Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 83 total)
  • Films that wrecked my childhood
  • FuzzyWuzzy

I watched the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre when I was 9 or 10, that didn’t help with the sleeping :p
    Only other thing that really gave me nightmares (think I was about 12) was the Creepshow one with the thing in the crate, I guess because it escapes at the end…

duntstick
    Free Member

This

xc-steve
    Free Member

Although watching them now I find it quite entertaining, when I was little these guys scared the crap out of me!

And we watched it every Christmas!

stevomcd
    Free Member

Wooooooooooohahaha!

Loved it!

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

Let me see, there were a few. I watched a fair few scary films/tv shows growing up but only a handful stuck with me or genuinely gave me chills.

The Twightlight Zone: Shadow Man

Twighlight zone the Movie, Terror at 20000 ft segment

The space baby mutant thing from “V”.

Crows picking the eyes from dead knights in Excalibur…..there are a few others, I’m sure of it but they just are’nt sprining to mind yet.

The-Beard

No one scared of Zelda?

I bloody well was…

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

‘Birds’ has fecked me for life, 28 years later I still don’t like birds in enclosed spaces , I was about 10 or 11 when I watched those seagulls go down the zipwire into the phone box!

That & tales of the unexpected, some of those were scary for a pre pubescent, but later on…

StuE
    Free Member

Not a film but the Doomwatch episode with the rats, you will have to be VV old to remember

project
    Free Member

Doom watch with the rats, and the toilet seat lid rises and falls down and then all of a sudden you see the rats head, would never go in the toilet for years if the seat was down, then i got some rats and they bred and i ended up with 48 of them , lovely little things they where, well recomended.

apparentlyodd
    Free Member

Labyrinth….with David Bowie…..the puppets were damn scary, they just popped up out of no where at any given time!!!!!!! :'(

flatback
    Free Member

the day of the trifids, scared me to death i was going to go blind if i went outside

emac65
    Free Member

Night Of The Demon,watched it when I was around 7 or 8.The scene where a bloke’s being chased through the woods by some invisible beast that just leaves huge smoking footprints gave me nightmares for years…..

SST
    Free Member

From when I was a kid . . . .

Jaws – To this day I still make sure I’m not the furthest person out to sea when I swim – so that someone else is easier shark bait than me. I even view big swimming pools with suspicion! 🙂

Dr Who – Some of the Jon Pertwee episodes with “The Master” scared me when I was 10. There was one about witchcraft in particular, but also the one where the maniquins came alive and had guns that came out of their hinged wrists 🙁

The Texas Chainsaw Masacare – Watched it at a friends and he had to walk me home at midnight afterwards! I was about 16. Slept with the light on for a week after that 🙂

MrNutt
    Free Member

triffids
    jaws
    building sites bite
    apaches
    jimmmmmmmmeeeee!

and that dark blooding horror public service advert for not swimming in cold lakes “we don’t go there, not since the accident”

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Invasion of the Bodysnatchers- the one with Donald Sutherland where the pods of the Boxer dog and his owner get damaged and the juices mix- result is boxer dog with man’s face- can’t look at a Boxer dog now without thinking of that.

RustySpanner

Dead of Night.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_of_Night

Remember watching this as a kid with my mum during school holidays.

You will never be able to be in the same room as a ventriloquists dummy again!

Still a brilliant film now, although the accents are a bit ‘cut glass’.

MrNutt
    Free Member

oh, eraserhead!

mt
    Free Member

The Omega Man, Pretty scarey I felt made me really scared of the night for a while, yes I know it’s a shit film but right time right age.

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

As per SRO earlier, i’m sure this messed with many kids heads back in the day!!

eldridge
    Free Member

Brief Encounter

Taught me, too early, that women don’t want sex, they want security

Andy

Has to be JAWS – love swimming, and water generally, but since that film I still get horrors in open water when I cant see the bottom.

Couple of years ago taking a 40ft yacht cross channel in a dead calm we motored over a bit of fishing net and fouled our prop.

Stationary with no wind so we couldn’t sail out. We were in the middle of one of the shipping lanes. Radar showed 3 large vessels on intercept, about 4 miles or 10 mins away, each of them might not see us and run us down (one bloke on the bridge and he’s on the loo trous round his ankles, reading the Daily Star). Over the side i went to cut clear the prop.

I wasn’t too concerned about the cold water, the oncoming big ships, or the swell causing the boat to bounce up and down on top of me. I was really worried about 400ft of water beneath me and what might be in it. Damn that film, I never moved so fast and was relieved to be out of the water. And I wet the bed that night and had nightmares for a couple of weeks afterwards.

All purely based on the terror of swimming in open water and that fish 😯

Never been bothered that much by any other film.

grumm
    Free Member

I watched Watership Down once when I was in hospital as a kid – really traumatised me. Made even worse by the fact that I couldn't watch until the relatively happy ending, so just assumed it carried on being as bleak and dark.

I only managed to watch it again recently and get through the whole thing.

edit: just noticed that Plague Dogs is made by the same people as Watership Down, evil bastards. Glad I never saw that as a kid.

vinnyeh

Midnight Express.
    In a misspent youth, no way would I touch narcotics in a foreign land.

KT1973
    Free Member

The Omen.
    F*cked me right up. 😯

finbar
    Free Member

Grum, i totally agree.

Watership Down is f**ked up. I can't understand why it's a kids film and im my opinion you'd have to be a sadist to knowingly get a child under ten to watch it.

I'm glad i've never seen Plague Dogs too.

Pook

The Exorcist at 10. One bit where the lights are flashing on and off and she's having a fit, her face turns into a devil face. It's still burned oon my retina..

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

The Exorcist
    La Cabina
    Doctor Who
    Tales of the Unexpected
    Hammer House of Horrors

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Also watched The Evil Dead as a 16 year old – I thought it was dead funny but it screwed my mate's head in so badly he couldn't sleep for days. One night he was left home alone by his dad and he made me stay with him until he fell asleep before I could let myself out and walk the 20 minutes back home at about midnight! Cheers Paul Cope for that one you great big girl's blouse. 🙂

enfht
    Free Member

Salem's Lot – Vampire two-part film

Threads – Post-nuclear war based in Sheffield

molgrips
    Free Member

The first scene in Robocop made a profound impression on me when I was about 13 or 14 ish. The sheer fatalistic despair of a good man being tormented and shot dozens of times by those nasty bullies really got to me.

Crap film of course – and that scene was only thrown in there as a prelude to a robot shooting baddies but that's how these things work. For the same reason I left the room when Reservoir Dogs was being shown, at age 20 or so. Still haven't seen it all, and have no intention to.

badnewz
    Free Member

There's a horrible rape scene in excaliber. Saw it when I was way too young.
    That put me off rape.

badnewz
    Free Member

Oh yeah and Scum that put me off male rape too.

roach

Anybody seen Society?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Society_(film)

Ok I was in my late teens, but it still fecked me up.

grievoustim
    Free Member

Robocop is not a crap film

it is wicked brills

ononeorange

Threads. Couldn't watch it all the way through.

The Sea Monsters in Dr Who. My dad told me they lived in my room at night and came out if I moved. I still sleep without moving.

westkipper
    Free Member

2001, mostly the scene at the end as the starchild appears. I'm still freaked out by foetuses and similar-looking babies to this day.
    There's a low budget British SF film called Xtro (which I must have seen at about 13ish) which had some fairly inventive, disturbing sequences.

DezB
    Free Member

My parents let me stay up and watch the end of "The Great Escape". I blubbed my eyes out when Donald Pleasance died. Can't remember how old I was but I do remember I was wearing a red Ladybird dressing gown. (With little ladybirds for buttons)

My dad had to be taken out of the cinema during the Wizard of Oz cos the flying monkeys scared him so much.

The first scene in Robocop … Crap film of course… I left the room when Reservoir Dogs was being shown, at age 20 or so. Still haven't seen it all, and have no intention to.

Robocop and Reservoir Dogs are both great films. Fact.

ChrisL

only the government safety films

I remember being terrified by one about rabies. Can't remember any of the details, just that it sounded like the most horrendous thing ever and we were really fortunate that it hadn't spread to the UK.

markfu
    Free Member

The Fog, when i was about 12, i watched it around a friend's house and had to walk home alone afterwards in… the fog. I love that film now though, a million times better than the remake.

There was one episode of Hammer House of Horror that terrified me as a child. It involved a hitchiker in a rain mac with a long finger nail :0/

robgarrioch

being terrified by one about rabies

That wouldn't be 'The Mad Death' would it, ChrisL? Don't know how my folks let me watch that, but it was gripping as well as terrifying. I'm sure it had a moment where someone opens a fridge to find a human head on a plate inside…. I think my reaction was: "AAaaaarrrgggghh, A F***ING HEAD ON A F***ING PLATE IN THE F***ING FRIDGE…" and not to open the fridge for about a fortnight!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 83 total)

The topic ‘Films that wrecked my childhood’ is closed to new replies.