Finned pads….. Honestly betterer?

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Finned pads….. Honestly betterer?
  • jkomo

Most of your riding is in the Alps!!!!

Git

What pads do M8000 XT come with as standard? Had my Brawnson for 15 months now, still on original finned pads, I’ll be replacing them like for like with that kind of performance tbh.

Edit – resin as standard according to shimano site….

stevemtb

Not directly about finned pads but I’m running the Uber radiated rotors.

Got two 203mm ones and stuck one on the front of my e-bike and one on the front of my G160 (180 standard rotor on the rear). Trip to the Alps saw the rear on the G160 touching the bar a good few times, Pila -> Aosta the last run of the day was pretty much rear brake-less.

Switched the two to the G160 for a Spanish Sierra Nevada trip and had brakes all day every day. I’m fairly heavy and brake way too much.

Definitely believe that anything to get the heat away from the brakes has to be a good thing.

One of my mates was running the finned pads for multiple Spanish trips, he switched back as he thought he was changing too often due to less pad material and no benefit to the feel of the brakes, however, he’s fairly light and hardly ever touches the brakes!

philjunior

Hmmm. Just been thinking about this again, and I was sure I’d heard claims of temperature reduction. It may just be that it’s harder to measure than rotor surface temperature and braking force, but looking at this:

https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/technologies/component/details/ice-technologies.html

Then although claims are made for increased durability of the ice-tech pads/rotors (which actually match my experience with them), no temperature reduction claims are made for the finned pads.

Still I reckon the increased durability is down to the lower temps as it’s the same description of the pad material.

Premier Icon welshfarmer
    Subscriber

What pads do M8000 XT come with as standard? Had my Brawnson for 15 months now, still on original finned pads, I’ll be replacing them like for like with that kind of performance tbh.

Edit – resin as standard according to shimano site….

Hmm, I bought a brand new set of XT brakes complete with finned pads to go on my XC bike and they lasted precisely 3/4 of a lap around Brechfa Forest in winter. Those were definitely resin. Either SC specify a different type or you only ride in the bone dry 🙂

West of Scotland = bone dry? Don’t be daft lad!

Premier Icon iainc
    Subscriber

2017 and 2018 XT8000s on 3 bikes here, all came with non finned pads. Pads are I’m pretty sure resin and have lasted well in similarly bone dry conditions to nobeer….

alpin

Well I’m back from my for week jaunt through Tuscany and Trentino.

A few days riding at an old volcano, Amiata, two days shuttling in Massa Marittima, a day in a bike park in the northern Appennines and two days bombing Canazei and Kronplatz.

All but the last two spots had runs between 250m to 550m, so not a real test of the heat dissipation qualities of the non-finned pads.

However, over 6000m descending at Canazei and almost 9000m at Kronplatz in a day with non-stop runs between 600m – 1300m was.

Can’t say there was any noticeable lack of performance using the cheapo non-finned pads.

I’ll maybe look at Uber pads next time, just for the cool factor, but in reality there ain’t much in it.

sofaboy73

I’ve never used them when in the alps and never had any issues. 180 ice tech rotors front and rear with shimano sintered pads and never had an issue on saints – at 15 stone with a tendency to brake badly when I’m tired I’d of thought it would of showed up any weaknesses but it hasn’t

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.