Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 91 total)
  • Finally getting round to it – PPI
  • molgrips
    Free Member

I definitely had PPI on an Egg card back in the day, which was bought by Barclaycard. Now on Barclays’ website it asks you to make a case as to why you thought you were mis-sold. Fair enough. But this could be easily contested of course.

Question is, is it worth involving one of those dodgy sounding PPI claim companies? do they really handle it all for you? It’s unclear if Barclaycard bought the business or just the cardholders and their debts.. which might not make them liable.

nonk
    Free Member

I used a north east based company called fast track they were great
    Kept me informed and claimed a load of stuff back cost me 23% but I did almost nothing at all
    Wouldn’t have bothered otherwise

yamyamblade
    Free Member

I claimed for my egg card direct and completed the form they sent me, no contest and cheque arrived for about £600 with the majority being goodwill/interest on the actual PPI payments I made, this was about 3 years ago so can’t help you with how to contact them but do not go to one of those firms as they skim off a large percentage for filling in a simple form.

I just stated I remembered the guy on the phone stating if I didn’t take PPI there was a good chance my application wasn’t successful which was true.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I had a girl form Barclays on the phone years ago because of some other query, she asked if I knew there was something on the account that had PPI but I ignored it, Always bugs me now so I think I might let one of these companies chase it down, just for piece of mind for one thing.

Drac

Barclay’s is the easiest to deal with they didn’t question mine and took just over a week to reimburse me quite a considerable amount.

jam-bo

https://www.barclaycard.co.uk/personal/make-a-ppi-complaint

been meaning to do this for ages. thanks for prompting.

just done the online PPI form. took 5-10mins. I don’t think I actively signed up for any PPI scheme when I was with Egg but from what I’ve read that doesn’t mean they didn’t sign you up.

legend
    Free Member

I’m in a similar position too, went through the process with Northern Rock but got to a similar question that I couldn’t really asnwer. This thread has also just reminded me that theres a chance I actually had cover through Egg at the same time – sounds like I should get back on it!

jam-bo

I was just suitably vague with some of the questions that I didn’t know the answers too. I figure they’ll be in touch if they want more detail.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m now not sure if I was actually mis-sold.

I remember being asked if I wanted it, and I said yes. I don’t remember it being a condition of acceptance – this was something like 2000 or 2001. It wasn’t made clear that it wouldn’t pay out if I became self employed, which was a possibility at the time, but then again I don’t remember T&Cs.

I probably had it on a Barclays graduate loan but I have no recollection either way, or of any conversation around it. And I can’t fill in the box on the Barclays form as to why I think I was mis-sold.

Barclay’s is the easiest to deal with they didn’t question mine

What did you put on the form?

jam-bo

“I don’t know if I had PPI insurance, but I did not actively take out or agree to any policies”

hora
    Free Member

That’s a point. I had a egg card. NatWest told I never had a PPI on my student overdrafts etc. I’m dubious about this.
    Should I just use a company like fast track?

senorj

Just done this.
    I called the card provider(s). Spent five to ten minutes to get through to a person.registered complaint.
    They ask a few questions,send you a form to fill in. They give you a call if you don’t return form !
    Then complete form over the phone….
    Much cheaper than 20% of what you’re owed.

Drac

Something along the lines of the PPI not being fully explained to me, I had sickness cover at work and I’d remained in contious employment.

theotherjonv

also a possibility in the small print that if you had savings, or your partner was in employment, or …. then they wouldn’t pay out until all those were exhausted. So even though you may have willingly agreed to it, in some cases you bought something you could never have used which also therefore counts as miss-selling

frankconway

Don’t use a claims company; they’re leeches.
    It’s easy to make a claim and you get 100% if the reimbursement.
    As for wording something along the lines of ‘….not appropriate for me’.
    I used the template from Money Saving Expert; go to their website to see how simple it really is.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

What kind of products had PPI on them? I’m struggling to think what I could have had…

phiiiiil

Whatever you decide to do, could everybody just get on with it so they might finally stop all the infuriating texts and phone messages pestering the rest of us?

jam-bo

What kind of products had PPI on them? I’m struggling to think what I could have had…

ones where you made payments… 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

Something along the lines of the PPI not being fully explained to me, I had sickness cover at work and I’d remained in contious employment.

Hm – did you try and claim?

It wasn’t made clear to me that it wouldn’t pay out if I’d been self employed and then subsequently not. What happened was that I’d lost my job, got a contract (normal in IT) then not been able to find another. So technically still employed by my own ltd copmany. They didn’t pay out because of that. So I guess that counts as not having had it fully explained. However at the time I took it out I was employed, so at that point it was ok.

Houns

The only one I didn’t willingly take out was for my first car through Citroen finance back in 1999. Of course I have no paperwork or details now so I don’t know which bank/finance company provided the cover via Citroen back then. Anyone know?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

So I had a car from Ford, a mortgage from the B&B, that kind of thing, I aslways asked for it not to have PPI though.

As above though, do you just have to look at your credit history and write a letter to everyone?

reformedfatty
    Free Member

As a sensible person, when I took out a small loan and was offered PPI, I considered the likelihood of me needing it – what would I do if I suddenly had no income, and decided I didn’t need it.

Can I get a refund on the road bike I bought and have hardly used? they sold it to me without so much as a hmm do you really need that?

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

I just stated I remembered the guy on the phone stating if I didn’t take PPI there was a good chance my application wasn’t successful which was true.

Egg mentioned that to me too. I pointed out that as I was self employed, their T&Cs stated they would only pay out if I went bankrupt.
    They gave me the loan anyway.

cb

If claiming for things such as an Egg card – do yo uhave all your policy numbers etc? I had a mortgage with Halifax that I imagine had some kind of protection on but they refuse to help without all the document numbers. I don’t have any of them any longer.

jimdubleyou

As a sensible person, when I took out a small loan and was offered PPI, I considered the likelihood of me needing it – what would I do if I suddenly had no income, and decided I didn’t need it.

I was told when I took out my graduate loan that I would not be able to get the loan without PPI. At that point, I hadn’t even had a wage – just the promise of a job.

frankconway

@molgrips: see link below; section headed ‘Can I reclaim’ queries; FAQ ‘My lender has been taken over. Can I still reclaim’. Short answer is yes. Egg referred to specifically.
    Banks have largely given up challenging customers; if you paid PPI, make a claim, state that PPI was not appropriate for you and/or was not fully explained; sit back and wait for cheque.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/ppi-loan-insurance#step2

@cb: you are not blocked from making a claim if you have not have policy/account number.
    As above, follow the link and then go back to Halifax unless you’re happy to pass on a refund of your money.

Do not, under any circumstances, use a claims company – they do not any special skills to get a result that you could not achieve by using a downloadable template. Unless of course you want to give them 30%………

spacemonkey

I’ve a load of accounts I keep meaning to pursue. If unsure of PPI usage, do I not have to make a £10 SAR claim to each lender asking them to release all relevant details?

Drac

Hm – did you try and claim?

Claim misold yes a claim on PPI no but never needed to.

legend
    Free Member

Here we go then. Egg CC claim started on Barlcays website, and template letter downloaded for North Rock (or what’s left at N-RAM)

flanagaj
    Free Member

This whole PPI thing is a great big joke. I am no fan of the banks, but it’s no surprise that all of them are getting hammered. PPI claims should have been stopped years ago and the banks can finally put it to bed. No, I haven’t bothered to claim and if I didn’t read the small print and am owed cash that is my mistake.

Drac

No, I haven’t bothered to claim and if I didn’t read the small print and am owed cash that is my mistake.

What if they told you it’s the only way you will get a certain rate or be accepted?

Many were lied to or I was told I needed it when clearly I didn’t.

lunge

I was contacted by HSBC years ago who said to me that I had taken out PPI but they were unsure of the legality, would I like them to investigate. I said yes, 2 months later I received an apologetic e-mail and a rather nice cheque that covered the cost of the policy and has some healthy compensation too. It was that easy.

I’ve just filled in the claim for an ancient Barclaycard I took out as a student, no idea if I had PPI, worse case they say no.

frankconway

@flanagaj: agree that PPI claims should have been stopped years ago – but they weren’t. PPI is not and was not a great big joke; it was fraud – fraudulent selling, stretching the truth with regard to coverage/benefits to you the customer, deliberate mis-selling in many cases, selling to customers who would not be eligible to claim because of their personal circumstances.
    Five minutes of your time to submit a claim using a downloadable template but it’s your decision.
    The banks rejected a suggestion that they automatically refund all customers who had PPI – irrespective of how it was sold to them. That would have a very large one time hit to close the matter. They declined which is why it hasn’t been put to bed and claims companies continue to leech from the uninformed; 30% for sending a letter? Don’t mind if I do, thanks.

P-Jay
    Free Member

flanagaj – Member

This whole PPI thing is a great big joke. I am no fan of the banks, but it’s no surprise that all of them are getting hammered. PPI claims should have been stopped years ago and the banks can finally put it to bed. No, I haven’t bothered to claim and if I didn’t read the small print and am owed cash that is my mistake.

As a very, very good former seller of PPI type products, rest assured whilst they were a “great big joke” the joke was very much on the consumer.

They were massively over-sold, they were massively miss-sold and more importantly I think – they never helped customers, they helped the banks. It was an insurance against a customer having a ‘major lifestyle event’ if such cases the banks are duty bound to accept an ‘arrangement’ from their customers for the full period of the ‘event’ that’s how consumer finance works you offer a set of circumstances and they offer a repayment if things go wrong, we all act like grownups and work through it – but they give the impression that one missed payment and it’s bailiffs, blacklists and bankruptcy to see the insurance, it meant a lot of suffering on the part of customers who buried their head in the sand through fear when they lost jobs etc. and for the most part meant that people with PPI actually fared worse than people without when things went wrong.

My personal opinion is that if you had PPI, you were miss sold, no one in possession of all the facts would ever buy it, and even someone who’s business it was to sell it (me) was never told the full facts during the years it was big business. Use whatever justification you think we give you the best result, you can’t apply morals when dealing with such immoral organisations – and don’t feel too sorry for them, they write off staggering amounts each year as provisions for PPI, far more than they pay out – they’re avoiding a lot of tax because of it.

frankconway

@P-Jay: your post says it all.

wwaswas

Barclays doing an egg claim;

6 – Sorry, we’re having difficulties with your request. Please call us on 0345 600 2323 (from outside the UK, +44 247 684 2063) and quote error code 6

grr.

molgrips
    Free Member

Thanks P-Jay!

I’ve only had two loans.. I think maybe one did have PPI but not sure. Will try and find out.

cooligan
    Free Member

I’ve recently discovered that I’ve been paying around £10 per month for “redundancy cover” for an endowment Countrywide sold me in 1997…

I’ve been self employed for around 12 years and not paying Class 2 National Insurance, so there’s no way it would have paid out.

Does this type of cover get treated the same as PPI?

guitarhero
    Free Member

I got some miss-sold PPI back from BOS in 2001 ish before it became a thing.

Noticed because I saw they were taking payments despite saying I didn’t want it as I was not employed at the time so saw no benefit.

Turned out when completing the paperwork, they had asked for a signature in the PPI box anyway, and I had done so believing it was just part of the application form.

Sneaky (and a bit embarrassing)

Remeber it being a bit of a battle getting it back. Moved bank because of it

gray

I had PPI on a credit card and on a personal loan. When I took out the loan I was actually a (postgrad) student. I explained that my only income was my grant, which would stop in a few months. The person in the bank told me that (a) the PPI would pay out even though I was currently effectively on a fixed term contract, and (b) the loan would probably be declined if I didn’t agree to the PPI. I knew that (a) was not true (I read the small print), but because of (b) I agreed to it. That was mis-sold, and I have successfully claimed back the money.

The second was a credit card several years later. Then I was in a permanent job, and knowingly agreed to the PPI because I decided that I wanted it. I understood what I was buying. I didn’t end up making use of it, and a few years later I stopped it. I have not claimed this back. I imagine that I probably could, but I don’t think that that would be right, and I suppose it would be fraudulent to do so.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 91 total)

The topic ‘Finally getting round to it – PPI’ is closed to new replies.