Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 281 total)
  • Fire up the Fergie, time to build my new studio.
  • AlexSimon

wow – all that glass makes the interior really airy.

Did you say the glass came from the council? If so which department, I’ve tried ringing a few in my local council (Cheshire East) and noby has any clue where they dispose of things like this.

franksinatra

to be honest you will probably get away with not using it, especially if shed interior is unheated and reasonably well ventilated

Unheated? Tis is Mcmoonter, king of the stoves and firewood.

piemonster

At the very least the Duke of Fife stove lord

footflaps

Nice progress. Keep the updates coming!

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Lunchtime update, I made one third of the benches that will line the west half of the building.

Unheated was never an option.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

That’s the last of the OSB and the insulation in place so I can finish the floor tomorrow. The new stove arrives on Wednesday, so the race is on. It can’t come soon enough as the snow is back.

The glass? I got lucky, I just happened to see it in a corner of the council depot. I doubt someone on a council switchboard would know who to ask.

There was a guy on here who cleaned bus shelters and had a personal stash of glass.

Kevevs
    Free Member

Wow! That’s ace. jealous much?!

mcmoonter
    Free Member

My brother came over this morning and gave me a hand to finish the floor. It’s a much easier job with two pairs of hands. I loosely built the other two benches, to tops aren’t nailed in place as I need to insulate and clad the walls behind them.

I found some glass that should work to insert in the door. The stove should be here tomorrow if the weather doesn’t get any worse. I’ve still got to sort out the eaves and get the gutters up.

Will it ever be dry / warm enough to paint the exterior?

footflaps

Very impressive.

Is that a table saw you’ve got there?

boblo
    Free Member

‘Kin ‘ell McMoo, I’ve put 4 new kitchen cupboards up today whilst you’ve done all that. No one likes a show off you know! 🙂

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Is that a table saw you’ve got there?

It’s an elu flip saw, it’s pretty handy but it doesn’t cut much more than an inch deep which is a compromise.

Boblo, it’s taken me all day, it’s a means to an end. I can’t wait to start painting in it.

peterfile
    Free Member

It’s a much easier job with two pairs of hands.

Sorry! 😳

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Peterfile, there will be other projects. Stay tuned.

properbikeco
    Free Member

looks ace, keep the build pics coming!

how are you going to finish off the eaves?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

how are you going to finish off the eaves?

I don’t know yet. When I positioned the lowest purlin, I aligned it with the vertical outside face of the 4×4 posts, so theoretically, with the castellations sealed with the foam strip, all I need to do is infill the gap between the top window rail and the purlin. There are one or two other wee gaps that should be easy enough to fill with the offcuts I have left over.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I only had half a day today. It was so cold I had to bite the bullet and sort out the eaves on the south side, the east wind was swirling around the trees bring sleet with it. It made a huge difference with the gap closed.

I found a sheet of heavy duty laminated glass, just about the perfect size to build a door around. I was careful setting up the saw but somehow I over cut the rebates by a couple of mm. It will be fine, but I’d like to have cut it right first time.

I got a call from the carrier to say my stove will arrive on Friday. I will sort out some pipe and one of those silicon roof gaskets and if the weather stays fair over the weekend I will try and get it in and running.

Stoner
    Free Member

Looking good.
    For flashings I used these guys recently and they seemed allright for mail order service.

http://fluesystems.com/shop/V-Seal_AD_Series_Flashings.html

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Cheers Stoner, more proof that STW is more efficient than Google. 😀

teasel
    Free Member

Just a quick bit of beware info – not necessarily those seals in particular, but something very similar was used on a friends chimney and suffered leaks where it raised slightly due to the seam on the twin-wall. Here’s a pic…

As you can see, it’s quite a small gap but enough to let in quite a large amount of water over time. Easily fixed with some of that Plumba Flue sealant or similar.

Edit : Nice build BTW.

Bunnyhop

It’s a shame I’m not nearer, otherwise, I’d have sewn the ‘all important draught excluder sausage’ for the door 🙂

footflaps

We should arrange a STW Northern meet at one of mcmoonter’s palaces…

mcmoonter
    Free Member

If you a in the area Footflaps, drop in.

Bunnyhop, I think the sausage may be more of a worm, the tolerances on the new door are small.

I finished the door, and got the top half glazed, I was going to board the bottom panel when a random search found a pane almost the right size in the byre. Miraculously I found a glass cutter and cut it to fit. The hinges look a bit odd but they do the job well.

I finished off the eaves too, so everything is in place for the stove arrival tomorrow.

I ordered a flue gasket last night without measuring the roof profile castellations. The flue is a bit wider than the valley, so there could be a problem. I should have phoned first. Bummer.

Stoner
    Free Member

The gasket should form across the ridges OK. Plenty of silicone required. Did you get the gasket fitting kit too with the self tapping sealing screws?

Depending on dimensions you may want to centralise the flue to a ridge as opposed to a valley.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

The gasket should form across the ridges OK. Plenty of silicone required. Did you get the gasket fitting kit too with the self tapping sealing screws?

Yes I bought the kit too. I ordered it first class, it should be here tomorrow.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Door fit is so tight I can’t get the extension cable through the gap.

WillH

The ridges on the two sections of roof are not parallel… 😈 I only point this out as a way of assuaging my intense jealousy towards you for having the skill to knock this together in what seems like a matter of days. It’d take me months to build something like this, except it’d be much shonkier when finished.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

It taunts me every time I see it. I put them on as darkness was falling and I was freezing. The curse is that I pop rivited the join and it would be a faff to to sort it. Maybe when the better weather comes I’ll be more motivated to sort it out.

EDIT I think it is just one or two sheets above the door, even so it needs fixing.

properbikeco
    Free Member

wee bit of advice with the door area – get a foot mat or some king of covering down, as the traffic at the door area is likely to make the floor boards swell there, with obvious consequences for opening the door

Have seen this many times with these kinds of structure

AlexSimon

Looking superb!

footflaps

That is very impressive!

Bunnyhop

Has snow been hampering progress today?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

We didn’t have much snow but the easterly wind was bone chilling. It was dry early morning so I finally got the ridge on and sealed. I dug in a couple of pallets to set the logs on when the stove delivery driver phoned to say he was on his way.

The stove itself is a lot lighter than my others, it’s not surprising as it cost about a quarter the price, but it should be efficient enough for a shed stove.

I had to buy some new stove pipe from the merchants. The guy behind the counter instantly dismissed my installation idea and calculated the costs and availability of what I’d need. The total came to over £800. 😯

That was a non starter, so we discussed what each component on his list actually did. I figured I could do much the same with a sleeve of eight inch pipe I have at home, a couple of his wall brackets and a rain shedding pipe collar. So I left with a considerably smaller bill and the salesman shaking his head though he couldn’t argue with the merits of my solution.

It was too cold by the time I got back, to install it so hopefully tomorrow I will give it a go. I have some cuttings of profile sheeting so I can have a dry run. The silicon gasket arrived too. It looks well up to the job.

somafunk

Very nice looking stove mcmoonter, and i’m suitably impressed wi your shed – does this mean we will we see a flurry of activity on the painting front this year?, a new perspective perhaps?, or will it be a case of a rocking chair on the porch in our two day summer wi a glass of wine and a sketchbook in hand. 😀

D’ya need any bends or extensions for your stove?, i have these below left over/spare from when i fitted mine, one 6″ bore x 45 dg bend and two 6″ bore x 3″/75mm extensions. Your for the price of postage if they’re any good to you. Or anyone else can have them for postage for that matter.

thekingisdead
    Free Member

Does anyone else feel woefully inadequate on the man point scale? Think I need to go play with some tools.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

It’s a working space, so I am certainly going to get painting in it. I’ve enjoyed every second and every challenge in it’s construction, I feel that has laid the perfect karmic foundation for this painter’s studio.

I think I’m good for pipe just now thanks.

Edit

Does anyone else feel woefully inadequate on the man point scale? Think I need to go play with some tools.

I think any with a bit of patience, a spirit level, some G clamps, a saw, hammer and nails anyone could make something comparable. I’m well aware how fortunate I am to have the space to build on, but you don’t need a lot of space to make a durable shed than fulfills your needs.

ontor
    Free Member

Just poor.

thekingisdead
    Free Member

Just poor.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

There’s not a lot to show for my afternoon’s work, but it all involved careful measuring and cutting around the roof joists. It all insulated behind and it now gives me something solid to bolt the stove flue pipe brackets to.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Fantastic. Definitely need to get a STW meet there once it’s finished.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I lined the and insulated the lower potion of the gable this morning. Then set to making some flue brackets for the stove. The white eight inch section of pipe will project through the roof, and the last section of pipe will be joined inside it. So tomorrow if the weather stays dry, I will cut the hole, I will need to make up a supporting stay for the flue above the roof line, get it all sealed up, then hopefully the thing will vent well and I can at last get some heat.

Any views of cowls on the top of flues? Will I need one?

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 281 total)

The topic ‘Fire up the Fergie, time to build my new studio.’ is closed to new replies.