Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Finally, I got wood!
  • footflaps

After many years of jealously coveting wood piles on STW, I have finally acquired my own:

Sycamore Tree kit by brf, on Flickr

Not that I have a wood burner to actually burn any of it……

cynic-al
    Free Member

Not that I have a wood burner to actually burn any of it……

Classic!

Stoner
    Free Member

worse than that, you appear not to have an axe either! For shame!

footflaps

’tis true, and it’s an electric chainsaw as well…..

maccruiskeen

Interesting endgrain on some of the bigger pieces… like someones been sitting on a photocopier.

flip
    Free Member

Electric saw= fail

Sawdust wrecking grass= fail

How you gonna paint fence= fail

Nice big pile though 8)

sharkbait
    Free Member

Poor FF…. leave him alone you meanies 😉

Are those matchsticks on the top?

footflaps

Are those matchsticks on the top?

The shredder only took up to 5cm, but it’s now completely blunt. Was brand new when I started taking the tree down, but eating the entire canopy has pretty much destoyed it….

Chain is also completely blunt as well, was just smoking towards the end….

trout
    Free Member

You appear to have someone buried with their bare arse sticking out
    and a rather sore ring

z1ppy

I’m just impressed the electric chainsaw managed all of that TBH.

footflaps

It drank a litre of oil and the chain is now completely blunt, but other than that it was fine…..

convert

Chain is also completely blunt as well, was just smoking towards the end…

This week has also been the week of post storm tree felling and chopping up for me. Though I’ve got proper man’s chainsaw (Husqvarna).

I’ve discovered sharpening chainsaw chains in my new second favourite man cave pastime (after wheel building). There’s something so cathartic about it.

Stoner
    Free Member

If anyone’s interested I actually have a Husqvana electric chainsaw for sale for a mate.

It’s immaculate, almost never used. Ive stripped and cleaned and tested it and it’s fine. 12″ Oregon bar & chain, 2kW. YOu have to add your own chainsaw noise though, brrrrm brrrrrrrrrrrrrm, brrrrrrrrrrrrrmmmmmmmmmmm!M!M!!!!!!

the older version of this one.
    http://www.husqvarna.com/uk/products/chainsaws/321el/

I’d need to clear £100 + p&p for it or I hand it back to him, if anyone’s interested, pm me and I can sort out some pics. If I get my self together I might manage to put a proper classifieds together with photos etc,

footflaps

Electric chainsaw!

What sort of pathetic big hitter wannabe would buy one of those!

TheDTs
    Free Member

Had a bit of fortune on the way back from my ride earlier, there was a bloke liberating some wood I had spotted when I parked up on the way off for my ride. Went over to see if he was going to get the lot in his Volvo whilst he was chopping it up with his chain saw, he said help yourself, so he chopped and I did the shifting. Both came away with way more than you should have in the back of a Volvo estate, each. Funny thing was as we shook hands after, he said “shouldn’t be doing this really, I had a heart attack recently” Glad I did the hard labour shifting it to the cars..

Stoner
    Free Member

flaps – I have to get it out of my garage. My manly petrol saws are all turning a little fruity 🙂

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Awaits the mother of all woodshed threads. 😀

footflaps

Awaits the mother of all woodshed threads.

😉

I’ve hired Foster and Partners architects to come up with a basic outline……

househusband

I don’t get all this taking the mickey out of electric chainsaws – and no doubt some if it from folk that don’t have a chainsaw of any type.

I bought an electric chainsaw as it makes perfect sense for working on their own in a fixed location and in proximity to a socket, where you tend to stack a bit, cut a bit, stack a but cut a bit, etc. The Makita I have is as powerful as a many electric chainsaws.

footflaps

I don’t get all this taking the mickey out of electric chainsaws

They’re just not as manly as a petrol one.

Stoner
    Free Member

VS

I rest my case, m’lud.

househusband

I rest my case, m’lud.

😆

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Awaits what woodburner thread.

convert

househusband – I don’t get all this taking the mickey out of electric chainsaws

Dude, you’ve called yourself ‘househusband’ on a public on a forum full of blokes. You are obviously very comfortable within your (metro sexual) skin and will have no idea of the angst some us put ourselves through to try and add a thin veneer of alpha male to our sad little lives.

househusband

Dude, you’ve called yourself ‘househusband’ on a public on a forum full of blokes. You are obviously very comfortable within your (metro sexual) skin and will have no idea of the angst some us put ourselves through to try and add a thin veneer of alpha male to our sad little lives.

Erm, thanks for the clarification..!

(Have been on for some nine years or so with the same username! Have never actually been a ‘househusband’; it started as a joke with my wife as I was a mature student for a few years so did all the domestic stuff! Now a secondary teacher.)

bigblackshed

Three things.

Doesn’t sycamore stink when burned?

You’re going to have to move the match sticks to get at the big bits to split them. Do you like humping wood? 😉

I managed to get my proper manly petrol chainsaw running today. I can now chop up wood. Grrrrrrrr.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Electric chainsaws…kinda like riding a moped I suppose. 🙂

allfankledup

Hardly use the chainsaw that we purchased when we first got a log burner. Most wood that we source has been cut into rounds by the tree surgeons.

There is huge mileage in getting a log splitter (we bought an alko – and it’s been v.good). Not quite as manly as my neighbours home built hydraulic splitter, powered by his land-rover, but good enough…

Get a cover on the log stack and look to get a breeze running through it somehow….nice work

cxthompson
    Free Member

I have to say electric chainsaws make sense in an urban setting. They are ALOT quieter.. Although none of mine are electric!

crankboy
    Free Member

Electric chainsaws will be useless come the zombie apocalypse. No way you can hunt them down you would have to wait for them to come within reach of your flex then you risk them circling behind getting tangled in your cable and accidently unplugging you!

samuri
    Free Member

those big pieces won’t be going in a wood stove. You need a 10lb maul.

Once you’ve got one of those no one will take the mickey out of your electric chainsaw.

footflaps

What make / model of splitting maul?

Edit The Gransfors look good:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2pBF3fTLxY[/video]

JoeG
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=U7QPak4Qw88[/video]

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Any maul would look easy splitting those logs to be fair. pristine.

takisawa2

I bought a chainsaw to cut down a big conifer in the neighbours garden, after he said if I wanted it gone I’d have to do it myself…
    The most frightening thing I’ve ever used.
    Fair play to you househusbands who use them all the time. Like something off Mad Max. For a fleeting moment though, I felt like a man. A real man.

My brother lopped the top of a tall hedge once by zip tying the trigger & lashing a hedge trimmer at a right angle at the end of his Wifes clothes line prop. All went well till it fell through the hedge with the trimmer still going. The neighbours dog had a very lucky escape.

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9x8rBKC4BE[/video]

footflaps

That predator looks like it was designed with health and safety in mind!

sharkbait
    Free Member

Log splitters?

Mine 🙂
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=2I3Z0cx6qA0[/video]

footflaps

Log splitters?

Mine

Much as I’d like one, I think buying a tractor for a 50m x 5m garden would be a bit overkill….

sausagefingers
    Free Member

I could watch that video of the ruddy cheeked buffoon chopping logs all day

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Finally, I got wood!’ is closed to new replies.