Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)
  • Finally someone has made a foot-shaped riding shoe.
  • zerocool

As the title suggests, Stomp Lox have made some shoes with a wider toe box that are actually foot-shaped rather than every other manufacturer out there who only make shoes that have very little in common with actual feet.

As a long time advocate of wider toe boxes and anatomically shaped shoes I’m looking forward to trying a pair once I can afford some.
    Stomp

Robz
    Free Member

Just a shame they look so hideous.

noeffsgiven
    Free Member

🤢🤮🙈

zerocool

@Robz – I’ve come to the conclusion that pretty much every bike-specific shoe looks stupid and at least these ones will stop trying to giving me bunions and destroying my feet.

Also available in black (which I’d prefer)

dc1988

When you say foot shaped, you mean your foot shaped.

Pyro

Yep, those are gopping…

seriousrikk

Now someone needs to make one that doesn’t look fugly.

tomhoward

Was expecting something like this…

Is disappoint.

ton

one of the best things about growing old is not giving a flying **** how you look and just caaring about your comfort.
    so i will be buying a pair of those once available over here.

Bruce

So will I who cares what they look like if they are comfy. I have often spent a few happy hours with a steamer and broom handle heelping uncomfoirtable shoes to fit.

MSP

When you say foot shaped, you mean your foot shaped.

He means shoes shaped like the natural human foot, that is what everyone’s foot should be shaped like with minor variations, rather than feet that have been shaped by a lifetime of wearing fashion shaped shoes. It is really weird that people practice a daily foot binding ritual because they think it is the societal norm. As I stated in the “comfy shoes” thread, some peoples feet have Stockholm syndrome from being held captive by fashion for so long.

zerocool

@DC1988 – no, I mean the natural foot shape where the widest part tends to be at the front from the ball to the toes. I cannot think of many humans that were born with pointy feet, that’s something we’ve come to accept through years of wearing shoes that taper to a point.

And yes I agree they are quite fugly, but no more so than a pair of 5Ten Impacts, winter waterproof boots or carbon disco slippers that bear no relation to the actual human foot.

And let’s be honest 99 of bike specific clothes look fairly stupid.

I always find it funny that people are happy to state that form is less important than function unless it involves their shoes. Lol

At least there are some people out there who value their foot health over fashion.

honourablegeorge

Dunno where you all get your shoes, this is a new phenomenon to me,

IHN

He means shoes shaped like the natural human foot, that is what everyone’s foot should be shaped like with minor variations, rather than feet that have been shaped by a lifetime of wearing fashion shaped shoes.

Well, my feet are incredibly narrow and flat, and not through years of wearing stilettos. They wallow around in most normal shoes without at least one, sometimes two, insoles. I’d probably get both of them in one of these shoes.

Robz
    Free Member

There are plenty decent looking cycling shoes for both flats and spds. I am still very much of an age where I care what my footwear looks like, and also lucky that by some miracle I seem to be able to function with regular shoes (like virtually everyone else in the world including most elite athletes).

TiRed

Foot shaped? This is what feet look like (1.2mn of them)

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-019-55432-z

I’m median length and 5th percentile width. The narrowest Fizik shoes with laces are ok. Shimano don’t close enough to fit properly!

BruceWee

I’ve been wearing barefoot shoes for everyday use for years now and I’m a big advocate for them. However, when it comes to cycling, I’m looking for something slightly different compared to walking.

For me cycling shoes should be closer to climbing shoes than walking shoes. I don’t mind if my toes get slightly squeezed, what I want is there to be little to no movement between my foot and the shoe.

Typically the shoes I use for cycling are at least one size smaller than my everyday shoes. Trying to walk for any distance in my cycling shoes results in days of pain in my toes. They are completely comfortable for cycling though.

Like I said, huge fan of big toe box barefoot shoes but unless I’m going to be spending most of my time walking in them I’m not sure if I see the point.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Foot shaped? This is what feet look like (1.2mn of them)

Coming here spouting actual scientific research and its output, pah, I’ll take “these are for real feet man” pseudo science over that any day of the week 😉

FWIW @MSP I don’t cram my feet into shoes to fit with whatever suits the current trends as I know what feels comfortable, yet I can still wear fashionable shoes and buy from bike brands for cycling shoes that fit me properly. Also as a gentleman of nigh on 46 years with never having experienced a shoe fit based foot or ankle problem in my life I’m good.

BruceWee

Coming here spouting actual scientific research and its output, pah, I’ll take “these are for real feet man” pseudo science over that any day of the week 😉

FWIW @MSP I don’t cram my feet into shoes to fit with whatever suits the current trends as I know what feels comfortable, yet I can still wear fashionable shoes and buy from bike brands for cycling shoes that fit me properly. Also as a gentleman of nigh on 46 years with never having experienced a shoe fit based foot or ankle problem in my life I’m good.

Any part of your body can be molded into an unnatural shape given enough time. Your feet have been getting crammed into the wrong shaped shoe since you were old enough to wear shoes.

Same as those 1.2m people whose feet were studied.

fossy

They don’t look like wet weather/snowy condition shoes to me. Basically useless in the UK given how wet it is. I’ll stick with my MW7’s

StuE
    Free Member

Lake make cycling shoes with different width options, I need some new spd xc shoes and I’m going to give a pair of the wider width models a go

tomhoward

I’d wear them.

I’d wager my feet aren’t foot shaped anymore.

Current footwear looks like this…

Any riding shoes would be fine, TBF.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I don’t ride SPD very often but I’m almost tempted to buy these just to support the idea of something more naturally shaped in the world of cycling.

Some aspects of barefoot style shoes are useful in cycling, some are not. There’s no need for a flexible sole, quite the opposite. Heel drop is irrelevant on a pedal. However, I’d like to see zero toe spring in cycling shoes and a bigger toe box.

I agree that a foot needs to be close fitting in a cycling shoe, I don’t believe the toes need to be included in that.

BruceWee

There’s no need for a flexible sole, quite the opposite.

I actually disagree with that (for flat pedals, not for SPDs obviously).

I think if you’ve got a large enough platform on the flat pedal a thin soled flexible shoe is best. That’s more my own preference though. I like to have as little movement and cushioning as possible between my foot and the bike.

desperatebicycle

Guess no-one’s tried Specialized Clip/Cliplite/2F0s etc then. Cos they fit wide feet fine and look like erm, well not the bastard son of a climbing boot, walking boot and grandad slipper like those bizarre Stomp things.
    AND they’re not TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY bloody quid either!! That is mental

reeksy

I don’t mind the look of them tbh.

and I have three pairs of Specialized 2FO and they are the best I can find but they’re not quite wide enough really

chakaping
    Free Member

I mean, they’re not disgusting but they remind me of some Camper casual shoes I had in the noughties.

Strange how people get so heated about shoes, insisting their chosen fad is the one true way.

Do you think bike shoe makers are deliberately choosing to make products which won’t fit their customers?

sirromj

1st para of abstract in that paper:

For decades, footwear brands have developed products using outdated methods and measurements, working with limited insight into the foot shapes and dimensions of their target customers.

Also mentions at least 3 width options required to cover 90% off shoe wearers in a group.

Personally I think they look okay.

Agree that overly stiff soles on flat pedal shoes are terrible – you need to feel the pedal.

I like room in the toe box of both cycling and walking shoes, dislike squished toes. Toe box isn’t the part of the shoe that should keep your feet from moving around inside the shoe IMO.

molgrips
    Free Member

I don’t mind narrower toes on cycling shoes because I can see how they would get in the way a bit less, but whatever – a choice in fit is great.

But soft suede? Really? And no straps, just normal laces? That doesn’t sound particularly effective for SPD pedalling. Last pair I had with just laces were pretty wobbly when pedalling circles.

BruceWee

Toe box isn’t the part of the shoe that should keep your feet from moving around inside the shoe IMO.

Yeah, that’s probably true. It’s just the side effect of using a shoe that is a size too small. Everything is squished but it’s just more noticeable on the toes.

If I ever find a shoe that doesn’t allow my foot to move about and has space in the toe box I’ll probably use that.

bedmaker

Good news, apart from the inevitable wild pricing.
    Grown adults knocking around on bikes look dorky, especially tubby ones like me.
    Having comfy shoes on makes not a jot of difference, so may as well choose whatever fits.

zilog6128

Just a shame they look so hideous.

from the comments was expecting it to be subjective as is usually the case, or a bit marmite, but no, they’re just utterly fugly 😂

sniffthebreeze
    Free Member

BONT???
    I’ve been using them for years, both on and off road.
    Not ugly, not heavy and a good range of price!

BenjiM

But soft suede? Really? And no straps, just normal laces? That doesn’t sound particularly effective for SPD pedalling. Last pair I had with just laces were pretty wobbly when pedalling circles.

Agreed, I’m not even sure I’d be wearing them in those conditions either, but each to their own!

Onzadog
    Free Member

@brucewee

There’s no need for a flexible sole, quite the opposite.

I actually disagree with that (for flat pedals, not for SPDs obviously).

I think if you’ve got a large enough platform on the flat pedal a thin soled flexible shoe is best. That’s more my own preference though. I like to have as little movement and cushioning as possible between my foot and the bike.

Sorry, I meant compared to a barefoot shoe. 8n most of mine, I could stand on a coin and tell you if it was heads or tails. I don’t want it that flexible on a flat pedal shoe. You’re right though, it needs to conform to the pedal. Too stiff and you’ll just slip off.

rhinofive

I have duck feet and yet still have plenty of room around the toes in these; and in a sentence I never thought I’d say it seems that Giro would be the money-saving option in this instance

ransos
    Free Member

Lake make cycling shoes with different width options, I need some new spd xc shoes and I’m going to give a pair of the wider width models a go

That’s what I did. First pair on cycling shoes I haven’t had to size up in order to get the correct width.

Now for the weather to improve so I can wear them!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

They would be useless in any UK conditions looking at that sole.

Not bad looking clogs as clogs go

molgrips
    Free Member

They’d get pretty dirty in any conditions – if it’s dry enough not to be muddy you can get pretty dusty.

zerocool

I never said the design was perfect or pretty. I personally think they look fugly and suede is definitely the wrong material for any like of riding that I do in the UK, but apart from sizing up 5Ten Freeriders and giving up on road shoes I haven’t found a comfy pair of shoes. And I doesn’t even have huge Fred Flinstone shoes.

I guess it’s because I spent most of my life outside of school barefoot of in flip flops. And then got into barefoot style shoes (not 5 Fingers or anything that extreme) that I thought it was nice to see someone challenging the norm and offering shoes that lend themselves more towards the modern way of thinking about shoe shape and sizing.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.