Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Fifty years since 'I have a dream….' Who is like MLK now?
  • gordimhor

I can’t think of anyone …certainly not in the UK. Nelson Mandela obviously ….but is there anyone up and coming. MLK become well known outside the US after his speech. So is there someone who might step up to a similar level?

aP
    Free Member

CMD of course.

mrmoofo

Obama – and his progressive view of world politics and where American sits ….

Or maybe not!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    woody2000

Jesse Jackson?

warton
    Free Member

Miley Cyrus?

kayak23

Luther Vandross?

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Pussy riot.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Peter Andre

yunki
    Free Member

Fred

hammyuk
    Free Member

Walter and Achmed…..

gordimhor

Desmond Tutu is another example. Can’t see any UK politician worthy of comparison. Then again MLK wasn’t a politician . Obama has been a bit of a disappointment in foreign policy terms. Can’t think why but CMD and Ed Millipede remind me of another icon …the pantomime horse I am not sure who is at which end.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Reginald D. Hunter

allthepies
    Free Member

Junkyard ?

mogrim

MLK wasn’t a politician

Yes he was. He just didn’t run for elections.

Hard to think of an equivalent right now, some of the south American politicians like Lulu or Morales perhaps?

glupton1976
    Free Member

Depending on what Hassan Rouhani does in the next few years it could be him.

mrmoofo

Bono …

gordimhor

dog food? moofo

scotroutes

Tony Blair. Or as we like to call him, Peacebringer.

bobnitro
    Free Member

Howard Moon

peterfile
    Free Member

A few years ago when I was living in a nice hotel, Clarence B Jones checked in with his (grown up) son. Jones wrote MLK’s famous speeches and was his lawyer.

While his dad was here on business, I took his son under my wing and showed him the best Glasgow had to offer 🙂 It was a very very drunken few days and the guy was an absolute legend 🙂

brakes
    Free Member

George Galloway

gordimhor

Scotroutes you must have misheard that. Surely it was ‘giespeace’.

molgrips
    Free Member

Different situation now though, isn’t it?

shermer75
    Free Member
    gordimhor

Shermer75+1

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Aung San Suu Kyi

footflaps

Cameron, with ‘I have a dream; I see millions of poor people on zero hour contracts, slaving away for my Bullingdon Millionaire chums, whilst the old, frail and handicapped starve to death on the streets’.

I’m pretty sure that will be their tag line for the next election.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Junkyard ?

I am not even half the man he was, not even close.

But there is something that I must say to my people, who stand on the warm threshold which leads into the palace of justice: In the process of gaining our rightful place, we must not be guilty of wrongful deeds. Let us not seek to satisfy our thirst for freedom by drinking from the cup of bitterness and hatred. We must forever conduct our struggle on the high plane of dignity and discipline. We must not allow our creative protest to degenerate into physical violence. Again and again, we must rise to the majestic heights of meeting physical force with soul force.

I would have been a black Panther and quite angry fighty if that shit had been done to me and my people [ in my youth anyway]
    the full transcript and audio is here [ not listened to the audio
    It really is worth hearing the speech in its entiriety [ I had never doen this but heard it on Radio 4 today [ with parts voiced by different people.
    http://www.americanrhetoric.com/speeches/mlkihaveadream.htm

RustySpanner

Richard Dawkins. 😀

gordimhor

First one to really make me think yes muppetwrangler though Rouhani is a possibility too . What about the Dalai Llama?

RustySpanner

For a serious answer – no one.
    Humanity has changed for the worse.
    True idealism has been usurped by the corporate and personal legitimacy of greed and banality.

The person who steps forward and attempts to lead a popular movement to abolish the Indian caste system will be worthy of the comparison.
    But I think we’ll have to wait a few generations for that.

johnellison
    Free Member

Count Arthur Strong or John Shuttleworth

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-nXT8lSnPQ[/video]

jamj1974

Turnerguy and muppetWrangler have it in my opinion. I also think that every time someone speaks up against prejudice of any sort, maybe they are have just a little bit of Martin Luther King or Gandhi in them…

athgray
    Free Member

What about Aung San Suu Kyi? Trying to advance Burmese democracy whilst spending much of the last 20 years under house arrest.

gordimhor

Remember that image very well TurnerGuy. That guy truly had/has balls of steel.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Every young girl standing up for their rights to education and be treated equal without the protection of the media at the time.

gordimhor

Good point about people speaking up. This song is called The Silent Majority.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Tim Berners-Lee – the internet is now the focal point, not a particular person. Hopefully it is more powerful too as many many more people can participate or indeed just learn of the struggles of others.

Information itself will ultimately be the next ‘leader’.

gordimhor

The Internet is only a tool it can be used to promote free speech and to stifle free speech.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Fifty years since 'I have a dream….' Who is like MLK now?’ is closed to new replies.