Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Fire XC Pros- alternatives?
  • MrSalmon
    Free Member

For the last couple of years I’ve used XC Pros year-round, for everything. I’ve no complaints but would like to try something different, but comparable, just for it’s own sake really. Recommendations?

My first ‘what tyre’ thread!

chakaping
    Free Member

Conti Mountain King 2.2 might be the sort of thing you’re looking for.

Very light, pretty fast rolling and good in most situations. UST and Protection versions have the good compound I believe.

Kenda Nevegal 2.1s (DTC rear, Stick-E front) are also good light (but slightly chunkier) all-rounders.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I had Nevegal/Blue Groove before but I don’t think I’d want to go back to them- the XC Pros felt so much faster! Never tried Contis so maybe I’ll give ’em a go.

jim
    Free Member

2.1/62a Maxxis ADvantages are good.

clubber
    Free Member

Conti Verts or explorers for me – roll well and provide reliable grip in all conditions – the big caveat though is that if you’re a rider who doesn’t like his wheels moving under him then avoid – they’re quite drifty but in a very predictable way. That suits me (probably because I started mtbing on very muddy trails so I’m used to my wheels drifting all the time) but lots of people hate that feeling.

RooleyMoor
    Free Member

took me 90 minutes last night to get my fire xc pro off the rim. then pinched the tube putting it back on again. Not impressed.

smiffy

I’d never imagine a conti as a replacement for a Panaracer. Contis very round and racey, Panas square and shouldery. XCPros start digging in when Contis have already let go was my experience here in South/Mid Wales. Some like the progressive nature of Contis as you lean them over, but they’re not like an XCPro.

I have Jones ACX on the front as a Panaracer replacement, but find them draggier than XCPro on the rear, so I’m using near-slick XCPros on the back. I don’t think the rear tyre is anything like as important as the front, I tend to use old, part-worns on the back. Last year I used a French supermarket tyre on the back; I skipped it in October but for 8 Euros it did me fine.

zangolin
    Free Member

RooleyMoor – Member

took me 90 minutes last night to get my fire xc pro off the rim. then pinched the tube putting it back on again. Not impressed.
    Try a drop of fairy liquid on your finger then run round the tyre bead. Should help next time.

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

Only ever used a Fire XC Pro on the back and i changed it to a Vert pro as i was running one on the front. I found that the Vert had slightly less grip than the Fire XC but the Vert did roll faster.

RooleyMoor
    Free Member

zangolin – Member

RooleyMoor – Member

Try a drop of fairy liquid on your finger then run round the tyre bead. Should help next time.

I couldn’t even get the tyre levers under the bead!

wors

what rims have you got rooley moor? i have xm 719 rims and can put pros on by hand!

RooleyMoor
    Free Member

Wors – They’re Sun CR18’s. I had problems with some conti explorers 2.1 kevlar beaded tyres too..

The tyres went on ok, but I did have tubes that were designed for the wider tyres… that may be one of the reasons.

franki
    Free Member

Bonty ACX 2.2s are pretty cheap and a good all-rounder. I much prefer them to Fire XCs – especially in muddier conditions. Not very exciting or fashionable maybe, but I keep coming back to these as they work well for me.

Got some Conti Mountain King 2.2s on the SS, they roll really fast, but don’t dig in too well.

Trying 2.1 ADvantages on my HT. Seem great so far, but not had much use yet. Seem to offer near Highroller type traction but without the excessive drag.

Sod all – the Fire XC is probably as good an all round tyre as you’ll find. Yes, there’ll be better specifics out there, but for all round they can’t be beat IMO

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Currently liking the sound of ADvantages from all the suggestions so far- or another set of Fire XCs (in a different color!)

iainc

I would stick with the Fire xc’s if you like them. I was out for first ride with ‘summer tyres’ (xc pro) rather than ‘winter tyres’ (trailrakers) last night…..yipee -)

hora
    Free Member

Swampthings

chakaping
    Free Member

Bonty Mud-X 2.0 is a good (slim-ish) all-round option too.

Smiffy – I always thought XC Pros had a round-ish profile – partly why I liked MKs when I made the switch.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Highrollers or advantages if you like the shouldery-ness of the XCs. I’ve never got on with Contis as I corner by just throwing the bike over, Contis just wash straight out, no ‘predicatble drift’, just wash right out and I’m on the deck. Maxxis though are the shizzle. Kenda OK but silly thin sidewalls necessitates stoopid high pressures.

Most Maxxis tyres are appreciably better permormers than XCs IME, and I’m one of those that like XCs a good deal.

kiwi_stu
    Free Member

I use to like Conti Speed Kings until I tried Specialized Sauserwind S-Works 2 Bliss tyres. Running them tubeless with great results. Cheap too.

nicko74

Second franki’s post here – I had Fire XC Pro’s, until they started ripping the valves off my inner tubes under braking. At that point I had to switch to something else so ended up with Bonty ACXs because they were there. And personally I’ve found them to be great – I was surprised at the difference in my riding (clearing cambers etc seemed much easier, for starters), they roll well, don’t suffer unduly from pinches and aren’t too difficult to get on or off the rim. I wouldn’t go back!
    They come up a little smaller than expected, so 2.2s are a good size for me.

andrew
    Free Member

I’ve loved Fire XC Pros; I’m currently using Nevegals which are ok. I’m also one of those who have always found Contis a bugger to get on. My next set will probably be another pair of XC Pros. Having said that I’ve got happy memories of Intense System 4 XC and might consider them again – certainly worth a look.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

until they started ripping the valves off my inner tubes under braking.

I had a set that were especially slack beaded and started doing that. dab of talc on the innertubes sorted it right out. In fact I tend to talc all my innertubes these days, makes installation and removal a breeze.

nicko74

adh – good point, and one that I tried at the time. I think it helped a little – and I put extra protection round all the valves on the inner – but it didn’t solve it. And having gone to Bonty ACXs, I’ve no intention of going back! 🙂

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Fire XC Pros- alternatives?’ is closed to new replies.