Fiat Ducato funniness…. Loss of power.

• This topic has 16 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 3 weeks ago by  mc.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Fiat Ducato funniness…. Loss of power.
  • alpin

Just picked up a 2011 3ltr 150ish bhp Ducato. Drove several hundred miles back south and no dramas…. until we pulled off the Autobahn, stopped at the lights,pulled away, engine light comes on and loss of power.

Let the van stand for an hour or two. Engine light still on, but power restored. Back on the Autobahn and power dies again. Not complete loss of power, more limp mode.

Sold as seen, so not going to get much come back from seller.

Going to have to wait till Monday before I can take it to a garage.

Any heart warming stories or tales of doom?

Premier Icon epicyclo
    Subscriber

alpin

I suspect you may be the author… 🙂

alpin

The former or the latter?

Premier Icon tomaso
    Subscriber

It could just be a sense or dirty oil, but it could be all sorts of other things too. I guess a code reader is the first step.

regenesis

Most likely the EGR.

Premier Icon oldtennisshoes
    Subscriber

Could the limp mode just be the turbo not running?

mc

Lots, but I won’t lull you into any kind of false sense of hope, or impending financial ruin until you’ve had the codes read.

trail_rat

Most likely the EGR.

Can I borrow your crystal ball next week

Premier Icon Clink
    Subscriber

Had this on my Transit Custom and it was a hole in the hose taking air into the engine. New hose and sorted.

trail_rat

Just to be clear

Limp mode is what happens when any number of engine lunching faults happen.

It could be any number of things.

As MC said. Various degrees of doom and gloom come with each option but based on the op ….no one knows at this stage

Premier Icon Andy R
    Subscriber

When you had the engine stopped for an hour was that with the ignition key in or removed?
    Could possibly be MAP sensor but equally could be any number of things.

Transit 2.2. Identical symptoms. A hole in the hose from the intercooler to the intake manifold. £10 replacement hose sorted it.

Premier Icon spev
    Subscriber

Try disconnecting the maf/map sensor, it’s on the air intake pipe just after the filter, it’ll use a bit more fuel but if it runs fine then sorted, only suggest it as that was the same problem with my scudo

mc

I’m trying to decide what’s strongest in this thread, the parts darts game, the crystal balls, or the lack of understanding of what modern engine components do?

trail_rat

Those bits that the engine doesn’t actually need they just put in for fun ?

cbike

That’s the same symptoms I had when my exhaust gas temp sensor failed resulting in a sooty dpf. It required a regen. No codes were recorded and it took a while to diagnose. Turbo and leaky hose were first investigated and dismissed. Ford Mondeo. £800ish.

mc

There are always codes stored, it’s just there are far too many ‘trained’ monkeys that are that far out their depth, I’m amazed they’re not started to refloat from decomposing, let alone still being able to make shit diagnostics.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.