• This topic has 29 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by zx970.
Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • FGF 612: Very Common Not Very Wealthy Edition
  • Ben_Haworth

It’s a photo-heavy edition of Fresh Goods Friday this week. We hope your broadband connection or cellular data network can handle it!

By ben_haworth

Get the full story on our front page at:

FGF 612: Very Common Not Very Wealthy Edition

Support us from less than £0.06/day and help us keep the content flowing by becoming a full member.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I saw the price on those mavics and thought “that’s good for a big name set of carbon wheels” then I read the description.

ta11pau1

I’ll start.

How much?! The shorts I mean, not the Trek EXe… 😁

kiwijohn

Yeah, nah…
    That last track was way better than expected.

pnik

Skull Tee is Relaxed tit,

Not sure what that means? Ladies t shirt or for my moobs?

montylikesbeer

£12k+ for a push iorn, I’m getting somthing very wrong here.

DickBarton

I’m clearly well out of touch with prices…suspect my lack of interest in the fashion of the sport (I’ve yet to find a comfier riding kit than lycra padded shorts!), but there are a lot of things here that seem to be seriously pricey!

The bit that has surprised me the most is the 10mm socket costing a fiver, I saw the picture and guessed it would be a tenner at least, going on the cost of everything else.

Madness what some people are willing to pay – aware of cost of living, transport costs, etc. – which do aid the price increases – but things are pricey these days.

footflaps

How much! £745 for a child’s bike and it doesn’t even look like a Frog?

I’d be onto trading standards straight away, just after I cancel by STW subscription (for the 14th time this week).

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

£12k+ for a push iorn, I’m getting somthing very wrong here.

If you’re pushing a 12k ebike I humbly suggest you are doing something wrong.

toby1

but there are a lot of things here that seem to be seriously pricey

You bought a tank of diesel recently, it’s about the price of a pair of shorts! World’s gone mad I tell ya!

DickBarton

Yeah…but my brain is wired to consider fuel for the vehicle a necessary evil that I need to pay for – without the fuel, I can’t get to where I need to be for work, taxi services for kids or for social stuff – it isn’t an optional thing.

I guess the difference with the stuff here is that it is optional (unless of course there are no other products available that do the same thing when I need the actual item), hence the price of fuel is bad just now but I pay for it as I’m needing it, this stuff I don’t need so I’m seeing it more objectively and realising that it is a lot of money.

Aware someone did something clever with inflation and all that and priced up the high end kit from the 90s and found it wouldn’t be much cheaper than the high-end stuff of today, but inflation, cost of living crisis and the power of our pound has conspired to make everything more pricey and it is very noticeable now (for all the optional stuff – the necessary stuff is more expensive but as it has been bought frequently the price hike isn’t quite so noticeable unless you compare now to 6 months back).

darthpunk
    Free Member

I’ll say it…….£13K for a bike???

Ducati’s are also available

Northwind

I can afford the socket, excitingly

kelvin

I wouldn’t buy a Ducati ebike, have you seen them?!?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Can we have the “lost touch with financial reality” edition next week?

You bought a tank of diesel recently, it’s about the price of a pair of shorts! World’s gone mad I tell ya!

The difference is Decathlon will sell you a pair of similar shorts for £35, with a half decent padded liner thrown in.

tomhoward

What do the comments sections/forums of sports car enthusiast websites look like when a brand releases something new and 6 figures? Any different to bikes at 5?

ta11pau1

What do the comments sections/forums of sports car enthusiast websites look like when a brand releases something new and 6 figures? Any different to bikes at 5?

It’s a little different as there’s been million pound cars for ages, but mtbs have only recently in the last few years gone over 10k. Not many are saying ‘how much? You could buy a house for that’ as it’s either a dream car that they only ever own as a Lego model, or they’ve already got one ordered and they own several houses worth multi millions.

However, I too am sick of the motorbike comparison – aside from having 2 wheels there’s not much else similar, and yes you can buy a new bottom of the range Ducati for about £11k, you can also buy a Ducati for £90k.

You can buy a MTB for £500 or £15k. Just like the £500 MTB has nothing in common with the £11k Ducati, the £90k Ducati has nothing in common with a £15k eMTB…

chrismac

But you could just get fit and not have to buy the motor bike and just ride a bike like we have all managed for decades. In the alps people are even putting their motorised bikes on the lifts!!!! Why

ta11pau1

In the alps people are even putting their motorised bikes on the lifts!!!! Why

That, yeah I’m not sure about that. Maybe that’s thier only bike?

But you could just get fit and not have to buy the motor bike and just ride a bike like we have all managed for decades.

This, however… I’m all for ebikes. I don’t have one, but I probably will at some point. Don’t want take this off on a tangent but it’s not just for the unfit – it’s for the older (70+) riders who can then ride with 20 something’s all day and keep up. Or for busy people who only have an hour in the evening or morning on a weekday to ride and whom want to get as many laps in as possible, etc etc etc.

Face it, MTB is a middle aged blokes hobby, and most middle aged blokes have plenty of cash. Hell even teenagers these days have 3 grand bikes. I had a sodding £600 hardtail with cable discs and about 120mm suspension.

Anyway, enough – yes some ebikes are expensive. So what. Some are cheap (Vitus esommet is £4000 to £5500). Just because £13k ebikes exist doesn’t mean you have to buy them.

redsnail

I just sold mine. Still upset about it. 🙁 Beautiful 1991 400SS

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Depends, probably similar if what kit car started including the kinds of one off specials you might see in Octane?

tomhoward

I had a sodding £600 hardtail with cable discs and about 120mm suspension.

Let’s not get into a Monty Python sketch… (but, £200, canti’s, 580mm bars, rigid)

Just because £13k ebikes exist doesn’t mean you have to buy them.

This. Nor do they make other, cheaper, bikes worse.

ctk
    Free Member

£130 for shorts though!

tthew

Some are cheap (Vitus esommet is £4000 to £5500).

Is that what counts as cheap in your world? Blimey.

zerocool

Ebikes are also good for parents who have young kids that need towing up all the hills (3-5 year olds for example).

And if you only have 1 bike then why wouldn’t you put it on a chairlift or uplift? What are you going to do? Hire a bike just for a trip to the alps or BPW when you have a perfectly good ebike?

pfrumpy
    Free Member

I’m in the “how much?” camp, too. Bah, humbug.

MrOvershoot

I’m just glad that at last STW have noticed that L & XL bikes have silly low bars compared to other sizes, any pictures of my bikes “XL” the bars are way below the saddle in the riding position and you feel pitched forward all the time

rickon
    Free Member

Saw this ‘Price: £13.250’.

Spat my coffee.

Said out loud to myself “**** off!”.

And yes, I’m essentially a dentist and this is a bike aimed at me.

Are bikes going to become an unsustainable business model if they don’t get a handle on the prices? Will people just suck it up, and switch to PCP style deals?

I cannnot see myself spending more than £5k on a bike, and I’m someone who used to swap bikes every 12 – 18 months, buying £3k+ frames and parts.

tomhoward

this is a bike aimed at me.

I cannnot see myself spending more than £5k on a bike,

Apparently it isn’t. It’s aimed at the guy (and, invariably, it is a guy) who walks into a shop, asks what the best is, and hands over a Coutts card. Or has his secretary do it.

zx970
    Free Member

I swore I’d never write this, but I can’t stop myself – HOW MUCH???? So, essentially this bike is aimed at the More Money Than Sense brigade.

BTW at what point in time did Power Sockets (tells you what it does) become Plug Sockets (tells you nothing)?

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.