Films that scared the **** out of you as an adult…

Home Forum Chat Forum Films that scared the **** out of you as an adult…

Viewing 45 posts - 1 through 45 (of 128 total)
  • Films that scared the **** out of you as an adult…
  • Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

As an adult?

Errmm! No nothing.

Premier Icon Rusty Spanner
    Subscriber

I thought the ending of The Blair With Project was really well done.

The Shining & Halloween did it for me too.

.Rec had me properly on the edge of my seat for the last half hour or so.

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

Pity it had to start, what an awful film.

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

I thought it was great when it finally ended.

banks

Signs scared the shit out of me, still does..

teasel
    Premier Icon unklehomered
    Subscriber

The Descent. Not so much scared as horrifically uncomfortable and quite keen to leave the cinema…

wilko1999

I hate to say it but The Grudge made me jump out of my skin on a number of occasions. My excuse is my missus was crapping herself and it made the atmosphere ten times more spoooOOOoooky

Also, the scene in The Ring (the original jap version) where the girl jerkily crawls out of the well, along and out of the telly made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up somewhat…

Premier Icon alfabus
    Subscriber

The orphanage (stupid sack faced kid!)

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

The Blair With Project scared the bejesus out of me. Especially when my lights died in Llandegla forest one night, and i stood there in total darkness, listening to the rustling in the trees around me. Its all I could think about 😯

rogg

+1 for the last 30 mins of .rec

Spare pair of pants and extra large sofa needed before I’ll watch that again.

Ooh, Audition as well. Not exactly scared, just… Uncomfortable, I guess.

rogg – Member
    +1 for the last 30 mins of .rec

Spare pair of pants and extra large sofa needed before I’ll watch that again.

Pretty good for a sequence where the screen is mostly black innit!

_tom_

Paranormal Activity 3 😆
    Rec was awesome, the whole thing scared me a lot but the ending was just horrible. Still haven’t made myself watch the bit where they poke the camera up into the attic!

Moses

Don’t Look Now.
    oldie but nasty, especially for parents

bigG

The Ring,, I still get nightmares

Rec

Poltergeist (I cannot look at a TV with just static on it, and I’m 44 so should know much better)

fogliettaz

Carrie, not so much scary but one scene does make you jump!

Dolcered

Borderland.

Apparantly based on a true story, still churns my stomach thinking about it. Never made it to the end.

Premier Icon richmtb
    Subscriber

+1 for the Descent

at one point while watching it I didn’t just jump, I jumped and made a noise!

david jey

On a non-horror (at least not conventional horror, lots of it is pretty damn horrifying) note, 1980s nuclear apocalypse mockumentary Threads.

Scared the beejesus out of me watching it a couple of years back. I think if I’d seen it in the 80s, with a still real threat of nuclear war, I would have headed for the Highlands and lived out life in a cave.

johndoh

I was a bit freaked by that Nicole Kidman one (well most of her films scare me) but the one in particular I mean is the one where they were all ghosts.

And one bit in that ‘I see dead people’ film where he is under the sheets with the little (dead) girl.

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

The Others?

The original Japanese film Dark Water really spooked me too.

mafiafish

The Descent

How can a film that had people caving with ice axes be scary? I thought it laughable. The ‘monsters’ weren’t even that scary either – just stay still and bash them with your unnecessary ice axe when they come trotting past.

yunki

anything with Tom Cruise in… that’s actually a real guy inside that costume.. 😯

johndoh

The Others?

Yeah that’s the one. Apparently BBFC admitted they got the age rating wrong on that – it was only a 12

MrSmith

paper house.

This one for me…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MCbTvoNrAg

The build-up is good but the action starts from 46 minutes.

I went to a midnight showing of Event Horizon when i was 18, not a good idea.

patriotpro

Paranormal Activity
    Grave Encounters
    Exorcism of Emily Rose
    Hellraiser 2
    The Ring (the bit in the well!!)
    Grudge 2 (Jap Version) The bit at the beginning where the thing is in the footwell of the car!!) *shudders*.

Premier Icon debaser
    Subscriber

Dog Soldiers – not at the time – but every time I go out riding at night in the woods on my own.

+1 for Audition, especially as I wasn’t really expecting the film to take that direction.

Also, a wee Irish short called The Ten Steps. Still makes my hair stand on end thinking about it. Not sure it’ll have the same impact on youtube at Friday lunchtime as in a darkened cinema, but here it is…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpURRW80LnM[/video]

Premier Icon FuzzyWuzzy
    Subscriber

Not terrifying but in terms of making me jump it would have to be Paranormal Activity. Not a great film but thought it was pretty clever showing lots of the CCTV footage where nothing happens so you start to really focus on it looking for any slight movement etc. then when something does finally happened you’re so drawn into it it takes you by surprise (at least it did me). Most horror films you kinda know when the music changes something’s about to happen which is a bit lame.

banks

+1 for Dog Soldiers. Nearly erased that from memory. Many brown trouser moments visiting a mates when she lives in a game-keeper cottage with the kennels out back, also happens to be white with a couple a defenders out front AND in the middle of the forest

Premier Icon Harry_the_Spider
    Subscriber

The Descent.

The fact that the girl at the end is lost underground scared me more than the monsters.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

Ah it’s almost Halloween- time for me to force my brother to try and watch Ghostwatch again, and for him to run away halfway through.

AlasdairMc

I found R-Point to be quite scary, more from a psychological perspective than out and out terror

globalti

No Country for Old Men where Anton Chigurh challenges the old man in the gas station to flip a coin for his life. That scene has stayed with me ever since I saw the film, Javier Bardem is so chilling.

patriotpro

“Ghostwatch” – I forgot about that!

Scared me half to death and fell for it til the very end where newsreader sand “round and round the garden” like he was possessed!

😯

Taff

IT, scared me as a child and still hate it now

mikey74

How can a film that had people caving with ice axes be scary?

Really? Really? You must be a barrel of laughs.

+ 1 for the Descent: The bit at the beginning where they get stuck in the crawl space really had me sweating; mainly because it’s a complete nightmare scenario for me. Oh, and the ending has haunted me ever since.

Pretty much anything by the Japanese, even the remakes. The Ring and The Grudge have given me nightmares.

Premier Icon AD
    Subscriber

Event Horizon

Premier Icon ac282
    Subscriber
    Premier Icon teadrinker
    Subscriber

I accidently found my Mum and Dads’s home movie. That was pretty shocking and scarred me for life 😯

Ro5ey

Yeah … The Road or I am Legend (the mob rule, rather than the vamps)

It’s the break down of society for me, not monsters or ghost etc… as it seems much more possible 😯

Edit “much more”??… maybe I should have said slighly more

andywoods

my wedding video does it for me

Viewing 45 posts - 1 through 45 (of 128 total)

The topic ‘Films that scared the **** out of you as an adult…’ is closed to new replies.