Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Finally replacing my trusty Heckler.
  • dantsw13

My long term Alps bike is a 2011 Heckler with set of 160 Bombers. I love the way the coil fork soaks up the rocks, but it doesn’t half “Pogo” when climbing. It’s a straight steerer so replacing the fork becoming a non-starter.

I’ve been given permission to get a replacement before this years Lads Alps trip.

I like steep rocky riding, but not big gaps & jumps.

I want to be able to pedal away from the lifts too.

I like the simplicity of a sSingle Pivot, but not the squat & bob

This bike s predominantly a long term “Alps Machine” but will also be used for BPS & other big days out.

I had narrowed it down to a Bird AM9 or an Orange Stage 6, but a left field bargain 2017 Intense Tracer Pro has caught my eye.

Any thoughts?

Demoing the Tracer doesn’t seem an option, but it does come with a 14 day “return if you don’t like it” policy.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Pretty much any big 160 bike I’ve flung a leg over in the last couple of years has pedalled well, I’d be looking at Orbea or Trek, I love the simple lines of the Slash tbh, but that open side coil on the Rallon is sweet looking too.

blackmountainsrider
    Free Member

I have ridden ALOT of 160 mm bikes ( Rallon, Nomad, Mega Geometron, Pole Evolink, Starling Murmur and a few more), and can honestly say that the AM9 is the best ive used with only the Pole and geometron matching it, AND it is very good value, hence why i own one. Its even better now with a -2 degree angleset!

plus its a british brand, and theyre great to deal with. THe aeris 145lt is meant to be very good as well, if you wanted 650b wheels

chilled76
    Free Member

Good sales pitch- it’s got me looking at them! Do you work for them?

dantsw13

I like the look of the AM9 a lot. It is right up there on my list, and I’m planning a visit to ride one hopefully.

What makes it THAT good in your opinion?

dantsw13

I have a niggling doubt over Fox forks and ridiculous service intervals too. The ability to spec my own bike from Bird is a real plus too.

I do, however, love a bargain, and current deals on a stage 6 or Tracer are VERY good. I’ve always loved Intense, and the ability to own a top spec one for half price is appealing.

baldiebenty
    Free Member

No affiliation but PedalABikeaway in FoD have a Large ex-demo Stage 6 RS for sale

Stage 6

I was v. tempted having demo’d a stage 6 there and been surprised by it.

blackmountainsrider
    Free Member

Haha, nah I don’t work for Bird, but just think the AM9 is a great bike. I didnt really like the aeris 145 in short travel mode, but its meant to be great in LT.

rmprest
    Free Member

If your in the market for a 29’r also check out the Nukeproof Mega 290 as that would also fit your bill (… yes I’ve got one)

Could be some deals about on the 2018 model which is basically the same as the new 2019 model Minus the new charger 2 dampener in the Lyrik

dantsw13

I’ve heard the Mega 290 pedals like a pig!!

But you are right – there are some good deals…

Andy-R

Surely the iconic alpine technical riding bike is the Liteville 301?

dantsw13

Lovely bike – totally different to others, which appeals, but makes it impractical to own & fix.

anagallis_arvensis

Airdrop edit

rmprest
    Free Member

Hmm not sure about that. I got mine a year ago and came from a YT Jeffsy which is a good climber.

Not that I pay that much attention to Strava apart from keeping a log of miles rode but It shows me that since I got he 290 I’m consistently quicker up on the hills I did regularly

That said there are so many good bikes out there it’s tough to choose !

chakaping
    Free Member

The Stage 6 doesn’t suffer from bob much at all.

If anything, it’s on the perkier side of enduro bikes. A scalpel rather than a steamroller. And needs slacking out a little bit more than it comes stock, IMO.

Look at the new radon swoop 29, I’d get one of them as an alps bike – just based on geometry and how the 27in version rides.

jakehinton
    Free Member

+1 For the Airdrop Edit. Fun, capable and reasonably priced too. Plus they do everything from frame only to full custom build or anywhere in between.

dantsw13

Any thoughts on the big forks? Lyric v F36 v X Fusion v Pike

chakaping
    Free Member

Lyrik rc2 or fox 36 with the grip2 damper seem to be the ones to look for if you’re reading through spec lists.

dantsw13

Are the days of Fox requiring a service every 20hrs gone? I’ve actively avoided them since my last set about 9 yrs ago.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

If you can stretch to a new MK3 Bronson, even an alloy frame one then I can’t recommend it highly enough. Absolutely blown away by mine, climbs and descents better than my old nomad by far.

The new Grip2 36’s are excellent. Just ignore the fox recommendations for air pressures. I think fox recommend somewhere between 72-76psi for my weight; I’m running 48psi and struggle to ever bottom them out…

dantsw13

Well, I’ve caved in and ordered the Intense Tracer direct from Intense UK! 2017 model half price !

They have a 14 day ride and return policy if I don’t like it.

The Heckler will live on as a mate is going to have it for not much.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

If it’s Carbon keep an eye out for the dropouts de-bonding from the rear triangle. It’ll start with a creak and some play you can’t figure out…

dantsw13

Is that a known intense fault or just carbon frames generally?

Andy-R

Re. Liteville 301…?

dantsw13

Lovely bike – totally different to others, which appeals, but makes it impractical to own & fix.

I don’t see why? – I manage to own and maintain mine easily enough, in fact, I find it a pleasure to work on.

dantsw13

My bad – it looked so individual & custom built I assumed it would be hard to get spares.

Andy-R

dantsw13

My bad – it looked so individual & custom built I assumed it would be hard to get spares.

All the items you might need to replace (suspension pivot bearings, headset bearings) are off-the-shelf. Beyond that,of course, it’s proprietary stuff but no more than any other manufacturer, I suppose.
    I just thought I’d throw it in the mix, as technical descending is what they’re best known for – sounds like you’re sorted anyway though, so that’s cool!

trumpton
    Free Member

glad your Heckler is going to a good home. I still have mine.

dantsw13

If I could have got a newer fork for the Heckler I’d have kept it. The 1 1/8 straight HT makes that a non starter. I’m happy to see it go to a good home for well under market value – enough to buy me a new dropper for my Ti HT is all I want.

dantsw13

Andy – I’ve always liked something a little quirky/different, so it’s definitely my kind of bike.

trumpton
    Free Member

there might be something here

forks

there’s a company still making 160mm forks too. I saw it on pinkbike. Cannot remember who it was though. I may have been xfusion.

Andy-R

Re. straight steerer 160mm forks. I’m using Marzocchi 55 TST2, converted to shim stack damping, out in Greece on a 2010 Genesis Alpitude.
    I think that they’re some of the nicest forks that I’ve ever used, tbh.
    Somebody else on here had done the same conversion and they raved about them too. I think it was Hora, come to think of it…

If you could get a straight steerer 55 CSU you could probably use RC3 Ti internals too.

dantsw13

Interesting.

The guy taking it over might be interested in that. New bike ordered now, so it’s 1 out 1 in!

Andy-R

On the mtbr forums, under the Marzocchi Service info thread, there’s a step-by-step guide, if that’s any use to anyone?

shipton47
    Free Member

How you find your tracer as looking at ordering one.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Finally replacing my trusty Heckler.’ is closed to new replies.