Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)
  • Films that you have never seen despite really wanting to watch them
  • ransos
    Free Member

I think as a work of satire it’s better than Robocop although obviously not as iconic, but similar in that at first glance it’s just at action movie but of course in reality it’s much cleverer than that.

Yeah, I remember saying something similar to my girlfriend when we saw it at the cinema. In reality the main attraction was Denise Richards.

Caher

Once Upon a Time in America. Loved the Godfather so should like it.

jca

I finally got around to watching Natural Born Killers on Prime Video a few weeks ago, even for Tarantino, I found it a bit out there

Not a true Tarantino film – he only wrote it, directed by Oliver Stone.

Probably ended up more restrained than if he did the whole thing himself!

jon1973
    Free Member

Not a true Tarantino film – he only wrote it, directed by Oliver Stone.

Probably ended up more restrained than if he did the whole thing himself!

Yes, I think it would have been a very different film if Tarantino had directed it.
    Probably much better.

I did like it when it first came out, kind of fell for the hype really.

But rewatching it, it felt like it was just trying far to hard to be clever and had a pretence of being a comment on violence in society and the MTV generation, when in reality it was desperately trying to cash in on that culture by being as violent as possible because that’s what people wanted at the time.

I don’t have a problem with violence in films. Far from it. I like most of the stuff Tarantino has directed because at least there’s not pretence about his work. It is what it is.

IHN

Once Upon a Time in America. Loved the Godfather so should like it.

From memory, and it’s been a long time, I thought the same, but it was actually a fairly dull 3+ hours

colournoise

Pan’s Labyrinth (big Del Toro fan – I even like Pacific Rim – and bought it on DVD as soon as it came out, just never found the right headspace to sit sown and watch it).

Straw Dogs / The Wild Bunch

Interstellar

Probably loads of others too, but these spring straight to mind.

dhague

Until this evening I had never seen “Singin’ in the Rain”. On a whim, Mrs dhague and I decided to watch it, even though we both hate musicals. It’s absolutely bloody brilliant and a fantastic feel-good music, dance & romcom tonic for the times we’re in.

Merak

Blade Runner #notseen

Merak

Nil By Mouth #seen is fantastic but not in uplifting way. Very much like Tyrannosaur #seen..

Merak

Also We need to talk about Kevin. Not seen that but the main protagonists v much appeal.

Superficial
    Free Member

I know what you mean. Often the very critically acclaimed films are kinda hard work. The really good ones manage to be very watchable as well as deep, though, and most of the films mentioned in this thread are pretty easy to watch.

I haven’t seen any bad films mentioned here, though I must admit I gave up on Withnail and I (before it got good?).

I’ve been meaning to watch Platoon / Full Metal Jacket / The Deer Hunter but never seem to get around to them.

Philby

Schindler’s List – I’ve had it recorded for over a year and am never in quite the right move to watch it knowing that it’s likely to be a tough watch.

mrchrist

I think you need to watch these films when they come out and avoid the hype.

I remember watching Citizen Kane and thinking I was a bit dull.

Caught up with some uni mates at the weekend and they all said the new top gun was amazing… Need to get that watched asap then.

IHN

I think the thing with Citizen Kane is that, when it came out, it was completely groundbreaking. Many of the camera, editing, storytelling and direction techniques had never been used before and people were blown away. But, as is always the way, stuff that was groundbreaking once soon becomes the norm, and then passé, so the original impact is lost.

kennyp
    Free Member

I’ve been meaning for ages to watch Interstellar. Is it as good as they say, or over-hyped and up its own backside?

misteralz
    Free Member

I still haven’t seen Goncharov.

Kuco

I found Interstellar pretty shit and hyped and just didn’t enjoy it but others like it.

I say everything is worth watching the once other than the film Happening, just don’t go anywhere near it.

clubby

Caught up with some uni mates at the weekend and they all said the new top gun was amazing… Need to get that watched asap then.

No, you need to find a better friend group.
    It Was awful. Not in the good awful way, just plane awful. Thankfully the Mrs had a free Paramount+ trial to use, so it didn’t cost us any actual money.

My problem with most critically acclaimed films is that I just don’t find them entertaining.
    Three Billboards was well written and acted etc, but I didn’t enjoy it as such. Older groundbreaking films are the same, probably because I’ve seen too many more enjoyable films that have copied their traits but done it better.

Not seen lots of the films listed above, but can’t say there’s any I really want to.

Cougar

just plane awful.

Well, it is Top Gun.

chainbreaker
    Free Member

Blade Runner – I watched the sequel the other day, which probably ruins it for me..

I wouldn’t worry, I’d say blade runner 2049 is a better film than the original.

I never watched schindler’s list for a long time because I knew it would be a tough watch. Watched it the other night and I was right. A masterpiece of a film though.

halifaxpete

Another one that wants to watch Schindlers list, though it’d be just the once I’m sure, Like 12 years a slave was. Great film but bloody grim.

Jackie Brown too. I’m a Tarantino fan but never seen that one.

vazaha

If you’ve never been able to quite bring yourself to watch Schindler’s List, wait until you can’t summon the fortitude to watch Shoah.

Watching Shoah very nearly got me into physical violence against an Holocaust denier when it was broadcast in the 80’s on Channel 4.

I encourage all to watch either or both if you have seen neither – some things need to be known, and on a visceral level that both offer.

rOcKeTdOg

Blues brothers

rOcKeTdOg

One to watch and avoid as some of the scenes are quite frankly sickening is The Captain

Given it’s a German made film the scenes in the prison camp with ww2 wermacht deserters is harrowing and shocking.

finephilly
    Free Member

Mainly the 1950/60’s classics like ‘It’s a wonderful life’. There must be a couple of Hitchcock and Cohen brothers films outstanding. I can recommend’LA Confidential’ and ‘Dr Strangelove’ though.

Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.