Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Finding duplicate photos
  • nbt

Need a tool to find duplicate photos, mostly stuff that’s been uploaded to multiple online sites like Google Photos PLUS Google Drive PLUS Dropbox. Ihae the apps which sync dropbox and google drive to my home PC (windows 10) so need a tool which can compare the local folders and identiofy the duplicates. What do you recommend?

nbt

Hopeful bump?

leffeboy

Nothing free I’m afraid but we had 4TB of stuff to sort out at work when combining all our photo ‘stores’.  I ended up buying this:

Duplicate Cleaner – Remove duplicate files

It works well but you need to read the instructions as it is quite powerful so can be a bit confusing.  It was money very well spent

scaredypants

I’ve used a dedup programme years ago – no idea of the name but it was free.  Didn’t fully trust it as I recall, so kept a copy of everything and just ran it on a single folder with everything copied into it.  Seemed to work just fine but as part of that process I decided that I could’ve just used windows:

Will they all have their original names ?

at the risk of sounding all “top-tips” – simply copy/paste all into a single folder and windows should offer you some options to deal with apparent duplication ?

I’ve renamed mine since so wouldn’t work for me now

Kahurangi

I did a really noddy method, may or may not be the slightest bit helpful depending on your files and exactly how they are arranged.

Browse to directory above the folders concerned or move folders to adjacent locations.
    Search for *jpg (etc.)
    Turn on Folder Name column within Windows Explorer, so that you can see and compare “PIC123.jpg” in the “Dropbox Pics” folder against the duplicate in alternative locations.
    Sort by file name or file size, date….
    Should be pretty easy to spot sequential duplicates
    ….
    Profit?

nbt

Just as an update and in case someone else is doing any searches, a couple of people have (independently of each other) suggested Auslogics Duplicate File Finder, so I’ll be downloading and trying that later

scotroutes

I’ve still not got my head around the Google Drive Vs Photos split that happened. I was tempted just to delete all the photos I have on Drive (Google says they are all “safe” in Photos) but am concerned that will delete them off my home storage too.

I’m certainly interested in the de-duplication tool if it helps with that too.

imn

I use Double Killer for some simple duplicate checking on Windows machine. It’s free and small plus non-installing, so easy to try. Not sure how it would cope with your online libraries, but if there is some local mapping you should be able to add them to the search group.

Cougar

I’m in the same boat. Years of multiple cameras and multiple computers, my photo collection is a tip.

Finding the same filenames is not de-dupe though. It’s quite possible to have the same photo with different names and different photos with the same name. What I need I think is something like Lightroom which is EXIF-aware but doesn’t cost me ten quid a month.

nbt

Auslogics Duplicate File Finder has found the same images with differnent filenames, worth trying

jca

@cougar Something like photomove may well help you. The free version will organise images into a nested directory structure based on exif date: Here…

leffeboy

It’s quite possible to have the same photo with different names and different photos with the same name

I’m fairly sure the duplicate cleaner software I linked above does that.  It even finds rotated images and similar images and is RAW aware.   You can  choose to use the metadata or not.  It’s relatively expensive at 39EUR but you can also spend hours finding a free solution that works.   It’s always a funny balance

Cougar

Something like photomove may well help you.

Ooh. That -looks- perfect. Thank you.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Finding duplicate photos’ is closed to new replies.