Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Finally got my dream bike
  • thols2

…from 20 years ago. This frame has been hanging on the wall of a local mechanic since 2002. I remember drooling over it the first time I saw it, always hoping that one day I’d be the lucky guy to take it home. He had a big clean out of old bits and pieces and I grabbed the frame and a bunch of old bits and pieces. Banged in a fork, bars, stem and some wheels to make it look like a bike so I’d be motivated to finish building it up instead of just turfing it in the back of the shed like all the other frames. Like watching a caterpillar emerge from its cocoon as a beautiful butterfly.

Mintyjim

Is it an AC Team (or 1, 2, 3 etc.)? Hard to make out! If so, loved mine!

kerley
    Free Member

Don’t your shoes go that well with it, maybe get a different colour?

doomanic

That seat tube is slacker than my work ethic!

thols2

Is it an AC Team (or 1, 2, 3 etc.)?

It’s an AC3, so it has a low-end shock. I’m expecting the shock will probably be knackered anyway from sitting unused for two decades. I have a couple of other shocks in a box somewhere that I’m hoping will fit.

convert

That seat tube is slacker than my work ethic!

indeed – even with some rubber on that rear wheel to jack the back end up a bit that’s impressive.

The shoes are also an impeccable choice. People will be swooning as you roll past with that combo.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Lawn’s a bit sparse

fasthaggis

thols2
    When it’s built up ,please post a photo of you doing a massive(one handed)wheelie 😉

greeny30
    Free Member

On a tough climb that dropper will be near horizontal 😀

matt_outandabout

That cat is tunnelling out.

mashr

I would say that it’ll definitely be cracked, but given that it doesn’t look ridden it might just be ok!

StuE
    Free Member

I’ve a team edition frame you could have had

thols2

Finally finished putting it together and took it for a ride. Borrowed some new XT cranks from my wife’s bike along with used XT 9 speed shifters and rear derailleur, plus new LX front derailleur. I have some old Saint 4-pot brakes on a hardtail that I had planned to use, but the rear hose was too short so had to put some old Deores on that have been sitting in a box for years. Pads were pretty knackered, but figured they’d do for a shakedown ride. Turns out that my big hoard of tyres doesn’t include any decent 27.5″ front tyres so just fitted the front wheel from my hardtail, with a Hans Dampf that is about three years old. Was too lazy to fit a new back tyre, just put on an old wheel with a Geax Goma that I bought on closeout back whenever it was that Geax rebranded to Vittoria, maybe five years ago, don’t remember. It seems to be nicely worn in now, hitting that sweet spot when it rolls nearly as well as a slick.

Anyway, took it for a ride up the hill behind work. It’s definitely not going to win any XC races, but actually pedals ok if you just go at it steadily and stay seated. The brakes were horrible at first, honking like a flock of geese and couldn’t even lock up the back wheel at first. They improved on the descent and the worn back tyre gave some very impressive skids, but the front brake took a lot longer to bed in and didn’t start working properly until I got to the bottom. Was nice having brakes for the ride home. Having almost no front brakes was a drawback on the steep stuff, but having two knackered tyres compensated for this by giving it very well balanced handling on loose stuff. Some old people out walking shouted some encouragement to me as I went past, I sometimes forget how impressive mounting biking looks to bystanders.

It actually seems like a decent enough trail bike to ride, doesn’t feel super quick but easy to ride apart from the brakes not working and tyres not having any grip. I have some brake pads and tyres on order so should be able to get a better idea next week.

lightfighter762
    Free Member

Still looks good in 2021!

Kryton57

Nice work OP!

On the subject of re-cycling bikes, I polished and fixed up my 17″ Enigma Ego 26er today for Junior, who is growing out of his Whyte 403. Its a 13″ VS A 17″ and lengthy frame but he seems to fit OK with the seat slammed and its saved me buying new one or two as he grows quickly. It has a 2012 XT setup on it which still works perfectly!

I wonder how long it’ll be to hear “…but all my friends have 29” wheels… 😀

endomick
    Free Member

No offence but I thought you put that cockpit on for a joke on your first post.

thols2

No offence but I thought you put that cockpit on for a joke on your first post.

I did, but the child who wanted to help me put it together likes it and insists that it stays that way.

kimbers
    thols2

@kimbers
    Yes, I was thinking the same thing, but those are bloody expensive. With the saddle right forward in the rails, it’s bearable on climbs. It’s really only meant to be a hack bike so not a big deal if it’s a bit leisurely on climbs.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Finally got my dream bike’ is closed to new replies.