Finally a decent affordable E Car

Viewing 7 posts - 81 through 87 (of 87 total)
  • Finally a decent affordable E Car
  • The ePug is a good looking car i think (subjective i know, but i think it is….)

I agree, it’s a nice looking car…but French cars have never had a reputation for good electrics, which is a minor annoyance when your brake lights flash when you operate an indicator, but potentially a bit more problematic when the whole car is electric!

I like the eGolf…reassuringly expensive as you’d expect from VW, but affordable for most people and is just a normal car, has enough range for the vast majority of people’s daily requirements negating the need for charging points every 100 metres, and a perfectly functional family car just like a Golf used to be considered to be before people decided their family demands three times more space to move them to the shopping mall and kids activities at the weekend. Heck, my mums Austin Mini made a perfectly functional family car back in the day.

ross980

Also you’re not comparing like for like, a £3k Honda is competing against that £12k BMW. A £4k electric bike is going to be more like the <£1k unknown brand mopeds from China.

Say what now???!!! 😂 A £3k Honda is competing against a £12k BMW… Er, nope 🤦.
    £3k is less than many people spend on bicycles. You’re talking commuter fodder which is cheaper to buy/run than buying car parking or a bus/tube season ticket for a couple of years. I’m not saying the £4k electric bike linked up the is actually any good, or more/less reliable/better etc. I’m just saying if someone has £3-4k to spend and they want the option of something that will do around 60mph and be either electric or petrol, then that’s a choice they can now make.

5lab

Given the electric golf you can buy right now (with a small battery and weedy drivetrain) is £32k, there is no way their next one is going to be under £25k, or broadly the same as the model 3

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

Given the electric golf you can buy right now (with a small battery and weedy drivetrain) is £32k, there is no way their next one is going to be under £25k, or broadly the same as the model 3

Purpose built, more produced, more sales and costs of batteries have come down will help reduce the price. I’d probably say nearer £25k then 20 especially since a certain vote shafted the UK.

Premier Icon gofasterstripes
    Subscriber

VW likely to have to subsidise their vehicles a bit to get people over dieselgate

Tesla’s batteries do NOT have greater range. They have larger, heavier packs.

My intention was not to start a willy-waggling war between EV owners over who has the biggest battery pack. Sorry if I hit a nerve.
    The Tesla pack in the 3 is 30% denser than the one in the S. That means more range for the weight (or less weight for the range) than would have been the case without the improvement. That means less material used which is better for the environment.
    I should note that the 3 weighs about 50% more than the i3, so comparisons of range is difficult. Comparing the weight and energy capacity of the battery packs alone would be more useful.

Don’t think those cars have dual clutch boxes do they? Though it was just Ford and VW?

Well they probably aren’t identical because of proprietary designs but transmissions under the general heading of dual clutch lots of gears are in all sorts. Hyundai, Mitsubishi, Porsche, toyota/subaru even some of the mahoosive trucks with more displacement than several cars put together and the ability to tow a midsized house north Americans are addicted to are starting to look at them.

Viewing 7 posts - 81 through 87 (of 87 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.