Find me a new trail bike!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Find me a new trail bike!
  • Help me shop!

My bike got pinched.
    Insurance are sorting me out with cash for a new one – £2500, but happy to pay less or go second hand. Or put a little of my own cash in for something special.

Old bike was a titanium Titus hard tail 29er with 140mm Pikes, Hope wheels/brakes etc

Things I liked:
    Lightweight (I hate climbing)
    Went downhill nicely – I had an XL frame with a short stem.
    Quite keen on 29″ wheels

Things I didn’t like:
    Seemed a bit “tall” – felt I was up very high

My riding:
    Most trail centres – Glentress etc, sometimes some long XC stuff, sometimes Lake District etc

I’m fine with hardtails, but won’t say no to an FS.

Bikes I’ve looked at already:
    Sonder Signal Ti and Transmitter
    Bird Zero 29
    YT Jeffsy 29 (carbon one on Sale just now)
    Used Sonder Evol on here for £1500 and very close to home (Edinburgh)

I’d like something similar spec to my old bike – Pike forks, Hope wheels etc. Not fussed about Shimano Vs SRAM. Don’t need an “Enduro” bike, would rather have less travel and weight, but do like the slacker head angle thing going on these days.

Sizewise I’m 5’11” and normally ride a large.

I know the sales are on just now so bargains abound. Anyone seen any nice trail bikes?

And if I can get an electric motor too…. Perfection!

Premier Icon orangespyderman
    Subscriber

YT Decoy if you want electricity? Jeffsy if you don’t. In typical style I have one of the older ones and the new frame seems to improve the geometry a bit and fix some issues (tall seat tube/standover) but it’s been brilliant for the type of riding you describe. Did some bike park days in the Alps on it and it was great even there where it should have been getting out of its depth.

I think the Decoy is out of my price range

There’s a used Scott Genius 920 twinloc for sale locally for £2500 Ono. Could be good for my riding

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

You could build a nice Cotic SolarisMAX and get 29 AND B-plus wheels in that budget, I’m sure. I know I did for less than that.

Premier Icon big_scot_nanny
    Subscriber

From what you describe, I would think a nice LLS hardtail would be great, and as above, cannot think of something that I crave more than a Solaris Max –

Just helped my Neighbour build his up, and by jings its lovely. Helm fork seems pretty damn good too.

Does sound like you want an LLS hardtail, quite a lot of options now – what about one of the SICK recovery jobs from On One?

Your welcome to try my Zero 29 in the Pentlands.

Might take you up on that Steven

I could get a brand new Whyte 905 and have nearly a grand in change….

I had my eye on the Whyte too but I couldn’t get a test ride and Bird were great in that respect.

Was looking at those Cannondales at Paul’s Cycles. Had a test on a fancy trigger years back a d loved it. But …

Am leaning towards going under budget and using the rest of the cash for a holiday…

Have seen a used Whyte 909 in vgc from an LBS for £1050…. Finding it hard to look past that – price seems good and they get rave reviews. Seems exactly right for what I ride

Premier Icon dukeduvet
    Subscriber

Not light but good otherwise

Marin rift zone

Don’t need an “Enduro” bike, would rather have less travel and weight, but do like the slacker head angle thing going on these days.

Sizewise I’m 5’11” and normally ride a large.

I know the sales are on just now so bargains abound. Anyone seen any nice trail bikes?

Latest Jeffsy has gone all “enduro” so possibly not quite what you are looking for. After my search for a new all-round trail bike I just bought a Canyon Neuron CF in the sales. 130 mm travel at both ends, balanced geometry and great build spec at each price level. The 9.0 SL spec in particular looks awesome value at just over £3k.

That new Nukeproof would interest me, their bikes have improved massively.

Which Nukeproof is that?

nickfrog

Latest Jeffsy has gone all “enduro” so possibly not quite what you are looking for.

A Jeffsy CF Pro looks like a trail all rounder to me. Absolute bargain at £2,800 at the moment too. OP I would buy one before the offer ends. I don’t work for them nor own one btw.

Premier Icon ta11pau1
    Subscriber

Yeah the models below the Pro Race are still trail focused with pike/fox 34 forks. The pro race has 10mm more travel at both ends and fox 36’s so more in between trail and enduro.

The CF Pro is great value.

A Jeffsy CF Pro looks like a trail all rounder to me. Absolute bargain at £2,800 at the moment too. OP I would buy one before the offer ends. I don’t work for them nor own one btw.

Yep, IF you believe an all-rounder needs to be that big and burly. It has a huge wheelbase and reach. Even most of the kool-aid magazines are saying it’s more enduro than trail in this latest iteration. Great for uplift days, but not the sort of thing I would want to be pedalling too much.

nickfrog

Yep, IF you believe an all-rounder needs to be that big and burly. It has a huge wheelbase and reach. Even most of the kool-aid magazines are saying it’s more enduro than trail in this latest iteration. Great for uplift days, but not the sort of thing I would want to be pedalling too much.

It’s not big and burly compared to a more Enduro focused bike. It’s actually quite slight and nimble based on a short test ride.
    Reach and wheelbase are not very long compared to my trail bike, a 2017 Foxy.
    I don’t know what a kool aid magazine is.
    The latest iteration uses the same frame and travel as the past 2 years I think.
    What’s wrong with pedalling it? It sounds perfect for an all rounder trail bike. How long have you riden one for?

nickfrog

Yeah the models below the Pro Race are still trail focused with pike/fox 34 forks. The pro race has 10mm more travel at both ends and fox 36’s so more in between trail and enduro.

The CF Pro is great value.

Exactly. They really haven’t all gone enduro from what I can see, light builds with just 150mm, sounds like the perfect basic trail bike that will also cope with trail centre use.

Premier Icon orangespyderman
    Subscriber

The AL Jeffsy is the old shape isn’t it ? If that bothers you, then get an AL. Don’t think it really should as a couple of the changes would be really welcome (lower seat tube and standover in particular). I believe that was done so that those who wanted a longer one could size up more easily and those that didn’t could get their usual size.

Having had a think, I decided to spend less than the budget.

Just won an eBay auction for a Bird Zero TR with 1*11 SLX, Hope wheels, dropper and 140mm XFusion forks for £650.

I think it’s all the bike I need, and I can bank the rest of the £££s

Premier Icon big_scot_nanny
    Subscriber

Sounds brilliant!

Premier Icon dukeduvet
    Subscriber

What a bargain. Why pay through the nose for the latest thing when 650 gets you that and cash to spare? Enjoy!

Premier Icon ta11pau1
    Subscriber

Blimey, someone spending less than their budget?! 😲

Sounds like a bargain you’ve got anyway!

Premier Icon superstu
    Subscriber

Great bike. Big fan of x fusion forks too (on the whole). Some bargains around if you look hard enough.

Money saved means one thing…n+1

Yeah, guess I spent around 25% of budget.
    Not very modern!

Should do what I need, and if not, I’ll get something else…

It’s not big and burly compared to a more Enduro focused bike. It’s actually quite slight and nimble based on a short test ride.

It’s all relative mate. The Jeffsy looks like a great bike, but the numbers certainly put it at the burly end of the trail spectrum. Certainly more bike than I would ever need and most probably the OP too based on his comments. There are plenty of considerably lighter, more nimble trail bikes for those who might prioritise those parameters. No I haven’t ridden one, but I have considered it and looked closely at the dimensions compared to most other mid-travel trail bikes. It’s a pretty big bike, especially if you size up with the relatively short seat tubes. At 6’1″ I was looking at the XL with close on 500 mm reach and 1250 ish wheelbase. Basically miles bigger than my 160 mm Enduro from a few years ago, which itself is borderline as a true all round trail bike. All IMHO of course. Pedal whatever does it for you.

Premier Icon ta11pau1
    Subscriber

It’s all relative mate. The Jeffsy looks like a great bike, but the numbers certainly put it at the burly end of the trail spectrum. Certainly more bike than I would ever need and most probably the OP too based on his comments. There are plenty of considerably lighter, more nimble trail bikes for those who might prioritise those parameters. No I haven’t ridden one, but I have considered it and looked closely at the dimensions compared to most other mid-travel trail bikes. It’s a pretty big bike, especially if you size up with the relatively short seat tubes. At 6’1″ I was looking at the XL with close on 500 mm reach and 1250 ish wheelbase. Basically miles bigger than my 160 mm Enduro from a few years ago, which itself is borderline as a true all round trail bike. All IMHO of course. Pedal whatever does it for you.

Hmm, I’d disagree there – it may be long, but there’s other bikes with less travel that are long bikes, an XL santa Cruz Blue has 490 reach and that’s certainly not an enduro bike. Long reach/wheelbase does not equal enduro bike. It also feels shorter when pedalling due to the steep seat angle.

The Jeffsy has a 67 HA in the high setting, 78 SA, and 140/140mm travel for the 29er. How that’s ‘Enduro’, I don’t know. All the reviews I’ve seen (including trail bike of the year) have said it climbs brilliantly.

I’m 6ft 3in and rode an XXL Pro race on a demo day, I was looking for a trail bike that would climb well, be fast on the flat, and could handle some decent rough downhill. Something equally as happy hitting BPW laps all day, or riding an all day loop in the lakes/scotland with several thousand feet of climbing and descending. I found it in the Jeffsy.

Get a ride on one, they’re bloody brilliant. And the most agile 29er I’ve ever ridden.

nickfrog

500mm reach is the same as my L Foxy which is définetely not at the burly end of the trail spectrum, so yes all relative indeed. It certainly not “gone all enduro”. The OP actually listed it LOL.

Oh well looks like I’m wrong then and the Jeffsy is some dainty, short little XC/trail bike, lol

It also feels shorter when pedalling due to the steep seat angle.

I agree and that was why I would have to go for an XL as the L is indeed too short on the effective top tube due to the 78 deg seat angle – another current fashion statement. To be honest I just don’t ride enough seriously rough stuff to make the inevitable compromise. When you say it climbs “brilliantly” it’s still a 30+ lb bike with draggy tyres.

“Oh well looks like I’m wrong then”

Maybe you are? Maybe you’re in denial that MTBing is allowed to progress and the bikes likewise?

The Zero TR 130mm hardtail that the OP has bought has a reach of ~490mm in a large. Does that stop it being a trail bike?

“I agree and that was why I would have to go for an XL as the L is indeed too short on the effective top tube due to the 78 deg seat angle – another current fashion statement.”

It isn’t rocket science that if you steepen the seat angle you can pedal up steeper inclines without wheelying. Sizing bikes by ETT makes no sense when aero is almost irrelevant when pedalling, a more upright position is better for pedalling and breathing despite what roadie lore may have you thinking.

My old XL bike had a reach of 406mm, and the new one (a Medium) is 447mm I think.
    I always felt too “high up” on the old bike, but did like the 66 degree head angle, so this new one should help me get more “in” the bike.

I think the Jeffsy is a “trail” bike. My 130mm Horsethief was.
    It would be a great buy, the sale price/spec is excellent.
    However, I just didn’t feel like spending all the money!

“My old XL bike had a reach of 406mm, and the new one (a Medium) is 447mm I think.”

Yep. You have to add 20-30mm to the reach when comparing hardtails to full-sus bikes because of how the frame tilts when it has someone on it, hence me saying the large TR is about 490mm reach.

I’m about your height and ride a medium Zero AM – great bike! Mine is slacked out further with an angleset but that’s just me being weird. The one change I’d make is longer chainstays like on the TR.

I think you’ll really like the shape of the Zero TR vs the Titus. Be prepared to clonk your pedals on things quite a bit until you get used to how much lower it is!

Maybe you are? Maybe you’re in denial that MTBing is allowed to progress and the bikes likewise?

I’m all for progression, but the latest trends are making me think twice about getting caught up in all the marketing bs. Bikes are getting ever lower, longer and slacker and the trend seems to have accelerated in the last few years – as per my geometry discussion thread.

nickfrog

Oh well looks like I’m wrong then and the Jeffsy is some dainty, short little XC/trail bike, lol

I don’t think anyone said that, did they? But I do find that people using strawman arguments like yours tend to be quite irrational and binary thinking which ties in with your “Jeffsy has gone all Enduro“ when in reality most of the range and geo hasn’t changed and the Jeffsy can be bought with a 34mm Fox fork. Not exactly Enduro, is it?

It’s entirely possible to judge a trail bike by riding it without preconceptions while ignoring the marketing side of things. But it’s probably easier to make sweeping statements about a bike without riding it and conveniently call the marketing “BS”. Classic resistance to change.

I think the head angle will be a bit slacker than my Titus too, hopefully not too much as I liked how it ride – was about 66 degrees as I had a too-long fork in it

I’d never really looked at reach and head angle before…. Not quite nerdy enough. I did enjoy the geometry on a Genesis Tarn I rode though

Classic resistance to change.

No you’ve got me all wrong. I’m all for change when I can see the point in it. I was an early adopter of 29″ wheels, dropper posts, 1x chainrings and wide bars. I also welcomed slacker, lower, longer geometry to a point. I’m just not buying into the current fashion of “enduro” inspired trail bikes. Maybe I misjudged the Jeffsy, but I was focused on the top end builds, which are definitely leaning toward mini enduro bikes. People are also posting weights well north of 30 lbs for the pro carbon build, which put me off it as a trail bike.

“Jeffsy has gone all Enduro“ when in reality most of the range and geo hasn’t changed

I could have sworn the 2019 models grew about 2 inches longer reach and wheelbase. Maybe I imagined it? Along with all the reviews discussing the pros and cons of the changes e.g.

First Ride Review: YT JEFFSY 2019 – Trail DNA or an Enduro Mutation?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.