• This topic has 52 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by kilo.
Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Fire brigade resources
  • mooman
    Free Member

Northwind

Subscriber
    mooman

and like teachers – complain how bad their job is when others see it as a cushy number.

When you’re given a choice between listening to the people who do the job, and the people who have no idea what the job’s actually like, I reckon you should listen to the people who have a clue personally

I have ridden with quite a number of former and current fire fighters. And feel very confident of having a very good idea what the job is like.
    The problem with listening to certain people describing their jobs (not just fire fighters) is that they will try to convince you their job is the most important, most difficult, and worse paid than any other job …

kilo

So have you got some evidence to back up
    “The fire service has changed lots, and so has the majority of the publics view towards them too.” then?

bruneep

Again, out of idle curiosity, what defines a ‘major’ incident as opposed to a ‘minor’ one?

Defining a major incident

A major incident can be defined as any emergency that requires the implementation of special arrangements by one or more of the Emergency Services, the NHS or local Authority for:

The initial treatment, rescue and transport of a large number of casualties.
    The involvement, either directly or indirectly, of large numbers of people.
    The handling of a large number of enquires likely to be generated, both from the public and the news media, usually to the Police.
    The need for large scale combined resources of the emergency services.
    The mobilisation and organisation of the emergency services and supporting organisations, e.g. local authority, to cater for the threat of death, serious injury or homelessness to a large number of people.
    Overall coordination of major incidents, other than those that are purely fire related, will usually be the responsibility of the Police

Northwind

mooman

I have ridden with quite a number of former and current fire fighters. And feel very confident of having a very good idea what the job is like.

Righto, mr expert, go and put out a fire then.

pondo

And feel very confident of having a very good idea what the job is like.

I’m confident that your confidence is misplaced.

pjm84
    Free Member

I was the “architect” for a JCC back in 2002. That new building didn’t half upset the unions. The kitchen facility was a masterpiece in diplomacy. (3 fridges / 2 sinks and 2 microwaves _ no emergency service would share a fridge / one, cant recall but I think it was the Police, wouldn’t share a sink or microwave with the others).

That said I have the uppermost respect for the guys on the ground doing the job. Something I thought about doing as a career change after leaving the RMR.

sootyandjim
    Free Member

go and put out a fire then

Been there, done that.

In a previous career I was awarded a QCB for rescuing aircrew from a burning helicopter in Northern Ireland.

I was also later ‘volunteered’ for Op Fresco.

As for my comments earlier in the thread, that was purely a bit of inter-emergency service banter (hence later describing myself as a “doctor helper/backside wiper”). There are some delicate flowers around these parts.

mooman
    Free Member

Northwind

Subscriber
    mooman

Righto, mr expert, go and put out a fire then.

Any fire? if you feel that blowing out a lighted match qualifies me as a firefighter then I guess I really dont have too good an idea.

Just to clarify; I am not knocking firefighters. They are doing exactly as they are employed to do. Best of luck to them.

kilo

So no evidence then mooman?

qwerty
    Free Member

no emergency service would share a fridge

Maybe they all had differing Standard Operating Procedures pertaining to said fridge rendering it unusable across the services (I kid you not!!!).

mooman
    Free Member

kilo

Subscriber
    So no evidence then mooman?

Evidence of me putting out a fire? I can assure you I have put out multiple fires during my younger years. I am sure there are lots of photographic evidence of me blowing out candles on birthday cakes in my parents family album.
    But I know full well your just Trolling as usual ..

raybanwomble
    Free Member

I think it is inevitable the fire service will have to change and be seen as paying fire fighters to actually be working during their shift. Hasn`t there been discussions about merging them to cover ambulance/paramedic crews too?

That’s it, we need to start some more wars so that squaddies are doing what they are paid to do!

Bloody layabouts.

kilo

Yes you came out with the assertion, failed to provide any evidence to back it up and I’m trolling. So once again have you any evidence that the majority of the public’s attitude towards fire fighters has changed?

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Fire brigade resources’ is closed to new replies.