• This topic has 45 replies, 32 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by lowey.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • FIL on donor list – 2hour journey to Leeds from Rossendale
  • RustyNissanPrairie

FIL has a knackered liver (not from drinking!) and is going on the donor list on Tuesday (his brother had a liver transplant also last year so they know the details of the op etc)

FIL isnt allowed to drive, MIL is driving his car which is a bit too big for her (Passat estate) and she isnt a great driver at the best of times. My Mrs and I are a bit concerned at the pressure she’ll be under having to drive to Leeds in under two hours when the call comes as it come be any time of day or night. Worst case is 8:00 and picking up the rush hour traffic.

We’d happily drive them but wouldn’t be able to get from work quick enough to then drive them if the call was during the day.

Im sure Leeds hospital will have some advice for them on this matter but im just putting it out to the STW in case anyone has had similar?

jambalaya
    Free Member

My FIL has a totally knackered liver. He has too many health issues to have an operation and is too old I suspect for them even to consider a transplant. He has a now weekly lumbar drain. I suppose what I am saying is I hope your FIL is able to wait it out. Do they have a friend who could drive them ?

JoeG
    Free Member

Take an Uber? 😉

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

M66/M62 should only take an hour outside of peak times.

In the circumstances, minicab surely. Yes it’ll be expensive but it’s quite important!

john_drummer
    Free Member

M66/M65 to Colne then Crosshills/Keighley / Bingley / Shipley / Rodley / Leeds. Unless the M62 is unexpectedly behaving itself

newrobdob
    Free Member

I do a fair bit of that route every day for work. To be honest 95% of the time you’d do it at rush hour in under 2 hours. Yes there can be delays but they aren’t as bad as they used to be. It has to be a fairly major problem to make minor roads faster.

One way to reduce the time as much as you can would be to pack everything that he needs in a bag and leave near front door. Make sure there’s always a set of clothes he can jump into if in bed. 10 mins saved getting ready means more time for the journey.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Get a taxi. It’s expensive but surely worth it ?

Have they spoken to the hospital about what happens if mega delays?

ratherbeintobago

I used to commute from the western side of Rochdale to Jimmy’s, and if memory serves, it usually took about an hour and a quarter at rush hour. Should be less now the managed motorway works have finished. Another half hour tops from Rossendale?

I wonder what they do about recipients coming from e.g. Liverpool.

RustyNissanPrairie

a bag has to be packed and ready as part of the conditions, also 3 contactable phones including 2 mobiles and the landline.

I don’t think they’d be willing to wait for a taxi, all their friends are in their 70’s and their neighbours are in the same position as us in regard working in the daytime.

Im sure she’ll be okay but the anxiety in the car will be high especially if during rush hour.
    We’re just trying to figure a way of lowering it

martinhutch

Stick with the major routes – M62 etc. Easy navigation will be the issue, not the timing.

legend
    Free Member

RustyNissanPrairie – Member
    Im sure she’ll be okay but the anxiety in the car will be high especially if during rush hour.
    We’re just trying to figure a way of lowering it

practice the route with her a couple of times?

theotherjonv

Is it worth talking to the hospital or even the police about what to do if you get the call in the depth of rush hour traffic, or indeed if we get any proper weather in the next few weeks?

blader1611
    Free Member

I went to Horwich (boltonish) yesterday from Leeds at 10am so millions of shoppers were out and it only took an hour (its a 58 mile journey). We then returned at 16.30 so chucking out time for shoppers and it was about an hour and 15 max. Like somebody said above there is now little roadworks and restricted speeds so its pretty free flowing.

chakaping
    Free Member

+1 for doing a dry run.

Is your mum worried herself or are you fretting on her behalf?

Situations like that tend to put driving nerves into perspective, in my experience of having a nervous driving wife and some family misfortune this year.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I don’t think they’d be willing to wait for a taxi,

It takes about 2 minutes to get a taxi around our way. (the exception may be Christmas Eve/New Years Eve.

What did the hospital say, they will have this type of situation quite regularly?

theteaboy
    Free Member

So are you worried about the travel or your mother?

If it’s the travel, there are options – taxi all the way, taxi to the train station and get the train, drive and pre-set satnav directions to a multistorey long stay car park.

If it’s your mother, maybe she’s looking for some reassurance, a dry run, to hire a smaller car. Or maybe she’s fine about the whole thing.

In a roundabout way, this comes across as your vague worries. You’re not really pinpointing the problem you want to solve. I’d suggest an honest, face-to-face conversation with both parents about what’s going to happen.

Sorry if that sounds blunt! It’s stressful for all involved and everyone reacts differently. I’ve been in a similar situation and ended up flying home from Chicago to help.

petrieboy

You could also reassure her by talking to a local taxi firm and having something in place. I’m sure that given the circumstances your local firm would be quite happy to be “on standby” to give your mum top priority when the time domes

Also, as above, have a chat to your local community police officer as they’ll also commit to stepping in if there’s weather or something exceptional. Chances are they won’t have to step in but it’ll reassure all of you knowing that I s there as a backstop.

flashpaul
    Free Member

Depending on time of day , owd betts then through rochdale cuts of a fair chunk of the journey.

It only takes about 20 mins so should leave loads of time for the rest of the journey to leeds.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

I’ve seen European drivers waving a white handkerchief out of the car in emergencies and the traffic lets them through. Wouldn’t work in this country though.
    Taxi would be the next best.

allan23
    Free Member

Speak to hospital and see what patient transport options there could be or if they have advice. If none then dry run is recommended to avoid stress.

Problem will not really be getting to Leeds, it will be getting through it to the LGI, it’s not the clearest of one-way routes, hospital is road signed but easy to miss under pressure.

Parking is horrendous and the multi-story is insanely narrow with lots of concrete to scrape a car down.

Did they say which site to turn up at? The multi-story is a short walk from the A&E entrance, but if it’s Clarendon then it’s a bit more of a trek.

ratherbeintobago

Double post

ratherbeintobago

Problem will not really be getting to Leeds, it will be getting through it to the LGI,

Fortunately, the liver unit is at Jimmy’s, which is easier to get to off the motorway than the Infirmary.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Speak to hospital and see what patient transport options there could be or if they have advice. If none then dry run is recommended to avoid stress.

Patient Transport, although it gets you from A-B, it is not that reactive, and wouldn’t be great across counties.

Still ring the hospital and ask their advice.

Fortunately, the liver unit is at Jimmy’s,

unfortunately more chance of getting your car nicked, more reason to go in a taxi 😀

ratherbeintobago

In 12 months of working at the mighty Gipton General, I didn’t have my car nicked once. Add in a year of going to the Infirmary & seven months of BRI, all of which involved long trips on the M62, and I did go through quite a few windscreens though.

My mate did get chased down Beckett St by a gang of the local youth when he went over to Beckett Wing mind you.

franksinatra

You could also reassure her by talking to a local taxi firm and having something in place. I’m sure that given the circumstances your local firm would be quite happy to be “on standby” to give your mum top priority when the time domes

Also, as above, have a chat to your local community police officer as they’ll also commit to stepping in if there’s weather or something exceptional. Chances are they won’t have to step in but it’ll reassure all of you knowing that I s there as a backstop.

Wise words on both fronts.

Does this circumstance not justify 999 type response (Ambulance or police)?

taxi25
    Free Member

Get a taxi. It’s expensive but surely worth it ?

This seriously, I can’t think of a situation where spending a few quid could be more justified.
    But, get them to talk to their GP. They might very well qualify for patient transport. Theoretically a transport ambulance might be sent, but more likely volunteer ambulance transport car, or whatever taxi company has the contract. I worked for a company who had this and used to transport transplant patients all over the country.

RustyNissanPrairie

Its my in-laws, they are going tomorrow for the big meeting re going on the register so will have more info when they come back on Wednesday. It might all be covered and we are worrying unnecessarily

The driving problem is my MIL was an infrequent driver and scooted about locally in a Fiat500. My FIL has been a salesman all his life so they arnt really compatible in the now Passat estate together when MIL is driving.

The stress levels are going to be through the roof on that possible life or death drive hence looking for a way to help.

RustyNissanPrairie

But, get them to talk to their GP. They might very well qualify for patient transport. Theoretically a transport ambulance might be sent, but more likely volunteer ambulance transport car, or whatever taxi company has the contract. I worked for a company who had this and used to transport transplant patients all over the country.

Thanks for the info.

totalshell

no problems.. we live in rochdale and travelled to leeds city centre right past the front door of LGI in under 40 minutes it was so easy it was so quick.. i d suggest MIL does a couple of practice trips beforehand and she is coached on which lane is fastest.. this can make a big difference at junc. 26 particularly ( inside till you get to the junc. then hard over to the outside WELL before the bridge…at 27 on the inside as though coming off and then move to the mid position to keep on the 62 and into the city centre.. practice and a smile and you ll do it every day under 2 hours.. the stretch from rossy to the m62 on the m66 has no speed cameras and i ve never seen any mobiles..

stumpyjon

Bacup to leeds centre is just over an hour, thats going through Rochdale or via M66, doesn’t make a lot of difference. We’re doing that journey 3 times a week at the moment, Monday and Wednesday evenings and Saturday mid day. Not too bad as long as there are no crashes etc.

Chew
    Free Member

Bacup to leeds centre is just over an hour, thats going through Rochdale or via M66, doesn’t make a lot of difference. We’re doing that journey 3 times a week at the moment, Monday and Wednesday evenings and Saturday mid day. Not too bad as long as there are no crashes etc.

Could easily take double that amount of time if you got caught in the rush hour on the M62.

RustyNissanPrairie

Update. ‘The’ call came in this morning at 3’clock, sister in law drove them to Leeds in her car.
    FIL being prepped for possible surgery at midday depending on condition of the replacement liver.
    Took everyone by surprise how quick things have happened-expected to be months.
    Fingers crossed and condolences/thoughts to the relatives of the replacement liver.

theotherjonv

Fingers crossed!

scaled
    Free Member

Wow, that was quick, best of luck to you FiL

Pyro

Finger crossed for him, RNP.

eckinspain
    Free Member

Wow – quick.
    fingers crossed.

RustyNissanPrairie

Thanks for the comments, unfortunately the liver wasnt quite good enough so they are on their way back home. A bit double edged really- xmas day is back on again (both families get on well and celebrate together)but Bob couldn’t have the xmas pressy he really needs.

The donor was on a life support which was being switched off once relatives had paid their respects. Sad for them however they are.

Ben_H

Really pleased the call came quickly – and very best wishes for a successful outcome.

Ben (UK Transplant bod)

ratherbeintobago

The donor was on a life support which was being switched off once relatives had paid their respects. Sad for them however they are.

However, the possibility of organ donation can bring some comfort in an awful situation.

While it’s a bit of a tangent, perhaps this is a good point to ask everyone reading this to consider whether they would be willing to be an organ donor in the event of their death, if they would to sign the organ donor register and make sure their nearest and dearest are aware of their wishes,

I’m on it.

RustyNissanPrairie

‘The’ call happened again this morning at 6.00am, the inlaws were driven by my sister inlaw so no drama’s on the journey.

Scrubbed and waited in theatre from midday onwards for the go/no go depending on the condition of the incoming donor liver.
    Op went ahead, 4 hours to remove Bobs liver, and a few more hours to go yet fitting(?) the new liver.
    Long day for them all, everything going well so far. Fingers crossed.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘FIL on donor list – 2hour journey to Leeds from Rossendale’ is closed to new replies.