Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 87 total)
  • Finally a decent affordable E Car
  • fotorat
    Free Member
    Rubber_Buccaneer

Affordable?  That would wipe out my big house and loads of bikes budget

Drac

$35,000? I’ll pass thanks.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Polstar FTW.

taxi25
    Free Member

Uk price to be released. Expected to be £40,000+. Cheaper yes but a long way from affordable for most people.

Drac

Meanwhile.

Estimated between £19k and £22k

wind-bag
    Free Member

That Model 3 is gopping, at least VW considered the styling…

parkesie
    Free Member

Hyundai kona Kia Niro

Drac

Hyundai kona Kia Niro

£33k for a Kia 😲

oldnpastit

I had a go in one in California a couple of weeks ago.

The interior is a bit drab but it’s an amazing vehicle.

It just keeps accelerating. Put your foot down and it just keeps getting faster (until I chickened out!).

The regenerative braking is nice as well – I know it sounds lame, but not having to move your foot from the accelerator in order to slow down is strangely liberating.

And the self-driving – well, I didn’t have the courage to try it for more than a few seconds but I can see it being a huge help on long journeys assuming you trust it.

I’d definitely be tempted to get one.

Drac

Put your foot down and it just keeps getting faster

My god that’s inspirational.

darthpunk
    Free Member

Once they get the range sorted out, i’d happily switch to electric, but not at 35k I wouldn’t

phil5556

at least VW considered the styling…

Will it actually look like that when it comes though? Because, assuming this is actually it, it doesn’t look the same shape

as this

phil5556

Although the more I look at it actually it’s not far off…..

Drac

It’s almost as if they were disguising the looks until releasing that photo.

rone

Really hate the massive tablet on the console on this one, it looks stupid.

Price doesn’t seem bad our Kia soul EV is about £28,000 less incentives.

(We lease)

oldnpastit

Put your foot down and it just keeps getting faster

My god that’s inspirational.

Yes, perhaps I shouldn’t become a motoring journalist after all.

With an old-skool internal-combustion engine you have to keep changing gear to keep it in the band of revs the engine can cope with. There’s no gear change, no discernible change in torque, it just keeps accelerating.

Drac

Yes, perhaps I shouldn’t become a motoring journalist after all.

With an old-skool internal-combustion engine you have to keep changing gear to keep it in the band of revs the engine can cope with. There’s no gear change, no discernible change in torque, it just keeps accelerating.

I knewvwhat you meant I have a hybrid there’s no hesitation between gears but that might be a DSG thing too.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Won’t do 9000 miles on a charge and tow an elephant I’m out.

philjunior
    Free Member

phil5556

Although the more I look at it actually it’s not far off…..

Yeah, swap the wheels and you’re about there (if you take off the camouflage)

scruff9252

I am quite seriously thinking about getting an electric scooter thins summer – £1,200 to buy, 30mph top speed, 70km to a charge, no “road tax”, nothing to really fail on a MOT and supposedly around 1p/mile motoring

mopedy fun

bikebouy
    Free Member

I like the look of the Golf.

Thats a proper vehicle for the masses right there.

Thank God someone had the foresight to make a car for the people eh 🤪

Will there be any alternatives when that comes out?

Doubt it.

Still, someone has to build a charging infrastructure and we’ll all be buying one…

Just saying.

winston
    Free Member

“I knewvwhat you meant I have a hybrid there’s no hesitation between gears but that might be a DSG thing too.”

No – its an electric car thing. I have both and the full electric is very different to drive.

Drac

Doubt it.

Nissan, BMW, Kia and Renault for starters.

siwhite
    Free Member

Why can’t anyone build one of these things with a decent boot? Estate version of the VW thing unlikely I’d imagine – a major barrier to anyone with children / dogs / hobbies…

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I fancy a Sono Sion, it being covered in solar cells is a gimmick, but it’s the first car with built in inverter tech so you can now power your house vehicle to home whenever the car is at home. So either you can use off peak tariff Lecky or if you’re fortunate enough free Lecky courtesy of your employer or local supermarket. You can also directly plug in household appliances for camping trips and outdoors DIY. All the seats incl front fold down flat so you have a mini van.

I can’t see me ever owning a saloon car again, but the Tesla model Y might interest me.

rossburton
    Free Member

The regenerative braking is nice as well – I know it sounds lame, but not having to move your foot from the accelerator in order to slow down is strangely liberating.

FWIW the Nissan Leaf does that too, and it’s not £40K.

Drac

I think they pretty much all do, it is pretty cool.

jairaj

“Finally a decent affordable E Car

Model 3”

While on paper they look competitive they fail to meet expectations in reality. The interior looks great in photos but in real life poking it about it feels poor quality for the price. Recent buyers are compiling lots about reliability and quality control. Have they fixed their supply issue yet? Or are there still large delays? The self driving stuff is not robust enough. And that price when it lands in the UK will be too high for your average Joe/Jo.

“I knewvwhat you meant I have a hybrid there’s no hesitation between gears but that might be a DSG thing too.”

No – its an electric car thing. I have both and the full electric is very different to drive.”

Dunno … might be a DSG thing?

I had a loan of a BMW 535d GT with an auto box for a few months and that had a similar feeling when accelerating at low to mid pace. It would tick up the gears and you’d barely feel the gear changes and the drop in acceleration and engine revs. Dunno what box it had CVT or BMW’s version of DSG? At faster pace it would rev higher and although the changes were very smooth you could = feel the engine revving up and down the rev range. But at low paces it just felt like one smooth phase of acceleration.

phil5556

Yeah, swap the wheels and you’re about there (if you take off the camouflage)

The zebra print makes it look a bit taller and squarer, but I think it might just be the camouflage having it’s desired affect.

mrmo
    Free Member

Until they figure out how to do on street parking/charging I am out.

cromolyolly
    Free Member

Well the Tesla has about the most environmentally friendly batteries going. Energy dense, reduced cobalt, etc. If you are going for and environmentally friendly vehicle, spend the extra and get a good one.

matt_outandabout

I want a go on one of these.

keithb

I think BMW use old skool torque converter gearboxes, albeit very good ones.  Which suggests they would be super smooth with 9 gears to keep the rev drop minimal between gears .

Could be wrong though, it’s hard to get that sort of info beyond auto/manual.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Doubt it.

Nissan, BMW, Kia and Renault for starters.

Sarcasm isnt one one of your strong points is it Drac.

Nice car though.

Looks like a decent design shift in motor vehicles, I’m all for that..

Drac

Sarcasm isnt one one of your strong points is it Drac.

No, I don’t have a reputation for that at all.

maxtorque

I’ve been driving an “affordable EV” for nearly 3 years now! (second hand i3 😉 )

tuboflard

I’d like to be able to seriously consider an EV for commuting when I need to take the car but charging infrastructure in Sheffield is woefully bad and as I live on a main road without any off street parking, within a week I’d have an expensive car with no means of charging parked up out front other than trailing a mains cable across the pavement. Without local authorities taking seriously the investment needed to encourage people to convert then I’m afraid people will stick with their ICE’s.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘Finally a decent affordable E Car’ is closed to new replies.