Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Fire TV?
  • Kryton57

What am I missing?  We have the domestic catch up apps (player etc) via Sky’s basic package, and Amazon Prime content coming in via an Xbox One.

Will Fire TV give us anything else worth paying the £40 for, also considering it would occupying the HDMI port the Xbox currently uses…?

Emphasis is on saving money, but I suspect it doesn’t?  Its £40 more for what we already have?

Drac

It’s a steaming device for Prime Video so unless you can’t get in on your Xbox then just use that.

molgrips
    Free Member

It does loads more than Prime video.  It does iPlayer and Netflix and basically everything else as far as I can tell.  I only use those three though so I wouldn’t know otherwise.

It’s no different to what we have on our smart TV though – I only have it for travelling.

rene59
    Free Member

Fire TV sticks are down to £25 for Prime day. Got one yesterday.

thepodge
    Free Member

I imagine it does just what the xbox does just its simpler. Having said that I’m not a fan of the user interface of my Fire stick, I find it has too many options.

davy-g
    Free Member

you can also Load KODI on to the firestick…

Drac

It does loads more than Prime video.  It does iPlayer and Netflix and basically everything else as far as I can tell.  I only use those three though so I wouldn’t know otherwise.

True.

molgrips
    Free Member

UI is ok for me if a little slow.  But really, it looks and feels like £25’s worth.  If you haven’t got smart TV features any other way then it’s brilliant though.

CheesybeanZ

Is Kodi still a thing ? Ours seems to be useless .

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Is Kodi still a thing ? Ours seems to be useless .

FireMC is the new Kodi. There’s always a ‘thing’….

thepodge
    Free Member

Looks like FireMC is just a Kodi build. I got bored of Kodi being unreliable and long winded. Kodi > search > select program > select episode > trawl streams > select supplier > wait for 5-10 suppliers to say stream not available > watch poor quality program for 2 minutes… Repeat.

Might be worth looking what you actually use on your Sky basic package, we saved a bundle by going to NowTV, which you could run as well as Prime and all the free to watch stuff off a Roku stick freeing up a HDMI slot

deadkenny
    Free Member

There are a lot of apps you can install and more you can sideload (Kodi etc), though it’s a bit walled into Amazon’s garden.

The iPlayer etc stuff, yeah I’ve got on Sky, though I’m considering ditching Sky. Prime stuff I occasionally use but not much. I might use more without Sky. Main thing I use is Plex to stream from my NAS. My smart TV has Plex app also, but the “smart” bit of the TV is shite, buggy, and outdated. I get reliable 5.1 over HDMI via Fire TV unlike from the smart TV stuff.

Kodi for dodgy stuff with little effort has been knobbled a bit I think, but Kodi does way more than that. It was intended as a home theatre media player.

I’ve found it’s a good quality audio streamer too. Better than my old Squeezebox hooked up to the amp. Got the Fire TV (box version) plugged into the amp direct and that feeds the video to the TV, and audio straight to the amp. For music it means using the TV as interface for selecting audio, or you can use the smartphone app to control it. I haven’t tried voice commands. You’ve then got Amazon music (there’s a Prime element of that), Spotify and whatever else, and my usual streaming from my NAS (I prefer Plex again as it does gapless playback, though I think I have to use the Plex extension in Kodi as the Amazon Plex app doesn’t do it).

zzjabzz
    Free Member

I think Kodi is pretty much dead for its ‘free’ content. There’s plenty of standalone .apks that do similar things to Kodi addons that can be sideloaded onto a Firestick I believe…

Kryton57

Ok, I have NowTV already, and with Prime coming through the Xbox I really don’t need any more channels.

Its a no than, thanks for the input.

stevextc
    Free Member

I don’t have any modern TV’s so this for me works great… despite not watching any live TV I’ve got 3 of these which gives a consistent interface to TV’s we have for Prime and Netflix.

Well worth the £40 (x3)… for me.

It’s no different to what we have on our smart TV though – I only have it for travelling.

and I also use for travelling…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Fire TV?’ is closed to new replies.