• This topic has 36 replies, 28 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by hora.
Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Finally running out of patience.
  • colournoise

Another email from Cotic today. Rocket date now put back to June (was end of April).

Really want one but am getting a bit fed up now. Totally understand the possible start up issues that are causing the delays, but have had all the components sitting around since last August and feel like I’m facing not getting the bike this summer even.

Drawing up a list of alternatives. Banshee Spitfire is top of the list but what else should I consider? Frame only, 140-160mm rear travel, 142×12 rear end, 44mm/tapered headtube, compact (I’m only 5’6″), slack, tough.

Totally open to ‘suggest what you ride’ answers…

jam-bo

When did you order it?

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I bought into the hype but its really that good IMHO. Must be a few 26″ers knocking about in shops still. Mines a 16″ – would be spot on at 5’6″.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Oh, and theres no way I’d wait as long as I believe you have for any frame. Its a joke…

colournoise

Demoed the Rocket early last June. On the unofficial waiting list then. Officially pre-ordered late January.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Sod that. I’d be shopping for something else especially now the summer is on its way. Dry trails, long evenings etc, I’d want to be making the most of new frame.

I’m a Banshee fanboy, so would vote for the Spitfire or Rune (which I have and love).

Is the Covert still 26inch or does that now have silly wheels?

Ali SB66 if there are any left?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Just get a 2nd hand Pitch or prophet off ebay till the summer? Get a comp version as the rear specialized hub on the Pro is a bit crap, everything else you’ve already got.

Might even make some money selling it in the nicer weather.

theraggyone
    Free Member

Saw a prototype(or we think it was) cotic rocket fold in half at chicksands 2.5 months back both top and bottom tube. So im not suprised they have been put back , hopefully they are fixing any teething problems with the new production run because they do look awesome.

I ride a spitfire so would definatly recommend one:p

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I’ve been following Swarf on facebook but I’d be seriously tempted (cost dependent) on a Curve:
    http://www.swarfcycles.co.uk/index.php/products-swarf/curve

colournoise

Only question I really have over the Spitfire is how tough it is? Currently ride a BFe and am not the most finesseful of riders. Will the Spitfire take hamfisted riding or should I suck up the extra weight and go for a Rune?

mindmap3
    Free Member

From what I know, the Spitfire will take a fair chunk of abuse. It’s not particularly light compare to other ali bikes in its class. It’s often described as the downhillers trail bike.

My Rune looks like it’ll take a shed load more abuse than I’ll ever give it and it isn’t that much heavier.

mrblobby
    Free Member

I’d rather have the Spitfire anyway, looks a great bike.

theraggyone
    Free Member

The spitfire is built like a tank its more a short travel enduro / all mountain bike rather than a trail bike imo its a very capable bike:)

davewalsh
    Free Member

I lost patience at the last delay and ended up going for a Banshee Spitfire. Had it built for 3 weeks now and really loving it, done everything from local XC rides to 20 mile loops to an uplift day at BPW. Not regretted my decision so far.
    However if you would like a small ex-demo black Rocket, give EDS bikes in Scarborough a ring. They had one part built in the shop when I was up there last month.

hora
    Free Member

I’d wait. And thats coming from me. I think they look great. Once you have it youll be happy.

Buy a 2ndhand Orange frame for now IMO.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Dr Harold Shipman (Fred) ran out of patients & look what happened to him!

Mugboo

If its what you want, buy something 2nd hand to put you on and sell it again when your Rocket arrives.

Nukeproof Mega here so I’ll recommend that 🙂

mindmap3
    Free Member

Cotic make sone lovely bikes, but I’m amazed at the slack they’re given with the constant delays on frames being available.

I’d be too impatient to wait especially for something that’s not super special like a custom made frame or some ti wonder bike. There are loads of good bikes out there so I’d rather have one of them that I could enjoy for the best part of the year.

Sancho
    Free Member

Ive got a new and six month old carbon coverts available if you want something now

jedi

im looking at commencal as a possible

Northwind

I’m a Cotic fanboi but there’s no way I’d be waiting that long for a frame.

tangoman19
    Free Member

I was massively gutted by this. Was really looking forward to it but, needed something in the next month to make the most of this summer. There was also living with the added risk of a third delay email. Anyway, after clearance from the dragon, I cheered myself up by immediately buying a Covert Carbon frame instead.

jruk
    Free Member

What Northwind says. You can only play the ‘small company’ card for so long and when you start going on about your own manufacturing kit etc people expect that you’ve got the basics covered.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

So much choice out there. Why wait that long.

al2000

Spitfire (I got one, it’s brilliant).
    Five.
    Mega TR.
    Commencal HipHop.

If you really really want a Rocket though (and they do look great), then the second hand Pitch / Prophet to tide you over suggestion is a good one.

funklenut
    Free Member

Cancelled mine yesterday too, too many good alternatives out there to try

cy

I can’t say I blame anyone for cancelling their order at this point. Getting into full scale production is one of the hardest things I’ve ever been involved with, and it’s not even me who’s doing most of it, it’s Mike over at BML.

There are perhaps things we should have done differently to look after our customers, but it’s all 20/20 hindsight as we didn’t think it would take this long to get to this point. There have been a lot of bumps in the road.

I would hope we’re not playing the ‘small company card’; that’s certainly not my intention. We’re just doing our best to do something we believe in and trying to manage that as best we can. It’s not like it’s been easy having our FS frame out of stock for 10 months, believe me! I’m also blown away by how committed a lot of our prospective customers have been and still are, and everyone involved in the project massively appreciates it. More than you can imagine.

One final point – the prototype that broke at Chicksands wasn’t a Rocket. It was a test lightweight aluminium frame that wasn’t doing anything because we weren’t pursuing the design and Rich built it up for mucking about on. It went pop when he 50/50’d the last big triple at Chicky, but it wasn’t really designed for that kind of thing.

bol

As others have said, a used Pitch or something for a few hundred quid will see you through for a few months. Why commit big money to something that’s your second choice? You’ll loose hundreds if you then decide you really want a Rocket after all.

cardo

+1 for a 5 there have been some real bargains in the classifieds over the last few months. if you need a slacker version treat yourself to some off set bushes.

BigDummy
    Free Member

I waited months and months and months for a Surly Big Dummy frame. I’m amazingly glad I did, never regretted it for a moment.

Not the same thing, obvs. 🙂

brennak

I can understand people’s frustration I am one of the lucky ones and have had a rocket for nearly two years and I have never regretted the purchase it totally transformed my mtb experience and enjoyment I hope this helps you to weather out the wait I am sure it will be worth it

jameso

I waited a year for a frame and fork I really wanted, was well worth it and don’t regret it. Depends how much you want it and how unique the frame is – the Rocket does score fairly high there but it’s also better to be riding something than nothing. If you have another bike for now, I’d sit tight. A UK-made steel susser at that price? Worth it.

bigrich

cottage industry is slow shocker. however, to contextualise, my mate missed out on an sworks epic last year, and has been on the wait list this year. 12 month wait for him so far from spesh.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

cottage industry is slow shocker

cottage industry massively misses deadlines and loses valuable custom, being unable to deliver one of a very limited line of products, having a disproportionately large effect on their business.

Spec sold out of the annual allocation of Venge road bikes in the first few months, and from your description sold out of Sworks Epics. Cotic arent selling out, they arent selling any.

bigrich

cottage industry massively misses deadlines and loses valuable custom, being unable to deliver one of a very limited line of products, having a disproportionately large effect on their business.

Spec sold out of the annual allocation of Venge road bikes in the first few months, and from your description sold out of Sworks Epics. Cotic arent selling out, they arent selling any.

so? same difference. go buy a soul frame whilst you wait.

StuE
    Free Member

One of these ticks all your boxes
    http://www.last-bikes.com/products/herb-160-2.html

hora
    Free Member

When in June?

Begining? Yes

End?

June onwards is riding time so IMO its crucial.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Finally running out of patience.’ is closed to new replies.