Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • FILEY AND SCARBOROUGH – TRIP ADVICE ?
  • voodoo_chile

any locals know the score going up there week after next for a few days
    where to eat, where not to eat !
    things to do ?

totalshell

everybody who lives in scarbrough will slag it off but it is actually a decent spot, harrogate by the sea with a little bit of harehills for entertainment.

voodoo_chile

any must dos then

john_drummer
    Free Member

depending how you’re getting there, do NOT go on the A64 between Tadcaster & Malton. OK for the rest of the road but just south of York it’s dreadful

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

Filey is lovely and relaxed, I was concieved there by the way, but aside from the beach/brigg/boating lake there is not a lot to do; that said FANTASTIC fish and chips.

Scarborough, good seaside town, fishing trips and boat rides, head into the moors for a day out and upto Whitby and the Star at Harome, about 20 miles for a Michelin class meal.

Great riding nearby in the North York Moors

Pook

Got to go to Peasholm Park. And walk up on the cliffs above South Bay.

voodoo_chile

a64 was my route ,john why avoid that stretch ?

Gary_M
    Free Member

Spent many a happy holiday in Filey and Scarborough as a young boy on holiday with my parents. Eat fish n chips, enjoy the seaside atmosphere, watch out for the gulls. Some lovely walking in the area.

Have a pint for my dad, he died on holiday in Scarborough.

voodoo_chile

Gary , will raise one for your dad

Gary_M
    Free Member

Cheers voodoo_chile, appreciate that. Enjoy the holiday.

john_drummer
    Free Member

my sister got married in Scarborough (Scalby to be exact) last May; we live in Shipley so thought the simplest & quickest route would be into Leeds from the West then out on the A64 all the way. Oh how wrong can you be!
    It took us over 3 hours, at least one hour of which was in a traffic jam between York Racecourse and Malton. No roadworks or accidents to explain it, and when we talked to people at the wedding, apparently that’s quite normal…
    so we went home via Pickering, Sutton Bank, Thirsk, Ripon & Harrogate. Took just under 2 hours.

When my other sister got married at the same hotel in October, we came home the same route and did it in just under 2 hours again. (We’d been in the northeast the night before so went to the wedding via Guisborough & Whitby)

Another sister and here family came up to both weddings from Aylesbury, they went up the M18 to pick up the M62 & then followed the Bridlington signs – they missed all the problems as well. All other relatives heading along the A64 had the same problem as us

voodoo_chile

thanks John ,time to adjust the route to avoid the A64

Milt
    Free Member

I grew up there but can’t really recommend anywhere as they’ve probably changed since the 80’s (actually maybe not)
    saw this in the paper the other week.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2011/jul/17/jay-rayner-lanterna-scarborough-alessio

& the harbour bar is still good by the sounds of it for an ice cream
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/enjoy-england/10-mins-yorkshire

the-muffin-man

Leeds to Scarborough in 2 hrs – are you using horse and carriage?! 🙂

We have relatives in Scarborough and regularly do the trip in 2hrs from near Alfreton in Derbyshire.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

totalshell – Member
    everybody who lives in scarbrough will slag it off but it is actually a decent spot, harrogate by the sea with a little bit of harehills for entertainment.
    POSTED 1 HOUR AGO # REPORT-POST

How very dare you!

Disgusted from Harrogate.

totalshell

rochdale to scarborough no more than 2 hours. it once took four but that was behind some horse and carts. the a64 is the only way to go straight forward and no speed cameras ( except for a mobile on the malton bypass)
    loads to see and do with a family spend as much or as little as you want. whitby robin hoods bay all adult things to do kids the front and beach at scarbrough are great including a brand new skate/ bike park very kids bike friendly on the front ( north and south bay)

midlifecrashes

Make sure you don’t miss the Naval Warfare at Peasholm Park, just awesome, get there early and be prepared to fight for a good place if there are lots of coach trips in. Once seen, never ever forgotten. Going back next week to show my kids too.

Naval Warfare

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Used to watch that every year as kids on our summer holidays 🙂

wrightyson
    Free Member

Where to start? Number 1, it’s a great drive from Derbyshire an love it every time, have been known to pass six cars in one hit on some of those roads!!
    That aside filey has a lovely huge beach and it gets quieter the further south you walk along it. Do the brigg, great walk but get your tide times right or it’ll be a 999 call for the lads in helicopters. Go slightly south from Filey towards flamborough, nice little tour of the lighthous, incredible bit of engineering when you get up to the top and check out the lenses an how the actual weight of the bloody thing rotates. Also just south are a couple of beaches in and around thornwick bay, lovely White chalk, great for rock pooling and then the cliff top walk over to the north landing is again stunning!! Love that coast line, we’ve been a few times 😉

john_drummer
    Free Member

Leeds to Scarborough in 2 hrs – are you using horse and carriage?!

<talks slowly> there…was…a…problem…on…the…a64…which…apparently…is…quite…common

when I was a lad, we lived south of Leeds (Morley) & I remember it only taking an hour or so to Scarborough. must be all the damn tourists clogging up the roads 😉

voodoo_chile

thanks all ,very good advice

Creg

+1 for the Naval Warfare. Amazing spectacle. I’ve only seen it once many years ago but it was fantastic. Must go again sometime (as its just down the road)

althepal

Been twice in the last few years and missed naval warfare both times!! Gutted!!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘FILEY AND SCARBOROUGH – TRIP ADVICE ?’ is closed to new replies.