Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 96 total)
  • Films where a remake wouldn't be totally sacrilegious
  • CountZero

Point Break

Just… No!

CountZero

They should never remake any films. It’s just lazy.

There are plenty of films that, while worth watching, can be improved in some way, and plenty that were hopelessly compromised by demands of the studio, or all sorts of other issues.
    If you honestly think that the movie of Zelazney’s novel Damnation Alley shouldn’t be remade by a director with more than a couple of brain cells to rub together, then I’ll happily wee in your boots!
    Zelazney demanded every reference to any connection with him or his book to be removed, quite rightly, too, ‘cos it’s utter shite!
    The book, however, is a very good after-the-apocalypse story, with a good anti-hero lead, the last of the Hells Angels, a small detail the studio couldn’t cope with so they made him a white bread, all-American clean-cut hero.

RustySpanner

Easy Rider could stand a remake.

A decent version of An American Werewolf In Paris would be welcome.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Step away from Dune

Best.film.ever

We were discussing the new Dune at work today and how infinitely better it could be than the original. A colleague claimed “I could do better – even if I made it in Excel” :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

M*A*S*H once Trump starts another war in Korea

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OjcsvH2KnI[/video]

Tri-X
    Free Member

2001 – untouchable

The Forbidden planet – remake might be interesting

angeldust
    Free Member

Take/correct some of the obviously terrible parts out of the Stars Wars prequel trilogy and you could have something pretty good.

deadkenny
    Free Member

angeldust – Member 
    Take/correct some of the obviously terrible parts out of the Stars Wars prequel trilogy and you could have something pretty good.

Already been cut into a single 135 minute film in one fan edit. Not watched it and not sure it removes the awful stuff but it’s condensed and apparently still keeps the narrative.

[video]https://youtu.be/qS0E0A1gJqU[/video]
    (surprised that’s still up on YT).

Others have cut out the worst bits from each film and cut them down to half the length.

funkmasterp

The hobbit. Give it to Del Toro and make it one film. So disappointing after LotR 😥

Any of the current DC movies

Any Stephen King horror movie. It’s odd how most of his other books have been made in to pretty good films.

Allen 3 with the original script.

I think Dune would be better as a TV series.

epicsteve
    Free Member

At the end of Firefox they promised us Firefox Down. Still waiting.

I preferred the Firefox Down book to the Firefox one.

shermer75
    Free Member

They should remake Beastmaster so that it’s as scary and exciting as my 8 year old self thought it was rather than the cheap and cheasy mush it actually is

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

How about Cujo?

But rather than a Ford Pinto and a St. Bernard, a Vauxhall Corsa and a Staffordshire bull terrier.

mikey74
    Free Member

Easy Rider and M*A*S*H? Get the hell out.

I know they are trying to do this but the while Godzilla series would be good. The last one was actually pretty good, and certainly far better than the previous drivel

shermer75
    Free Member

How about Cujo?

But rather than a Ford Pinto and a St. Bernard, a Vauxhall Corsa and a Staffordshire bull terrier.

You mean in an ‘Attack the Block’ kind of vibe? I’d love to see that.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

The Last Starfighter

jekkyl

Killer Klowns from outer space!
    [video]https://youtu.be/suXtD1Kk-xE[/video]

jimjam
    Free Member

atlaz

Are they really that low on ideas in Hollywood?

rene59 – Member

Yes. [/quote]

I don’t believe they are. It’s more a case of movies becoming increasingly expensive effects driven affairs meaning studios are much less willing to take risks. A remake will already have a pre-installed fan base and will generate its own hype in addition to being (generally) a formula which is proven to work. The desire to launch big franchises compounds the problem.

There are still original ideas out there, but the gap between small films and big films is now a grand canyon. Studios don’t want to risk 250 million dollars on a wildcard idea when they can continue to churn out safe, predictable, derivative dog shit and people will still flock to it because the hype machine is now more relevant than any reviewer.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

You mean in an ‘Attack the Block’ kind of vibe? I’d love to see that.

Yeah, that would work 🙂

I might get in touch with Hollywood!

edhornby

Not a remake but a sequel to the (original proper) Italian job where the gold goes out of the back and they go to get it back would be ace, not with modern cars though

DezB
    Free Member

Surely it would be crap films that they could improve, not classics like Easy Rider etc.
    Like Ghost in the Shell 😆
    How about some of the 70s Sinbad films. Classic as the Harryhousen animation was, imagine some of those monsters done with proper CGI…
    [video]https://youtu.be/mzGw_4sCjfc[/video]

Is Ferris Bueller supposed to some kind of great film? Saw it at the cinema originally and it was ok iirc, it was on the other night and I found it unwatchable. So badly dated. So yeah, remake that rubbish 😆

hols2
    Free Member

johnx2
    Free Member

^ most films involving Sting could be improved by a remake without him. Stormy Monday, Brimstone & Treacle, Plenty, Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrels – need I go on?

But that would mean losing the famous ‘plank versus plank’ scene with Vinny Jones. You’d have to cast Woody Woodpecker and Woody the Woodman, coached by Edwood WoodWood to get anywhere close…

jamj1974

Is Ferris Bueller supposed to some kind of great film? Saw it at the cinema originally and it was ok iirc, it was on the other night and I found it unwatchable. So badly dated. So yeah, remake that rubbish

DezB. So many opinions in common and then this…

derek_starship
    Free Member

I just shivered at the thought of Dirty Harry being rebooted.

But if they did…..who?

@Rob Hilton: Dune.xls. That’s funny.

jimjam
    Free Member

derek_starship – Member

I just shivered at the thought of Dirty Harry being rebooted.

But if they did…..who?

Your head would say someone with screen prescence, a bit of maturity and gravitas and someone who could believably kick a lot of asses. But in the real world of Hollywood remakes they’d probably aim to get the teen market in, and they’d need someone pretty young so he could do all the various sequels a burgeoning franchise implies. So probably Zac Effron or similar. Unless they’d take a gamble and change Harry’s ethnicity so you’d get Michael B. Jordan or something.

Cougar

It’d probably be someone like Tom Hardy.

I properly laughed at the notion of a Bad Boy Bubby remake…

jimjam
    Free Member

Cougar

It’d probably be someone like Tom Hardy.

Dirty Harry ias a grumbly midget? How about Michael Fassbender.

nickc

Star Wars…

Oh no, wait…

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Quatermass and the pit

With the pit being Leyland with Jason Manford as Quatermass

Nipper99
    Free Member

The Cruel Sea, with all the bits from the novel. The original is great but the grimness of The Battle of the Atlantic is often overlooked.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Jack Reacher remade using an actor who is actually 6ft 4 not 5ft and a bit pretending to be 6 ft 4 .

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

DezB, please delete your account.

(Edited, as there was no call for politeness)

drlex
    Free Member

Seems like Ferris Bueller did get a remake a few years ago-
    [video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tKJPCXZ5gDs[/video]

jimjam
    Free Member

Ramsey Neil

Jack Reacher remade using an actor who is actually 6ft 4 not 5ft and a bit pretending to be 6 ft 4 .

A lot is made in the books about how tall Jack Reacher is, to the point where it’s almost absurd, and it wouldn’t really work in a film if you had a gigantic muscle bound figure towering over all of his assailants. It would look silly very quickly. If you had a huge, physically intimidating ex soldier/badass who is going to challenge him? Who would want to fight him?

In the books the author often points out that Reacher is fighting people his size or bigger – so to create threat in the film does he need to constantly fight people 6’8 or more?

Basically, the actor’s height really isn’t a valid criticism of the film. “Jack Reacher” isn’t a historical documentary.

DezB
    Free Member

Oh dear, I’ve upset the want-it-too-still-be-the-80s saddos with my questioning their taste 😆

Merak

Firefox

jamj1974

DezB – Member
    Oh dear, I’ve upset the want-it-too-still-be-the-80s saddos with my questioning their taste

Not upset, Dez. Just disappointed…

😉

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

@jimjam. If you make a film named after a character from a series ]of books who’s large size is his defining characteristic then surely you should get somebody of similar size to play him . Otherwise they may as well re-make King Kong but just use a chimpanzee .

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Prince Kong

hols2
    Free Member

If you had a huge, physically intimidating ex soldier/badass who is going to challenge him? Who would want to fight him?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 96 total)

The topic ‘Films where a remake wouldn't be totally sacrilegious’ is closed to new replies.