Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 158 total)
  • Financially supporting The Guardian
  • ferrals
    Free Member

Why do you think the BBC has been so successful online?

Because despite what some left and right wingers say, it’s relatively neutral and trustworthy.

Just a shame the quality has gone down the pan.

Bimbler
    Free Member

I’m a supporter, second from bottom on their Friend, Supporter, Partner Patron membership tiers, fairly happy paying £49 pa atm, certainly a lot less than my 5-7 day a week newspaper habit that I had bitd. Still waiting for my complementary National Trust membership mind, it’s only been a year.

martinhutch

the BBC has 8,000 journalist whereas the Mail has 400.

The Mail may have 400 with that job title, but I’m not convinced it’s an accurate description. As long as you can trawl Reddit and lift stuff, and find pictures of celebs looking chubby for some body-shaming, you’re in!

I doubt that it’s anything like 8,000 journos at the Beeb. News and current affairs production staff included, perhaps, but then the BBC tends to cover car crashes in Maidenhead instead of what Scarlett Moffatt is wearing in the jungle and how judges are shits if they don’t agree with you.

The BBC has been successful online because people want a frequently-updated, accurate, wide-ranging news service, and was one of the first news organisations to get the formula right.

chakaping
    Free Member

Dacre wrote an article in the Guardian a few years ago which says the BBC has 8,000 journalist whereas the Mail has 400.

I don’t usually bother with trolls like you, but don’t you think that says more about the Mail than the BBC?

chakaping
    Free Member

the BBC tends to cover car crashes in Maidenhead instead of what Scarlett Moffatt is wearing in the jungle and how judges are shits if they don’t agree with you.

I’ve had some insight into how the MailOnline “newsdesk” works and it’s far more terrifying and pathetic than I had imagined.

BigEaredBiker
    Free Member

Why do you think the BBC has been so successful online?

The BBC doesn’t have to worry about actually making a profit. They could churn out junk no one watches or reads for ages before anyone will take any money away from them…

…having said that my TV Licence fee is worth it just for Radio 4 – but I don’t actually watch any BBC TV.

chakaping
    Free Member

They could churn out junk no one watches or reads for ages before anyone will take any money away from them…

Did you miss all the reports of the massive cuts the BBC is being forced to make?

noltae
    Free Member

I hope the Guardian survives – It’s doing such a fabulous job of displaying just how morally repugnant the progressive left has become .

molgrips
    Free Member

Why is no-one citing articles to back up their claims of how awful the Guardian is?

thebees
    Free Member

Didn’t they once run a piece on how the Thomas The Tank Engine tv program was a racist sexist abomination.
    I think they were also behind the recent scheme to stop children from receiving free lego. It was revenge for Brexit and Trump apparently.

footflaps

Dacre wrote an article

When you say wrote you really mean ‘made up some random figures and then blamed it all on immigrants / black people’.

Why is no-one citing articles to back up their claims of how awful the Guardian is?

Pah, facts / references! We’re in a Gove Approved (TM) post expert era when you just make up whatever you want…

leffeboy

I’m really up for this, whichever one you decide to support. Investigative journalism isn’t cheap and we need it now as much as we ever have. It really doesn’t seem expensive for the Guardian and even the Economist or the FT have to be worth it just to get a bit of analysis rather than more clickbait

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/do-you-subscribe-to-any-online-news-sites

Junkyard
    Free Member

what is it that you hate most about trying to look after others?

When you say wrote you really mean ‘made up some random figures and then blamed it all on immigrants / black people’.

If you had said Muslims I would have thought you were describing jamby

egb81
    Free Member

I’m torn on this. I read the Guardian online daily and appreciate a lot of the articles and opinion pieces. The thing that irks me is that they keep bleating about a lack of cash but yet publish a dizzying array of utter nonsense and ill thought out opinion pieces, apparently by anyone with access to a keyboard. I’m fine with differing opinions to my own but some of what gets published is sub GCSE standard in its arguments. The endless obsession with identity politics at expense of the base of left leaning voters is exactly the kind of self congratulating, virtue signaling that alienates large swathes of the population and leads to the cluster**** of brexit and Trump. It’s largely preaching to the converted or at least the non-plussed. I’m not sure they need someone to live blog Strictly come Dancing, it’s on the bloody telly! I get the circular argument that populist articles drive clicks and everyone paid then there would less need for it but ultimately I wonder if my £5 will be spent wisely.

onewheelgood

I used to subscribe to the Independent. Once it left the world of print I took out a print and digital sub for the Grauniad. It is the only paper left that isn’t pushing a right wing agenda, and as such it is precious. A free and diverse press is a fundamental requirement for a functioning democracy, and seeing how close we are to losing that preserving the Guardian is essential.

leffeboy

I read the Guardian online daily

I wonder if my £5 will be spent wisely

You read it daily => it is being spent wisely
    get on with it 😉

deadkenny
    Free Member

molgrips – Member 
    Not quite convinced there. Journalism is an essential part of democracy; which is itself an effort to govern the world for the greatest benefit to the most people. So it’s important.

Which is great, so long as you understand journalism is defined as presenting a particular viewpoint and opinion on a topic or item of news. So many people seem to fail to understand this and believe newspapers and TV news are actually presenting them with factual unbiased pure news. They are not. If they were, it would be tediously boring.

My news feed comes from my own internal filter using a wide array of sources and best where I can dig into some independent fact checks. I’ll form my own opinion then. I can remain biased and opinionated of course, but at least mine isn’t swayed by so called journalism.

outofbreath
    Free Member

Far easier to get your news from where all the papers get it:
    Reuters

Thanks, Dragon, the Reuters site is superb.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

It is the only paper left that isn’t pushing a right wing agenda,

Apart from the FT. They’re not pushing anything.

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

At the moment no. £5 a week is money I could use elsewhere. I also object to their comparison of less than the price of a coffee a day. I don’t buy a coffee a day. I’m not a Londoner.

More seriously, I don’t find they have anything that isn’t on the BBC website. Apart from the occasional recipe. I often get fed up with their opinion pieces too. I want the news only. Then I’ll draw my own opinion.

It seems to me that for a while there is too much emphasis on constantly updating the news website. Even when nothing has happened for the last day. I find I skim read far more than I used to, because it’s the same story I read yesterday, only tweaked slightly to make it look like something has happened since I last looked at the item. As with so much of today’s life it’s too much rushed delivery and not enough time taken to do a proper job.

Clover

I pay them £5 a month out because I never get round to buying paper copy and end up reading the site a lot.

I occasionally buy an FT. Got a New Scientist sub for Christmas – excellent that is.

Thing about the Guardian is that it’s not pedalling the agenda of a single rich individual with no stake in our society apart from the desire to make as much money out of us as possible.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I would certainly, as soon as i have a couple of beans to rub together again, sigh.

“No P, no me”

molgrips
    Free Member

Which is great, so long as you understand journalism is defined as presenting a particular viewpoint and opinion on a topic or item of news

Absolutely.

So when I’m in charge the core curriculum in schools will include politics, economics, history, philosophy AND media studies.

Criminal that it doesn’t, tbh.

dragon
    Free Member

Considering they were Apples mouth piece for a long time you’d have thought that for all the PR they’d have made some money. Nice to see two tax avoiding companies together.

Had anyone ever read the Guardian’s car reviews, utterly bizarre sh*te, makes you wonder who commissions them.

kimbers

well worth it imho

the news is variable in quality, but best one out there, lots of opinion pieces that are a bit lefty even for me

live blogs are still the best ones around

their long reads are very good and some of the other stuff on there is brilliant (and apolitical)
    https://www.theguardian.com/cities/series/the-story-of-cities
    https://www.theguardian.com/cities/series/lost-cities

science reporting is generally a lot better than other sites too (bbc isnt bad)

I have free FT subs through work and its not bad

hh45
    Free Member

I use the G website 2x every day and I cannot understand why they don’t just charge like The Times. If G did that and the Torygraph then I and millions like me who are addicted to newspapers would have to do what we all did happily for years and that was pay cash for our daily fix.

I haven’t read The Times since it added its paywall and the G remained free but if they all charged…. I would pay.

sparksmcguff

Ahhj turn my back and the conversations moved on…
    Anyway, to those who reckon Alan R was a quality editor I say nahhh, he was a one dimensional charlatan who took a paper that had a broad and strong journalistic base, scooped out that broad base, landed a couple of lucky scoops and lost a ton of money in an ill conceived attempt to future proof the graun. And before you ask I’m a life long guardian reader, so were my parents and my grandparents. Does that qualify me to pass judgement – absolutely not! 🙂

dti

a fiver a month is worth is for football weekly alone.

mefty
    Free Member

I don’t usually bother with trolls like you, but don’t you think that says more about the Mail than the BBC?

I’ve been called a troll, how frightfully exciting, the problem is, Sweetcheeks, not everyone shares your world view. One of the biggest criticisms of the BBC is that despite having so many journalists it hardly ever breaks a big story and when it follows up someone else’s scoop it fails to credit them using the mealy mouthed phrase “The BBC has learned”.

Newspapers are like sausages, you don’t really want to know how they are made. Journalism can be a mucky business, which too many people have a romantic view of because they have seen All the Presidents’ Men. The Press in this country is fantastic, it is loud, vulgar and respects noone and long may it continue.

DrJ

I want the news only. Then I’ll draw my own opinion.

A common misconception. Who decides what “the news” is? Which 100% accurate facts shall we choose to present as “the news”.

igm

The BBC is being looked into for its right wing bias at the moment too, Mefty.

neilthewheel

when it follows up someone else’s scoop it fails to credit them using the mealy mouthed phrase “The BBC has learned”.

I thought that was the BBC’s way of flagging an exclusive. It was when I worked there.

molgrips
    Free Member

I don’t go to the G for actual things that have happened – I go to the BBC for that. I read the G website for comment and opinion – some of which I disagree with (frequently the two headliners Monbiot and Toynbee); and also the random magazine type content. And I like the funnies too.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

I find myself reading it quite a lot – interesting range of stuff.

Worth a fiver I think.

Flaperon

I flicker between The Times and the “i”, both of which are pretty neutral in their reporting (Times less so).

The Guardian makes no bones of the fact that it’s biased in both its article selection and writing style, and I prefer to make my own decisions on what to take away from a paper. Also, it’s slightly too big to read easily at work.

Quite enjoy The Observer on Sunday now that the Independent isn’t out any more.

igm

To be fair, on most political stuff recently the Indy, Gruniad and Times reporting has taken a similar line, while the Torygraph (I’m an equal opportunities insult slinger) has tended to differ although it has started to question the logic of Brexit in particular a little more of recent weeks.
    I’m a poll of polls sort of news consumer – if 3 of those 4 agree then the truth won’t be too far away.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

I’m a poll of polls sort of news consumer

I’ll go along with that.

The Graun, Indy, Times & Beeb with the odd random source thrown in.

I can’t bear the Torygraph…

zokes
    Free Member

I can’t bear the Torygraph…

My dad reads it, and often leaves at mine. This is convenient as it’s quite big, which means I have plenty of paper to light my fire with.

stewartc
    Free Member

Been a long time reader of the Guardian, originally the paper but more so online now and mainly for the football (and excellent football weekly podcast) plus the opinion pieces but I’m starting to think the latter is now more about click-bait than actual thought inducing articles.
    Bring back comrade Milne, even as a slightly right of center person I did used to enjoy his opinions, its good to anger the blood every now and then.
    As for the newspapers and their readership, Yes Minister had this covered years ago….
    [video]http://youtu.be/DGscoaUWW2M[/video]
    In this day of easy access to news its also ironic that the same technology makes it even easier to spread false news probably more a result of robots farming joke fake news sites more than anything.

igm

I haven’t opened that clip and I could probably recite it line for line – unless you’ve fooled me with a British sausage clip.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 158 total)

The topic ‘Financially supporting The Guardian’ is closed to new replies.