Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Find me a GPS/computer. Moon on stick content probably
  • mattsccm
    Free Member

I suspect that my Garmin 800 is coming to the end of its life. To me 4 years for that money is p*** poor but life’s a bitch.

The 800 is fine in many ways, mostly as it allows me to use OSM mapping, get various screens such as speed, average cadence etc  but that’s it. I suspect that I am using 10% of its cleverness but frankly I am happy with that. So I want odd mapping, the ability to hold lots of routes and basic bike functions. Rechargeable is essential, but not  not AA’s though although a removeable single battery that allows a spare to be carried.  would be wonderful. Doubt that though. Prefer touch screens.

Not interested in complex stuff and if it needs a phone no thanks. The long wiggly wire on mine won’t reach very far and why on earth would I take a phone for a ride?

Bet nowt is out there but I am good at missing the obvious.

leffeboy

Why do you think it is coming to the end of its life?

scotroutes

Is it failing to hold a decent charge? I had that with my 705 after a few years, bought a battery off ebay, replaced the original and it’s like new.

lunge

Garmin 130 or 25 for less. Either would do more than what you need though not touch screen.

jonba
    Free Member

You have a few options.

I ended up with the 1000 as I got it from Halfords with BC discount for £270.

You could contact Garmin, send yours in and get a refurbished unit. I wanted  phone connectivity and some of the other features of the 1000 so didn’t take this option.

There are cheaper versions of the flagship range – explore and touring that don’t have all the training functions
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/garmin-edge-explore-gps-cycling-computer/

You could try other brands but when I looked there wasn’t much. The Mio ones on Merlin were tempting.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Find me a GPS/computer. Moon on stick content probably’ is closed to new replies.