Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Finding Time – Riding every moment life gives you
  • stwhannah

It’s definitely dusty in here. This film from Teravail shows Steve Bate MBE and David Smith MBE talking about their friendship, and what riding means …

By stwhannah

Get the full story on our front page at:

Finding Time – Riding every moment life gives you

We need your support – Find out how you can help by clicking the link below.

charliedontsurf

I know Steve, I am his official Bum Butter supplier, and drinking buddy.

It doesn’t matter how much money is in the bank, or how old your car is, or how prestigious your job title is… we all have to deal with the same scarce and diminishing resource… time.

Steve is the expert at making time count, and we should all be a bit more Steve. Even if you are healthy there will come a time when you can’t catch another wave, or rail that berm, or can’t walk a mountain trail.

Be more Steve.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

I needed that, I really did. Thank you.

I’ve just given myself quite a serious tendon injury (I’ve torn the tendon completely away from the bone) & been given 2 options on rehab. Surgery or conservative & last night I had to give myself a talking to when anxiety got the better of me.

See, the thing is like these 2 guys (& many others here I suspect) riding is more than just riding a bike. It’s all those impossible things that we can’t share with others who’ve never felt it. When David talks of an out of body experience we all share with him that feeling. It’s difficult to describe but WE KNOW what he means & I NEED that in my life to feel me & any enforced time away, away from that feeling is hard to bear.

I’m facing a long layoff now (3-4 mths) but I will ride again, I’ve that to look forward to & it will be that knowledge that will get me there. But as dark as my immediate future might appear it’s nothing compared to what these 2 brave friends are facing. Thank you guys for giving me some much needed perspective, lifting me up & thank you for sharing your love of riding & of each other.

Chapeau boys & happy, long & dry trails to you both.

matt_outandabout

Blimey. Dusty innit.

…there’s just moments in the deep darkness where you see the beauty of life…

The only time I can escape death, hospitals, all this stuff is the moment I clip in. When I clip into the bike, I am cancer free, I’m no longer paralysed

stanley

I have so much respect for these two. Steve is quite clearly a machine! And Dave… wow!
    To keep such a positive spirit during such unwanted challenges is amazing. I know that day-to-day life will be difficult for these guys, and others, but no mention of it… just positive drive in the right direction.

I’ve just ordered my Rider Resilience T-shirt and beanie. Hope to get more involved with stuff like this over the coming months.

Also, if anyone ever wants/needs a chat or help… I’ll try my best 🙂

DrT
    Free Member

Nice video. Really struck a chord with my own love of cycling and difficulty walking.

stwhannah

Steve is still going on the HT550, slow going in places! https://www.instagram.com/p/CmIphRRIZgi/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

weeksy

I don’t know how cold it is there, but if it’s colder than down south, then he’s a brave brave boy !

bedmaker

I’ve been following his progress just wondering how on earth its possible to cover so much ground that fast on a studded fatty, loaded with winter gear…
    Yesterday was clearly a tough one, took him almost all day to get down the bealach horn descent, about 500M over 5K.
    From his insta, it looks like simply deep snow as opposed to any other issue.

I don’t know how cold it is there, but if it’s colder than down south, then he’s a brave brave boy !

Well it was -6.5 at teatime here at sea level the other night. He camped a bit further north at around 450M just below Bealach Horn….

I’m hoping to take a spin into Affric in a few days and say hello as he passes.

Posted 24 minutes ago

stwhannah

Sad news from Steve, frostbitten out of his attempt!
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CmJtDR4MJui/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

matt_outandabout

Amazing….

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.