Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Fibre rollout reaches village but…
  • leftyboy
    Free Member

[RANT]
    So fibre broadband has reached my village and it’s a year earlier than originally predicted, everyone in the village cheers.

On checking my telephone number I discover I’m connected to cabinet 8 and that cabinet 8 is not fibre enabled! After a quick straw pole it looks like 2 cabinets in the village are not enabled the rest are.

Looking at BT Openreach and BT Wholesales websites I discover that sometime a cabinet can’t be fibre enabled because it doesn’t serve enough customers, and to add insult to injury once you’re connected to a cabinet that’s it and you can’t be connected to a different one!

So quite a few people I know could get decent broadband but don’t want/need it and quite a few can’t but do want/need it!

One of those “that’s just life” moments I guess
    [/RANT]

Not really looking for sympathy, comment or discussion just wanted to VENT 🙂

spooky_b329

Same shit here and I work for them…I even helped pull in some of the new cables! Houses on three sides of me and just four doors away can get superfast BB, but not me.

You may get lucky in the next ‘wave’ when the council uses their pot of cash from the government (BDUK) to add to BT’s investment which then makes these smaller cabs a viable option to upgrade.

jam-bo

Friendly neighbour and some cat5?

dannybgoode

Would it help you to know I have a steady 60meg connection where I am.

Really is fast…

dannybgoode

On a serious note though look at the friendly neighbour route but perhaps over wi-fi instead of cat 5.

Get a yagi antenna / receiving aerial and you are away.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Aye, find a friendly neighbor, a couple of WiMax radios and bob’s your high-speed wireless uncle.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

thinly veiled i need HD 3D grot thread

TiRed

When fibre came to my old village, it was redirected along the by-pass as it was deemed that take up in the village would be too low. Broadband took another five years to arrive. Lost the sale of the house based on no broadband access for a would-be homeworker.

molgrips
    Free Member

I live in a modern housing development near a great many other modern housing developments on the edge of a prosperous major city. I get 3.8Mbps.

It looks like when they planned the developments they didn’t plan for another exchange so we have to share one from two suburbs away.

daveh
    Free Member

Similar-ish here, fibre arrived in the village but not for us. I emailed openreach and they replied along the lines of: “we need to site the new cabinet within 100m of the old cabinet, we couldn’t find anywhere suitable therefore we’re not going to bother anymore.” Now I do just wonder…..

winston_dog
    Free Member

I live in a little village and get 50 mps. I was very surprised.

Not that it helps you mind. 🙂

leftyboy
    Free Member

We’ll I’ve got access to 60mb non-contended at work but home is 1.2mb on a really good day if I’m online at 2:00am!

Ironically the head of the rollout program for Openreach lives in my village but he lives near a cabinet they’ve replaced so I guess he’s going to get an upgrade!

Seems that if the cabinet is old they try and site one nearby but only if there are enough customers connected to it, by definition smaller cabinets have less connection so seems like we’re stuffed!

Not exactly the worst thing in life but bloody annoying!

leftyboy
    Free Member

BTW my riding buddy who lives less than half a mile away can get 65mb! 🙁

wysiwyg
    Free Member

1.18mb here…

matt_outandabout

Get some cable, a slab of beer and a friendly neighbour….
    Or Google wok-fi.

leftyboy
    Free Member

Can’t easily do cable as nearest enabled cabinet is about 250m away. Can’t easily do wifi for same reason and as we’ve got a village full of mature oaks any satellite type solutions don’t really work.

Guess I chose the wrong village to live in if I wanted speedy broadband.

qwerty
    Free Member

💡 What would happen if you went and burnt all the villages boxes ❓ They’d replace them with….

matt_outandabout

Run the cable from nearest neighbour and share line rental..

molgrips
    Free Member

He means use cable to share someone else’s broadband. You can also beam wifi quite a long way if you have line-of-sight.

Hohum
    Free Member

Bummer.

kimbers

couldnt you accidently reverse into the cabinet in the middle of the night

maybe theyll upgrade it when they replace it? 😉

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Not commercially viable would be the official term for the circumstances you mention

It can also happen if no suitable position can be found for the cabinet. This can be for a number of reasons such as objection from the council e.g.conservation area. Cabinet also requires power which cannot be picked up from the street lighting circuit.

From my last job as a high level complaints manager for Openreach I know an awful lot about this subject. I have now retired so please feel free to write in expressing your annoyance, but please do not say that these days high speed internet is as important as gas and electricity.

Damaging the cab wouldn’t work either because it would be replaced like for like. DSLAM requires fibre from the exchange and copper is still required for PSTN just in case anyone says that why not replace all copper for fibre to stop theft of valuable metal.

Another point to consider is if you are fed direct from the exchange i.e. not via a cabinet, this also means no superfast BB until a solution is found for that particular problem.

Flaperon

BT ran fibre to our cabinet which serves us and the local school, but won’t take it the next step and install the full DSLAM. So basically they can’t be arsed. At least the school has fast broadband while we loaf along at 3mbit.

I’m pretty sure BT has taken the government money to roll out fibre and used it to subsidise installation into the most lucrative areas first.

leftyboy
    Free Member

Tijuana – good points and as a guy with a job that requires commercial decisions all day every day I get the whole not-viable bit BUT the box less than 100m due south has been upgraded and there’s room, power and no obvious conservation issues to deal with so not upgrading this box seems odd.

Granted it’s not as important as gas or electric but in the 21st century it’s a bit crap that some people can get decent network access but others can’t..

bruneep

Looking at BT Openreach and BT Wholesales websites I discover that sometime a cabinet can’t be fibre enabled because it doesn’t serve enough customers, and to add insult to injury once you’re connected to a cabinet that’s it and you can’t be connected to a different one!

Welcome to my shitty world with BTO. Yes exchange is enabled, however due to shitty wiring done in 1992 when house was built, we are direct to exchange just shy of 4km. Now lines passes numerous cabinets that are fibre enabled.but BTO won’t connect us to any of the cabinets as they say it’s not cost effective.

When I enquire as to when our street will be done I keep getting the standard reply from them that the exchange is enabled and enquire to your preferred ISP.

“A holes”

Candodavid
    Free Member

used to have between 65-70 meg in old house, moved into country, now 1.2meg, wish I had never tried fibre now 🙁

takisawa2

Guessing cable (VM) isn’t an option…?

cheez0
    Free Member

Move house.

/thread

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

to add insult to injury once you’re connected to a cabinet that’s it and you can’t be connected to a different one!

Not just a simple matter of connecting to a different cabinet, the line plant doesn’t exist to make that happen. Likely to be along an entirely different duct route so not physically possible.
    Also the exisiting cab would have a maximum capacity as does the associated DSLAM This would no doubt be exceeded if diverting other out of cab area customers

BT ran fibre to our cabinet which serves us and the local school, but won’t take it the next step and install the full DSLAM

The dedicated fibre that serves places such as schools and businesses is not the same as that employed for SFBB I doubt that the fibre terminates in the cab and more likely to be fed to the school direct. This question was often raised such as when fibre was installed in various places for OB during the Olympics, just not compatible

Yes exchange is enabled, however due to shitty wiring done in 1992 when house was built, we are direct to exchange just shy of 4km

Research is being done so that EO customers can receive SFBB, nothing wrong with the quality of the wiring just how it runs. Plus many EO fed customers received an excellent ADSL service when many others who were cab fed at longer distances did not, swings and roundabouts i’m afraid

paladin

When am at work, we have 125k between 17 of us 😆

leftyboy
    Free Member

Tijuana – would it help me if I could get a bunch of people connected to cabinet 8 to all ask for fibre? Does not commercially viable mean ‘never’ or would establishing demand make a difference?

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

would it help me if I could get a bunch of people connected to cabinet 8 to all ask for fibre?

My advice would be contact the council dept who are dealing with BDUK funding for your county, certainly wouldn’t hurt to have a number of interested parties. Another alternative would be to part fund it yourself as in all those who want it. There have been partially funded community schemes that I know of and BT have contributed to,costs per household are not always as high as you might think.

The commercial viability thing is hard on those not included, but since BT was privatised in 1986 (yes I worked there before that)they have a duty to their shareholders. Once upon a time telephone lines were provided to the most far flung places because it was a service, so blame government for that change.

leftyboy
    Free Member

Not keen to fund it myself (group) but I suspect that’s our only viable option.

I blame the government for most things and privatisation is on that list! 🙂

MrNutt
    Free Member

Imagine if the cabinet suddenly needed to be replaced due to some kind of, rem, accident?

Flaperon

The dedicated fibre that serves places such as schools and businesses is not the same as that employed for SFBB

It’s light. In a tube. What’s so different about it?

bruneep

Research is being done so that EO customers can receive SFBB, nothing wrong with the quality of the wiring just how it runs. Plus many EO fed customers received an excellent ADSL service when many others who were cab fed at longer distances did not, swings and roundabouts i’m afraid

I know you are generalising in that statement^ however I get line faults every 3-4 months that cause my BB to lock out. BTO blame everything apart from their equipment. If it was exclusive to me I’d maybe see their point however when it happens to just about everyone in the street at some point they need to look at their equipment.

Due to BT Aluminium wiring legacy from 1992 we are stuck with a pap system. I don’t stay in some remote area I’m in the alleged oil capital of Europe.

mrchrispy

Absolutely nothing of value to add but I should point out that it took me 45min to download 25Gb of battlefield4 the other week 😀

Thats hardly enough time to put the kids to bed ffs!

Murray

I’m in the same situation. Economically not viable to do our cabinet. Rest of the village has been done. No end in sight.

It needs the government to govern and make it universal provision.

leftyboy
    Free Member

Now got the word DSLAM on the pavement so subject to planning permission we ‘may’ be getting fibre after all.

<rant>Sadly no-one but BT/Openreach knows if we are getting fibre and if we are when we are!</rant>

brassneck

Thermite? You’ll just need a few dozen Etch A Sketches and some rust…
    Don’t think it even has to be DN6 rust 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Fibre rollout reaches village but…’ is closed to new replies.