• This topic has 145 replies, 56 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by sbob.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 146 total)
  • Fiesta ST – should we?
  • rocketman
    Free Member

Have had three ST Fiestas since 2007 currently driving an ST2

I would not buy one for a 10 mile commute it’d be like taking a rocket launcher to a knife fight. Like any hot hatch the ST can be used as a daily driver but it’s not a flattering car to drive and if all you want to do is get to work and back it won’t do you any favours.

The car doesn’t really come to life until at least 50 mph when the firm suspension, sharp brakes and sparkling engine start to make sense.

The biggest problem with the ST is some of the people you have to share the road with. For some reason the mere presence of the ST irritates the **** out of them. They will tailgate you in 30 limits, undertake and cut back in, brake check, dawdle and generally do everything they can to provoke a reaction. It takes an iron will to not respond.

Choose carefully

Jamie
    Free Member

The ST3 has cruise, climate, nav, keyless, leather heated recaros, auto lights and mirrors, heated front screen and dab as standard, the one we’ve seen also has Park pilot.

Noice.

Heh…I didn’t realise my car had a chrome grill. Just checked and you’re right. I need to start paying attention more.

TiRed

I know you said not French, but my twingo 133 (not cup) is the most fun I’ve had in a car! No turbo, revs to 7000rpm, corners like a go Kart and will get you into RS trackdays. Takes a bike with just the front wheel off. Mine does about 70 miles a week. It’s just about the cheapest entry into evo land, and the floorpan is the same as the older Clio.

Just ask Ross Kemp 😉

legend
    Free Member

but it might take the shine of the current ST when the new one comes

I remain to be convinced by the 3-cylinder ST with ESE (that’s Electronic Sound Enhancement to you)

The ST3 has cruise, climate, nav, keyless, leather heated recaros, auto lights and mirrors, heated front screen and dab as standard, the one we’ve seen also has Park pilot.

That’s basically the exact spec of mine. It was a demonstrated so seemed to have every option ticked.

jimjam
    Free Member

legend – Member

but it might take the shine of the current ST when the new one comes

I remain to be convinced by the 3-cylinder ST with ESE (that’s Electronic Sound Enhancement to you)[/quote]

Safe to assume it’ll be a lighter engine so handling can be enhanced, plus we know it’ll have more power so presumably a better power to weight ratio too. Fake noise is never good but there’s no reason why 3 cylinders can’t sound good, in theory at least.

Edukator
    Free Member

“ESE”
    I had to Google that, it sounded too naff to be true:

“ESE is an audio system feature that enhances certain engine tones typically induced under wide open throttle or heavy part-throttle conditions. The system uses a DACMC (contained within the ACM) and the audio system speakers.”

The automotive equivalent of a clothes peg and playing cards in your spokes. Entirely in keeping with the image of the car though – “tacky innit”.

legend
    Free Member

Get with the programme grandad, manufacturers have been pumping fake noises into the cabin for years now. Seat were the first I can remember, BMW do it too iirc, Clio 200T you can pick which bloody car you want to sound like

jimjim, don’t believe the new one is any lighter. Not sure it’s any heavier mind you, so you’ll get the power:weight but not necessarily the handling improvement

jimjam
    Free Member

Edukator – Reformed Troll

“ESE”

“ESE is an audio system feature that enhances certain engine tones typically induced under wide open throttle or heavy part-throttle conditions. The system uses a DACMC (contained within the ACM) and the audio system speakers.”

The automotive equivalent of a clothes peg and playing cards in your spokes. Entirely in keeping with the image of the car though – “tacky innit”.

Welcome to 2011.

stumpy01

How about the BMW M5 with it’s Active Sound Design or the Golf GTI/R with it’s Soundakator?

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/bmw-m5-generates-fake-engine-noise-using-stereo/

What BMW has done is link the M5’s car stereo system’s digital signal processor (DSP) into the engine management system, which allows the audio system to simulate the sound of a twin-scroll, twin-turbocharged V-8 engine in sync with the actual 560-horsepower mill humming away in the engine bay.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/what-the-vw-golf-r-gti-soundaktor-is-and-how-to-disable-it-104944.html

Not only does the Golf R’s system sharpen the throttle but it also activates the so-called Soundaktor.

It’s sort of like a resonator box that sends engine noise into the cabin when activated. The first video is from a guy named Schwabo, who bought a 2016 Golf R and played with the Soundaktor. In comfort mode, it does nothing at all, but put the car into Race, and it’s like the Star Ship Enterprise has arrived, even though the performance and acceleration are the same.

Tacky, innit??

Jamie
    Free Member

I admire Educator’s consistency.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I would not buy one for a 10 mile commute it’d be like taking a rocket launcher to a knife fight. Like any hot hatch the ST can be used as a daily driver but it’s not a flattering car to drive and if all you want to do is get to work and back it won’t do you any favours.

I hear you. TBH in the summer it doesn’t get used to commute, she uses either the bike, scooter or motorbike for that. We’ve also had a supercharged cooper S and an FR so well versed with the ‘shit’ ride quality and bellends trying to race. She’s a good driver so doesn’t rise to the bait, just looses them in the corners!

retro83
    Free Member

“ESE”

As long as it’s done well, who cares? If it’s good enough for an M5, M135i, Golf R, or a Clio RS, … why not the Fiesta?
    Besides I’d rather have ESE than the contrived exhaust farting on over-run that a lot of cars have.

As for the Fiesta being tacky, well I don’t think that’s particularly true either. As hot hatches go it’s fairly understated. Compare to the Honda Civic Type R for instance, or even pretty much any current Mercedes. And no, I don’t and have never owned an ST.

edit: baws, stumpy01 beat me to it

Edukator
    Free Member

So BMW M5, Fiesta ST, Golf GTI all have artificial engine sounds in the cabin (which I admit is better than subjecting the rest of the population to your naff engine sound). I can see a trend forming here, cars pretending to be something they are not for people pretending to be something when they are not.

legend
    Free Member

Besides I’d rather have ESE than the contrived exhaust farting on over-run that a lot of cars have.

Yeah I really don’t get how that’s a thing at the moment. Fair enough when engines weren’t that advanced and it was a genuine thing, but when someone’s making it do it via a laptop? Used to use a Clio forum when I had mine, anyone with a “pops and bangs map” used to get ripped relentlessly, then the likes of Jaguar start doing it as standard….?

retro83
    Free Member

So BMW M5, Fiesta ST, Golf GTI all have artificial engine sounds in the cabin (which I admit is better than subjecting the rest of the population to your naff engine sound). I can see a trend forming here, cars pretending to be something they are not for people pretending to be something when they are not.

Pray tell, how is an M5 or a GTI pretending to be something they are not?

Because it does sound like you’re talking a load of old arse.

Jamie
    Free Member

allthegear
    Free Member

/me admits to being slightly addicted to the pops and bangs from the exhaust of her (modern) motorbike…

Rachel

rocketman
    Free Member

I hear you. TBH in the summer it doesn’t get used to commute, she uses either the bike, scooter or motorbike for that. We’ve also had a supercharged cooper S and an FR so well versed with the ‘shit’ ride quality and bellends trying to race.

Ok cool your mrs will probably like it

drlex
    Free Member

@OP
    Colleague has only had sunroof drainage problem, and the garage screwed up the front number plate mounting, which ended up with a bumper swap. Driving performance has been great and he may have reached 140 (in a safe and legal fashion, obvs). No regrets yet.

Edukator
    Free Member

Pray tell, how is an M5 or a GTI pretending to be something they are not?

Well the first thing a sporting car needs is an operational handbrake on the rear wheels. The Golf GTi fails that first hurdle. How are you going to throw it into the last parking space in the pub car park without? It would be so embarrassing doing a multi-point turn in front of all your mates in the beer garden.

retro83
    Free Member

Well the first thing a sporting car needs is an operational handbrake on the rear wheels. The Golf GTi fails that first hurdle. How are you going to throw it into the last parking space in the pub car park without? It would be so embarrassing doing a multi-point turn in front of all your mates in the beer garden.

Edukator
    Free Member

Well the Golf GTI and M5 hark back to a period when that’s the way they were marketed, as hooligans’ car. Fun in a way that tody’s morals say is totally anti-social. The modern versions have been sanitised. They are difficult if not impossible to drive in a sporting manner because they are heavy barges with dynamics engineered to be as safe as possible (within what’s possible if you fit an unreasonably powerful engine). Removing a levered handbrake from hot hatches (VW aren’t the only ones) is removing the possibility of people doing handbrake turns. I have nothing against this but the idea they are still sporting car is only in the marketing.

I used to do displays in whatever I was given. None of the cars of the day needed more preparation than 50psi in the tyres. Objectively an 87 Montego was more of a sports car than a current Golf GTi in terms of its immediate adaptability to motorsport.

allthegear
    Free Member

I suggest you go back to 1987 then, Edukator 🙄

legend
    Free Member

The modern versions have been sanitised. They are difficult if not impossible to drive in a sporting manner because they are heavy barges

1,364kg is hardly wild

and wtf does a handbrake have to do with sporting credentials?

The “adaptability to motorsport” comment is a cracker though 🙂 More complex thing is more difficult to **** about with shocker

Edukator
    Free Member

I’m quite happy in 2017, making cars boring is good, horrors such as the Fiesta ST are still legal and I have no idea why. A GPS device to limit cars to the speed limit is the first step to reducing demand for cars that are more anti-social, more polluting and more dangerous than they need to be. We (especailly cyclists) are victims of a motor industry lobby that sells anti-social dreams to a population in search of adventure and strong sensations when they have fat bellies and lack the talent or bravery to do anything more than sit behind the wheel of a bloated air-bagged “sports car’.

Edit: the orignal Golf was 750-850kg IIRC

Time for a swim so that’s a serious post to ponder.

legend
    Free Member

horrors such as the Fiesta ST are still legal and I have no idea why

haha is this the Daily Mail? 😆

Edit: the orignal Golf was 750-850kg IIRC

in 1975, who would’ve thought that’d change?

lazybike
    Free Member

Skinny people drive as well you know! You’re fattist…

boblo
    Free Member

Oooo look, a pointless argument. Pisses off somewhere else less dull

Jamie
    Free Member

Oooo look, a pointless argument. Pisses off somewhere else less dull

To be fair, it does answer an important question; what is the sound of one man trolling.

Remove Edukator’s posts, and it’s a fairly well rounded thread.

boblo
    Free Member

It also answers the question: ‘What did Jamie buy?’. No Civic for you then my Son. 🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

#Fiesta4Lyfe

richmtb

Obvious troll is obvious

Fiesta’s are great cars.

If your wife wants something with a bit of poke then go for it.

Haterz gonna hate and all that, but seriously its just a fun little car, its not a weapon of automotive destruction

shadowrider
    Free Member

I work at a car factory, our company car scheme is wth Ford so a lot of my work colleagues drive Fiesta St or Focus St. I havnt really heard a bad word said about the Fiesta St, relatively quiet, nippy, looks ok, and fairly economical for an ST. It is ridiculous at knocking off time though, its just like a big Ford race.

jimjam
    Free Member

shadowrider

It is ridiculous at knocking off time though, its just like a big Ford race.

A child’s face.

toby1

Currently have an EP3 Type R (poor chav car) or car I bought and loved. Wife is using that for work and I picked up a short term car for commuting, Diesel Civic FK2 (I think, the first of the futuristic body types). It’s great for now, but dull and washy to drive, so thinking an ST Fiesta next too.

I’d not worry about what people think about it, people seem to hate me as much in the slow old diesel Civic as they did in the type R. This is refering to the horrendous crime of doing 40 in the 40 zone on the A14 at the moment, I pulled into the right hand lane to prevent a TNT lorry from going through me the other day (width restriction in the right lane), then the people in the van behind him, a couple of feet from the back of it looked over and shook their heads as they also undertook me.

servo
    Free Member

I have a new Focus ST-3 petrol estate. Saw one at the local Ford garage last year and thought it looked great. Had a test drive and it was way better to drive than I expected.

I am quite boring and have just turned 50 but I thought why not?

I was looking for a bike on Ebay and saw one in Bournemouth (90 miles away) and thought that would be a nice drive down. Collecting it tonight!

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

This is all looking more promising! It’s 80/20 for the ST at the moment.

I think the price is about right, as the salesman had a face on him like I’d tried to violate his dog by the time the negotiations had concluded.

He has another coming in tomorrow with slightly less miles which I’ll take a look at too.

nickewen
    Free Member

Two of my mates have them – one for about 18 months and the other for about 6 months. Only complaint was from the “big lad” who said the recaros were cutting into him something rotten and that he looks like a gorilla driving it..

I’ve been passenger in them a few times and think they’re cracking little cars – a little harsh but if your Mrs has been cutting about in a Cooper S she’ll be fine!

allthegear
    Free Member

Is the Fiesta ST manual only or can you can an automatic?

Rachel

rocketman
    Free Member

Is the Fiesta ST manual only or can you can an automatic?

6-speed manual only

I think the price is about right

It’s a great time to buy with the new one on the horizon. Although the outgoing model is nearly 10 years old the STs have only been around since 2013 and although some would say that makes them dated in my book it makes them sorted.

He has another coming in tomorrow with slightly less miles which I’ll take a look at too

Mine have all been new but having driven some sub-20k mile examples they still feel quite new. STs built after mid-2015 have the same suspension tweaks as the ST200

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 146 total)

The topic ‘Fiesta ST – should we?’ is closed to new replies.