.js which is then placed into the user profile folder (desktop version). You can have multiple profiles with varying degrees of security that can be clicked open when you choose to so you can have multiple browser windows open all treated as separate sessions, so not sharing cookie data, etc.

However, Mozilla are going to be removing access to the about:config facility in an future version so we need even more choice unfortunately. This seems to be far and few between.

Even Brave Browser which many proclaim to be secure sends out loads of telemetry, or at least it did when I last experimented with it.

Right now Firefox secured using the settings within about:config is the best browser. Better than ungoogled Chromium.

FuzzyWuzzy

The main thing I hate about FF is the nag panel about updating it – there’s no way to turn it off (unless the latest version finally does?), most of my work is in a dark site with no Internet connectivity, impexing updates is a pain and not something we do routinely so I really don’t need my browser reminding me to update all the frickin time.

We’re actually shifting to Edge Chromium, the major advantage being patching via the standard MS process (not a full app reinstall as with FF), more policy options to. The current permitted desktop browser is still IE11 (aargh).

granny_ring

Yes we hate it.
    Will try that ffej….
    Well, it’s a bit better but bookmarks are all over the place.
    Prefer the previous version ……

irc

I hate new Firefox. Any suggestions for an alternative for an adroid phone

twrch
    Free Member

Any suggestions for an alternative for an adroid phone

An iPhone.

I’m only half joking – your only main non-Chrome alternative mobile browser is Safari. Developing a browser is hard enough, mobile development is a total faff, and the intersection of the two takes you into stabbing your eyes out with rusty spoons territory. Therefore, not many people do it.

mattyfez

I hate new Firefox. Any suggestions for an alternative for an adroid phone

Love Firefox on desktop but…

opera is the only mobile browser I can get on with as it seems to be the only one that does text re-flow properly. Added bonus of built in VPN and adblocker too.

twrch
    Free Member

opera is the only mobile browser I can get on with as it seems to be the only one that does text re-flow properly. Added bonus of built in VPN and adblocker too.

Opera was sold to a Chinese consortium in 2017. Make of that what you will.

mattyfez

Chrome is a google app, make of that what you will 😉

twrch
    Free Member

Chrome is a google app, make of that what you will 😉

Yep, doomed either way! I don’t use Chrome, but it doesn’t make much difference if your phone is Android. I can’t bring myself to pay the Apple tax, nor commit to doing everything the “Apple way”. I have thought about going back to a dumb phone, which might also help me stop wasting so much time on the internet, but that seems a bit like cutting off my own nose.

chvck
    Free Member

I can’t say as I’ve noticed much difference other than the URL bar moving to the bottom, which I moved back to the top.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Firefox Daylight’ is closed to new replies.