Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 219 total)
  • Firefighters to strike in september, over working hours
  • ernie_lynch
    Free Member

This country is full of turds who think this way.

So how come the Tories failed to win the last general election then ?

Selfish turds are a dying breed.

El-bent
    Free Member

So how come the Tories failed to win the last general election then ?

Which tories? The blue ones, the red ones, or the yellow ones?

nonk
    Free Member

@ crikey, so what if I have a 2nd job? I pay taxes on this. Is there a law against 2nd jobs? Many Mps have more than 3 or 4 jobs apart for being an MP. This dispute is about pension not about wages or hrs worked

Right so the fact that you get a good wage and a job that allows you to have a second income without to much stress has no place in the argument ?
    You probably think I don’t support you ? I do I just think you are so out of order abandoning your post that you should be sacked.
    A good friend of mine lost his house last time while you guys sat at home.
    His daughter took a few years to get over it.

Drac

I have no worries about my own fitness, not withstanding illness or a brick to the head, but it’s not just about me and **** everyone else is it?
    would you want two 59yo men or women (yes that is very possible) attempting to rescue your family from a house fire?
    not me pal

I agree but I would because when I’m 68 I’ll be expected to carry the ever growing fatter people downstairs. Add the ever increasing workload, I’ve attended 10 incidents since 11am, I’m not sure how I’ll get on.

However the Fire Service pension of old is very good no matter how much copying and pasting you do. It had to change sadly as did ours but yes it’s unfair for anyone 2/3 into their service to be shafted I agree.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Which tories? The blue ones, the red ones, or the yellow ones?

The blue ones mate. Selfish people who don’t give a monkeys instinctively vote Tory.

People who vote for the same policies repackaged as New Labour do so because they have been effectively hoodwinked, or feel that they can’t find an another alternative.

And yes, some thought they had with the LibDems.

Edric64
    Free Member

Will they be striking in their second jobs too?

No they are self employed window cleaners

bruneep

Right so the fact that you get a good wage

Its not about wages tho.

Good wage, yup! my take home is just over £1.5K I do have apart time job to supplement this and pay taxes on this again is this illegal? I stay in the most expensive city in Scotland and my fire service wage does not the cover the cost of living here.

It is still legal for me to withdraw my labour in a legal strike action.

phunkmaster
    Free Member

This link suggests UK firefighters fatality rate was 2.7 per 100’000 in 2004-2007. So safer than the average in the chart above.

http://www.firetactics.com/IRMP_MODERNIZATION.htm

Or it could be to do with the skill and competence of those in the fire sevice . . .

Fully support those in the fire service.

Remember, they go inside the burning building whilst you run out.

nonk
    Free Member

It is still legal for me to withdraw my labour in a legal strike action.

Don’t care either way to be honest you are not laying bricks you are supposed saving lives and homes.
    You sound like an MP banging on about what is legal whilst being questioned about expenses.

bruneep

so just roll over and accept? righto then 🙄

what I do on my rota days off is up to me. I don’t lay bricks that sounds like too much hard work 😉

nonk
    Free Member

I don’t have an answer on how to not roll over to be honest but would I fek go on strike if I had been given your job.
    Apart from my feelings on the strike best of luck with the pension battle

project
    Free Member

The problem is many people signed up to do a job for a set period and then retire earlier than others, and now the ones in power want to extend those hours, to save costs.

But if the fire men do withdraw their labour as is allowed in law(strike)then there is a good probability people wil die,or homes or buisnesses will burn to the ground, and that will feed a media frenzy and possibly calls for the privatisation of the fire services,lots of money to be made from atending rtc, lift breakdowns and fires,etc, etc,but then who pays these costs, yep we do through added insurance costs, but we get lots of logod fire engines, and part time firemen,with management possibly picking which sort of fire or emergency they attend., eg house fire, insurance cover, bonfire or grass fire , no insutrance cobver, until it starts burning a house or factory down.

irc

Or it could be to do with the skill and competence of those in the fire sevice . . .

Fully support those in the fire service.

Remember, they go inside the burning building whilst you run out.

The competence of the Fire service was never questioned. That doesn’t alter the fact that it is not an especially dangerous occupation.

As for the burning building – I have gone into one when the fire service hadn’t arrived yet.

brack
    Free Member

They’ve had it good for far too long!

Lost my sympathy I’m afraid… They should seriously take a look at what they have compared to others and then shut the hell up moaning.

I pulled on to a fire station car park the other day … Jeez it was packed with builders, window cleaner, first aid training vans!!

Second jobs!!

And before anyone asks how I know they all belonged to firefighters…!?

They had all been polished!!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

But if the fire men do withdraw their labour as is allowed in law(strike)then there is a good probability people wil die

So what was the death toll in previous disputes then ?

And how does that compare to deaths caused every time governments carry out cuts in essential services ?

project
    Free Member

pulled on to a fire station car park the other day … Jeez it was packed with builders, window cleaner, first aid training vans!!

charity van wash, training day for the self employed to learn first aid,our local fire station used to be a base for training courses.

sweepy
    Free Member

If the firefighters are pushed into striking they have my support

brack
    Free Member

Project…

Oh yeah right of course..!

Funny how they were in the non visitor parking area.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Jeez it was packed with builders, window cleaner, first aid training vans!!

They actually had ‘window cleaner’ written on the side of the van ? These firefighters are daft, aren’t they ?

Of course I believe you.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

the pension I signed up for was shafted including my right to retire early, increased contributions etc

the good news for me was that my Unions GMB, Unison and a third I don’t remember all recommended that their members bend over and accept the proposals

firefighters do an important job as do many others but they are not going to get much sympathy these days

One thought is that if fitness is so important then firefighters should be on contracts similar to the forces where there is an expectation that you do your time and then move to another career

sweepy
    Free Member

Whats the forces pension like?

althepal

Theres no doubt that there is a lot of downtime in their job and because they work long shifts they get a lot of time off.. but to be fair- most of the nhs work similar shifts. Whats wrong with having a second job?
    Strikings a tough one though.. times have changed and if they go out the public will probably turn on them- no doubt being fuelled by the redtops and the tory pr machine. In saying that I can see a general strike happeni g in the next year or two.. so many folk getting shafted, eventually they wont be able to swallow it. I for one do not look forward to that day.
    I have a lot of sympathy for them though, especially the ones that are only a few years (or were) from retirement. Heard one minister state that the pension scheme will still be much more generous than a private sector pension.. not a valid comparison at all and just another attempt to turn folk against them.
    Edit- what ernie said up there..

matt22
    Free Member

Having done a very small time poxy offshore course where I had to put out a controlled fire, drag a hose around and pull out a body, bearing in mind I was shown around the very basic building before hand I came out with a whole new respect for the Fire Service. There Emergency’s are real, they dont get to know where the rooms are or furniture is in the building to have to climb over and around whislt in a boiling hot room filled with smoke trying to remeber there way back out

If the Fire Service have to deal with me,family or friends I would rather they turned up with out the worry of being **** over for their payed into and earnt pension and were just able to consentrate on the job

toys19
    Free Member

I agree with matt22 above, when a fireman rescues you or your loved one from a certain death you will be happy to pay them whatever they want..
    Lets have a good argument about mp’s wages shall we?

Drac

Hahaha!

Edric64
    Free Member

They’ve had it good for far too long!

Lost my sympathy I’m afraid… They should seriously take a look at what they have compared to others and then shut the hell up moaning.

I pulled on to a fire station car park the other day … Jeez it was packed with builders, window cleaner, first aid training vans!!

Second jobs!!

Probably all retainers ? Part timers who had come from their full time paid jobs to man the appliance ?

konabunny
    Free Member

some people here hate anyone striking, this place will go nuclear when I go on strike later in the year!!!

Mate – I don’t think you going on strike from posting here will cause that much grief! 😉

enfht
    Free Member

A firefighter strike will be nothing more than a well timed reminder that not only “rich tories” are greedy.

TooTall
    Free Member

You would think that they were the only ones who had to change their working conditions and pension arrangements.
    I have never seen such a backward-looking, change-fearing and insular bunch of ‘professionals’ in my life. Actually – tell a lie – those muppets in the tubedrivers union with the thug at the helm.
    Firemen have protected a cushy number for a long time. The last time they went on strike saw the Armed Forces doing just about as good a job with less resources, less hassle and a far better attitude to change and flexibility. The firefighters will be their own undoing.

chewkw
    Free Member

I say scrap all pension in public sector in order to be fair to all.

If anyone wants to have a pension then just contribute to his/her own private pension fund or saving. Eat less, starve a bit and enjoy less.

The state really needs to tax less …

🙄

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

You would think that they were the only ones who had to change their working conditions and pension arrangements.

Wait, don’t tell me………..we’re all in this together – right ?

Bankers, who through their own personal greed, incompetence, and live for today cavalier attitude, caused the worse economic mess for eighty years, are bearing the brunt of the sacrifices which are being made today ?

The firefighters will be their own undoing.

A bit like those “muppets in the tubedrivers union” you mentioned ?

Northwind

TooTall – Member

Nope. Where does the mentality come from, that if one person has been shat on it’s OK to shit on everyone else? Someone else was unable to defend themselves, or caved in, therefore everyone else should? Hell with that. The saddest thing about the race to the bottom is how enthusiastic people are about achieving first place.

TooTall
    Free Member

Whats the forces pension like?

Getting worse – less for longer served.

It isn’t about a race to the bottom. It is about looking at a larger older population and realising that the good old days cannot perpetuate. I don’t think MPs earn anything close to what they pay, but the public sector has managed to cling on to fairly gold plated pensions for far longer than most others.

I come from a family that has never had the ability to strike in any job. Somehow we all have done OK so far.

zokes
    Free Member

It isn’t about a race to the bottom.

But your justification was that everyone else is having their conditions cut so the fire service should too.

That’s pretty much the textbook definition of a race to to bottom in the current context.

Try again.

I come from a family that has never had the ability to strike in any job.

Well, that’s unfortunate for you. But I’m not sure what bearing it has on the current topic

RichPenny
    Free Member

Where does the mentality come from, that if one person has been shat on it’s OK to shit on everyone else?

IMO it comes from people who want to validate their own successes based on the situation of other people. Maybe it’s a self esteem thing. I find the “it’s my taxes” argument a bit weak too, since the private sector generally has an impact on your income too.

sadexpunk

for those that think we have enough time for second jobs….. thats probably true, theres a 3 or 4 day break where we can potentially do other stuff, rather than just a weekend break.
    personally, i need a second job, we’re spending more than we earn to the tune of £300 per month, and thats without tv packages, phone contracts etc!! im even down to one bike now, and about to move into a smaller place in an attempt to stop the money haemorrhaging (sp). as has been mentioned already, the moneys not great.

but….. i dont think i could physically do another job. our brigade have implemented a new shift system where i do either 96 or 120 hrs at a time, covering all shouts in that spell. believe me, when i get back i need those 3 or 4 days off!
    the talk is that other brigades will be following suit soon as its a great money saver for them. 2 watches doing the work of 4, for a bit extra pay.

sorry, t’was off on a bit of a tangent to the pension subject but just the same as someone in a ‘regular job’ working their weekend. yes its possible, but would you want to/be capable of doing? wheres the quality of life? :-/

Drac

our brigade have implemented a new shift system where i do either 96 or 120 hrs at a time, covering all shouts in that spell

What’s the shift pattern it sounds awful? What’s your average number of call outs?

sadexpunk

we do a 4/4, 4/4, 5/3 rotating shift pattern, the 5th day to travel to other stations in the county to provide resilience cover. we would also be expected to cover overnight at those stations. we stay the whole 4 or 5 days at a time, positive working hours are 7.30am to 6.30pm. we then stay in a ‘pod’ which is a converted house joined onto the station. we’re on alerters for the night cover and have to be out the door within 5 mins at night.

ironically, most of our callouts are at night as our station is in ‘scrotesville’, so a lot of arson callouts, sometimes as many as 6 in the night. sometimes we get quiet nights tho, theres no real pattern to it.
    not many shouts in the day really, but we do a lot of training, we’re boat rescue too, so always looking for different launch points, rescue techniques etc.

Drac

Sounds terrible but how did this go through, we abandoned on call at night about 8 years ago because it was breaking working time regulations.

totalshell

firemen, tube drivers , posties.. all union dominated tradionally male white workforce that has failed to move with the times. millions are accepting longer working hours / less pay/ no pay rises/ less generous pension schemes/ later retirement.

why? not because the tories says so but because the buffons Blair and Brown blew every penny the country had and will have for the foreseeable future.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 219 total)

The topic ‘Firefighters to strike in september, over working hours’ is closed to new replies.