Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Finding people to ride with
  • breninbeener

Ive met Trimix and he is a thoroughly nice man!

benp1

He certainly is, he gave me a guided tour of his home turf when I happened to be down there!

The problem I find is timing, I have a good mate who I ride with but it’s harder and harder to get out these days. Evenings are our only option and I like to ride from home. At it’s peak it’s once a week but it probably averages out to be once every 3 weeks over the course of the year

andrewh
    Free Member

Also, “Hi, I’ve got nobody to ride with, can I tag along with you” seems a bit needy. Plus it puts them in an awkward situation if they want to ride at their own pace.

I do that. Possibly a bit more subtle than that. Pick a smallish group when they are stopped, pull over and ask for route advice, more often than not the reply is ‘we’re going to do this, want to come with us?’. Helps if you are reasonably quick, much easier to be polite if you are the fastest and they aren’t waiting for you, works for me on the climbing and fast singletrack stuff, much less so on the scary steep stuff where I tend to mince very slowly but usually the folks who can leave me for dead in the techy stuff are the folks who like to regroup for a chat at the bottom, which is why they were stationary having a chat when I found them….

Reverse also works, on your local stuff anyway, pick some lost looking people, ask if they are lost and if so offer to show them around.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    tomaso
    Free Member

I moved to Lancaster 12 years ago and knew very few people. Joined a club, the Bogtrotters and met Simon Barnes who along with others showed me round the Lakes and Dales. Along the way way I’ve made lots of friends. It’s not prefect but nothing is and you have to appreciate the differences in life. I mostly ride on Wednesday night rides with a great bunch of lads. Was out last night and we got caught in fog at 700m and rode tight to keep together until we were out of the cloud.

When I started Uni I joined the MTB club and made friends for life and memories of daft rides that will stay with me til I die.

Join a club is my suggestion. Get involved and enjoy group riding and being social.

witterings
    Free Member

Also, “Hi, I’ve got nobody to ride with, can I tag along with you” seems a bit needy.

I go and find a tree so I’m obscured from view where I know people will cycle past and as they do I pull out and go hell for leather joining them and heading up to the lead rider and ask as above.

I usually find this works best wearing a batman cape and Dracula fangs with blood running down your cheek, a machete strapped across your chest and a slightly vacant lopsided look and a tick thrown in as well … never had one say no to date but can’t understand why they don’t ask me again????

Marin
    Free Member

That’s a first for me qtip helping someone with technology. Maybe see you on a ride been bit busy of late with stuff and trips but should be back in N Wales soon.

tomaso
    Free Member

Ask PostieRich for tips on being able to invite anyone on a ride and also invite himself on anyone’s ride. He is the master of cheek and generosity when it comes to rides.

grarea
    Free Member

This is a good thread.

I never thought about it before.

I guess I always knew people who wanted to ride as well.

I also am very happy to go out on my own anyway.

I think I just talk about it wherever I am.

Work, out with friends etc and start chatting about it with people you like.

Before you know it you are meeting up for a ride.

I started back again recently, out on my own, exploring and strengthening up.

Chatting about it at work, and have hit lucky, going most weeks with a guy who is very like minded.

There are now others at work who are also interested in tagging along.

I agree, I also think that is the hardest part (finding like minded people) . Some people want to just power along on the flats, some just love trails, some like to explore and muck about…….

kcal

in various riding groups and still find it hard to initiate a “let’s ride” chat, hence often just head out on my own for an explore or wander…

russyh
    Free Member

I’m always looking for people to ride with in FOD tomorrow at 8:30, if anyone is looking for someone to ride with?  Think it’s only me and my mate out (late 30’s/40’s) ride off piste stuff probably around 18 miles stop for a cake halfway round or at the end.

supernova

Well I had a good time with Trimix and co.

They’re a bit above my skill level, but I think I just about managed to keep up.

Recommended company for riding!

Trimix
    Free Member

Yup, that was a bloody good day out, lets do it again soon.  I’m still giggling about that drop-undercut thing I did by accident.  Such an adrenaline shot, a little bit of wee came out.

Not sure about you just keeping up, I was maxed out at the end.  Each time it went uphill you started to pull away.  We only had you on the downhills because we are from the more gentle Chilterns, so we found the steep bits a novelty and forgot to brake 🙂

If you fancy exploring the Chilterns let me know, we can show you our favorite bits in return for the cool stuff you showed us.

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Finding people to ride with’ is closed to new replies.